Sugar Free Meringues

Sassco

Hi some time ago I saw a recipe on here for sugar free meringues with nuts. I tried to find it again to copy it & have no idea where I saw it. Can anyone help? Desperate!!!

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I posted a recipe some time ago for a hazelnut roularde is that the one you're looking for? -
if so it's on the last page of the recipe thread - think its called Raspberry & hazelnut roularde

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2856&start=180

Sassco

Hi, yes it was the roularde - this is it. Thanks must try it. Love meringues but haven't had it in 8 years. Thanks again.

Rachel (Sassco)

judyann1

This is what i miss when eating out - the big meringues filled with raspberries, blackberries and whipped cream!! Now ive found this recipe today, im going to try it -cant wait!!

g0mrl

Sugar free meringues sounds ike a contradiction in terms. If they have no sugar, they aren't meringues!

moonfruit

at the risk of sounding like a complete noob!
after finding the recipe for these sugar free meringues, can I ask what type of vinegar to use in this recipe?
can't wait to try them out Mmmmmm....... :crazy:

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
g0mrl said:
Sugar free meringues sounds ike a contradiction in terms. If they have no sugar, they aren't meringues!

Technically it isn't a meringue it's a roulade -it is meant to be soft and marshmallowy not dry and crunchy like a traditional meringue, as a trained chef and baker I agree replacing sugar with sweetener will never give the optimum results but in this recipe it is pretty close,

Moonfruit, I use apple cider vinegar simply because that what I use for other recipes but ordinary white vinegar is fine - just don't use the chip shop stuff! :lol: just a note for anyone don't be tempted to use lemon juice thinking it is acidic like vinegar - it has the complete opposite effect and breaks the egg whites down into water! You can add half a teaspoon of cream of tartar as well if you like - this will stabilise the whites also

Enjoy :D
LL

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
You can easily make sugar free meringues using Spenda as a sugar substitute. I find using about 2/3 Splenda and 1/3 Xylitol makes them very well. I do this because Xylitol is so expensive. I gives good texture. I grind it down to caster sugar texture.
Hana