Denied entry to a club because I was carrying needles!

robertwt

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Dislikes
Rudeness, bad driving, incautious use of English
I like Debloubed's fourth option. It's what happens at airports (about half of the time. Perhaps because of the level of security, folks like us with pointy things in our hand luggage are coming to the surface more often than we used to so leading security staff to a comfortable familiarity with the problem.

I was particularly impressed with the response 'food outlets etc and first aid room. That is a good man. The sort of jovial security guy you want beside you when your hypo strikes!

Robert wt

jleafe

Thanks everyone, really happy with the amount of responses I have seen, although I find it strange, yet reassuring that nobody else has really encountered this.

sandyb29a said:
Maybe I was just lucky but on my last visit to a gig at the Barrowlands in Glasgow, I was frisked on entry.
The security guard saw my injection pen and asked if I was diabetic, when I said that I was he pointed out that there were food outlets on all floors in case I needed to eat and that there was a first aid station on the first floor.
As I say , maybe I was just lucky but I'd like to think that some venues train their staff effectively?
Sandy

I guess this is the difference between a small local club and the bigger ones. I think it's imperative that all staff should be better trained in these fields.
It's good to read some of the stories on this thread, about the care and attentiveness of some of the staff.

Osidge said:
The club mentioned at the beginning of this thread has clearly breached the Equality Act (which consolidated the Disability Discrimination Act - DDA) and a civil action can be taken in the County Court for compensation for the discrimination you have suffered. It is only by exercising our rights as disabled people that we will get service providers to treat us fairly. By all means contact the press but a trip to a Citizens Advice Bureau or local disability action group to initiate action under the Equality Act would be my advice.

Take care.

Doug
(Previously Policy Manager of the first rights of access to goods and services in the DDA for the Government Disabilty Policy Division)

You know it's really strange that... I felt discriminated against and as all of us agree, what they did was wrong, but I never even thought about such legislation. I feel that too much time has passed now to kick up a fuss about what happened before, but by all means if it happens again next time I go there, I won't let it ruin my night!

robertwt said:
"Doctors Note... To whom it may concern
Jleafe is suffering from diabetes and it is imperative that he carries his insulin pen with him at all times"

Also a great idea Robertwt, I might just do this, as I am sure that in future, armed with a doctors note and a reminder of the Anti-Discrimination Laws and the Equality Act, I won't have such a problem.

Thanks everyone :)

Osidge

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Bullies.
Glad our contributions helped.

Take care and enjoy life.

Doug

stephiesut

I worked in a nightclub for years and they never had any issue with diabetics or people with allergies taking needles in. I know they need to keep clubs safe but there is a huge difference between a drug dealer/thug taking in needles to use as a weapon and someone with a medical issue taking them in.

I am surprised any club would offer to look after insulin etc, I wouldn't trust a club to look after anything like that for me, nor as a worker in one would I want to be responsible for looking after that sort of thing.

I am type one and keep spare lancets in my test kit, if anyone refused me entry to anywhere with those they would have a very grumpy me to deal with :D

Sarah69

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anything healthy!
I don't understand why you need to take insulin into a nightclub anyway? When I've been out clubbing I never have.

Tiffus

To fly its recommended you take a GP letter with for your kit, can you not do the same when going out? What's the name of the club, I'd happily write to them or the papers for you. Show them up i would.

princesskerry

My best friend is diabetic and she has been so lucky, 9 times out of 10 she has never been checked and the odd times we have been asked we have been told if we have any problems we are welcome to come to reception and use the main office to inject.
She may just be lucky, but she has never told me of any uncomfortable incidents she had and she used to go out 3 or 4 nights a week.