Normal Life? or anywhere near.

lilla

Dislikes
The usual, bigots; dictators........
Mongoose,
I feel llike i only just got over the sudden death of my husband at the end of last year (he died 6 yrs ago) just started to feel balanced, is that, what i mean by normal? Blalanced...........mmmm i think it may be. I had been coping with my father and all his medical problems in a hands off type of sense, taking him to hospital appointment and the like, for the first time in our whole relationship we became close, this last 3 years has been a gift, but he passed 2 weeks before i got this news the funeral was the day before i got this news; Now; im a trooper and all that, but im pretty warn out with Changes and not very subtle ones at that! :crazy: I think as Gracek thinks and some others, that much of this is down to shock, too many shocks over the years.
I do appreciate though, that there is no need to panic, although i am, and it has helped so much to hear what everyone has to say.
Gappy, you sound like a wirlwind, on an adventure, you must write that book, im sure we would ll like to read it.
Grace, much of what you have written is an echo of my own experiences, and i thought that was my saying "The only thing you can rely on, is that nothing will ever stay the same" well talk about self fulfilling prophecy!

I will keep asking and no doubt will duplicate a few worries, as you all ay though it takes a while for all this to sink in, plus i have an awful memory :oops:

robertwt

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Dislikes
Rudeness, bad driving, incautious use of English
Hi Lilla,
Here's some off the cuff observations:

Find your own rhythm/routine
I found that the best way to retain an element of normality is to find a routine. 'Get up, test your bloods, insulin and tablet, breakfast' etc. I even have "Insulin and tablets" as a daily reminder (at 21:00) on my phone and "late blood test" at 23:00. This after 16 years.

Plan ahead
During my time as a T1, I have travelled extensively and never found changes of country, continent or clock any problem. It has taken a bit of planing (remember that proper planning prevents p**s poor performance) - particularly with taking insulin/meds but it can be done. I am vegetarian and won't order the veggie option on transatlantic flights because they are almost inevitably sugary. Diabetic meals are usually chicken, So I dip out big-time. The answer is to take a coupe of smoked salmon sarnies or ask , in advance, for a fish main meal. The detail is unimportant: the lesson - plan ahead - is.

If you are on insulin, carry your glucose tabets.

Don't beat yourself up
Hell, it's only a slight malfunction of an almost teeny weeny little organ.

and really, it isn't as bad as all that.

Just remember that normal is a setting on a washing machine.

Robert wt

lilla

Dislikes
The usual, bigots; dictators........
Hi Robert,

That all seems like sound advice, me and routine do not exactly go together, im willing to work on it though, like many other things i will now have to take on board.

Were you vegetarian before you were diabetic? or were you a rabid meat eater, and changed to help the condition?
I like the washing machine analogy, i will remember that.

Thank you for commenting, it all helps.
Lilla

MaryJ

Fraddycat said:
robertwt said:
Just remember that normal is a setting on a washing machine.

Robert wt

I love that Robert! Classic, who wants to be normal anyway! I'm special!

lol spot one.

I remember being on a diversity course years ago and the opening gambit was

" hands up if you want your tombstone to read "here lies xxxx xxxxxx, she was so normal""

Mary x