statins

kathiehayhoe

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I was diagnosed with Type 2 in Sept 2009 and put on Statins in Jan 2010. Since then I have had problems with not only muscle cramps but also a huge increase in migraine/cluster headaches. I have a persistent headache that then manifests as a migraine and it seems to have only started since taking statins. Has anyone else had a similar experience?

viviennem

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Football. Bad manners.
Many people can take statins with no trouble at all, but a number of us have had bad side-effects (muscle/joint pains, foggy brains, for instance).

I suggest you Google "statin side-effects", and see what you get. Have a look at the pro-statin sites as well as the antis. The one anti site I would recommend you look at is "spacedoc.net" (Google for it) and see what he says.

Some statins have a worse reputation than others, Simvastatin being one. If you really need them because of high cholesterol, then ask to change variety. The main thing is, inform yourself about them and then make a decision. No one can force you to take them if you don't want to!

Hope this helps. :D

Viv 8)

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
kathiehayhoe said:
I was diagnosed with Type 2 in Sept 2009 and put on Statins in Jan 2010. Since then I have had problems with not only muscle cramps but also a huge increase in migraine/cluster headaches. I have a persistent headache that then manifests as a migraine and it seems to have only started since taking statins. Has anyone else had a similar experience?

I would go back and see your gp and tell them about the side-effects you are experiencing, they may put you on an alternative statin or take you off them altogether, either way it's best that you discuss your problems with them rather than carry on without saying anything.

darcy5211

I have mild right hand artery disease, high blood pressure,high cholesterol and type 2 diabetes. I tried all different Statins, but the side effetcs were unbearable. I went back to my cardiologist who prescribed Fibrazate XL 400mg once a day....woo hooo, they suit me!!!! I also taske Metformin, Lisiniprol, Asprin and Amolodipine....
I have been told that Statins have been banned in America!!! Dont know if its true!