Self testing and low carbiing

HpprKM

Dislikes
Self absorbed and rude people! Motorists who are oblivious to the rest of the world, and really don't give a ****!
I recently had my annual review withy diabetic nurse. This is my second meeting with her, as with the first visit, I found she only wants to tell me the standard spiel expected by many of their colleagues. With no desire to hear what I want to say, but talk down to me, cutting me short in both topics of self testing and low carving. Saying there is no benefit at all. I made it clear that I try be proactive in my handling of my diabetes, which mercifully is relative under control. Telling I belong to this forum, she proceeded to offer me the NHS diet book. She also, as good as said, that no matter what I fi my diabetes will deteriorate. Well thanks for the positivity!

Can someone please explain to me why these people feel they have the right to tell me how to handler diabetes, and become borderline aggressively when I wish to present or discuss my options? Why are they do anti low carbiing and self testing?

I have to say I have little desire to meet with her next year, she pooh poohed my right leg pain as being lumbago, ignoring my comment that I understood that lumbago was a secondary problem. My suggestion of peripheral neuropathy tossed out the window yet again, saying that glucose levels were not high enough to cause damage. Yes, but what about previous levels!

Fraddycat

Hi,

Sorry to hear you've had such a disappointing meeting with the DN. It certainly doesn't make you want to go again does it??

My DN is relatively supportive of my low carbing - in the short term - but she still seems to take pleasure in telling me that Diabetes is a progressive disease and no matter what I do it will eventually get worse (I didn't even try to argue that one) she also said she didn't want me to aim lower on my BGs than 6.3, she said any lower than that could be masking very low readings and she would be very concerned. I did say that I am controlling my BGs in a tight range but she didn't listen. I will just rock up next time and present her with my membership card for the 5% club (fingers crossed) and she can stick it where the sun doesn't shine.

Thankfully, because she can see that I am making an effort she is willing to prescribe me strips occasionally.

CollieBoy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi carb Foods
HpprKM said:
Can someone please explain to me why these people feel they have the right to tell me how to handler diabetes, and become borderline aggressively when I wish to present or discuss my options? Why are they do anti low carbiing and self testing?
It is the arrogance of lack of knowledge and the desire to set herself above the mere patients.
Didn't you know that when you become a patient, your brain shrivels up like a raisin! :twisted:
When a patient tries to assert themself it is seen by them like you are stamping on their prize lawn with studded rugby boots :shock:

As revenge for this, I save up a series of complex medical cases to ask the HCP about :twisted: and baffle her with the data I have found :thumbup: :thumbup:

GraceK

Dislikes
Marzipan
Insincere people
Big cities
Vulgarity
FergusCrawford said:
HpprKM said:
It is the arrogance of lack of knowledge and the desire to set herself above the mere patients.
Didn't you know that when you become a patient, your brain shrivels up like a raisin! :twisted:
When a patient tries to assert themself it is seen by them like you are stamping on their prize lawn with studded rugby boots :shock:

As revenge for this, I save up a series of complex medical cases to ask the HCP about :twisted: and baffle her with the data I have found :thumbup: :thumbup:

Ooooh you little devil Fergie!

Hppr ... The other thing that we can do in cases like this is smile sweetly, nod your head, look as if you're listening and then go about your business of successfully managing your own diabetes in the way you know works for you. If you KNOW it's working for you, then don't waste time trying to convert others if they really show signs of not wanting to know. It will wear you out and you need your energy for yourself.

The very nature of being a 'professional' anything means years of studying usually one particular subject for many, many years and following a well trodden path - in my opinion 'professionalism' in that context leads to something similar to that phrase about the definition of insanity as 'doing the same thing over and over but expecting to get different results every time'.

The NHS is a traditionally long winded medical organisation. In fact I'd go so far as to say that now, like many other organisations, it's just a machine churning out what it churned out yesterday and the day before and the day before. And some things which are glaringly obvious to 'lay people' are absolutely invisible to the professionals. For the NHS to sit up and take notice, something has to hit it like a thunderbolt out of the blue, then there's a flurry of excitement and we hear the 'professionals' enthusing about stuff we were telling them about donkeys years ago. :roll:

I'm such a cynic! :yawn:

Bob67

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
HpprKM said:
but talk down to me, cutting me short in both topics of self testing and low carving. Saying there is no benefit at all. I made it clear that I try be proactive in my handling of my diabetes, which mercifully is relative under control. T

I hope I don't get to the point where I have to self carve to control my 'betes :lol: :wave:

BioHaZarD

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
GraceK - Hppr ... The other thing that we can do in cases like this is smile sweetly, nod your head, look as if you're listening and then go about your business of successfully managing your own diabetes in the way you know works for you.

The only problem with this is they will not learn anything and believe it was them that made you manage diabetes well when in fact it was you.

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
I don't know why they behave like this in some places. Luckily the team at our surgery are not like this. However, I do quote studies to them. I also ask them what they think a non-diabetic Blood glucose is. Mostly they don't know, but it's quoted on the leaflets that come with test strips as being in the range of about 4 - 4.5.[ it varies a bit between brands] I think they actually do believe what they say and aren't open minded enough to look at the eevidence in front of them. Since it's us that suffer if we get it wrong, we must do what we feel is best for ourselves, despite them.

Hana

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Biohazard:

The only problem with this is they will not learn anything and believe it was them that made you manage diabetes well when in fact it was you.

Well, my DSN doesnt flippin' well believe me and has virtually called me a liar.

So she is not going to learn anything, is she : (

CollieBoy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi carb Foods
lucylocket61 said:
Well, my DSN doesnt flippin' well believe me and has virtually called me a liar.

So she is not going to learn anything, is she : (
But they say: Theres none so blind,who will not see :clap:

GraceK

Dislikes
Marzipan
Insincere people
Big cities
Vulgarity
BioHaZarD said:
GraceK - Hppr ... The other thing that we can do in cases like this is smile sweetly, nod your head, look as if you're listening and then go about your business of successfully managing your own diabetes in the way you know works for you.

Yes, I realise that Bio ... but I hate to say this ... I'm not paid to educate NHS staff ... there are people within the NHS who are paid good money to do just that ... and if they're not doing it I certainly don't have the time or energy to do it for free. My main concern at the moment is ME and MY welfare and if that means I don't spend my 10 minutes consultation banging my head against a brick wall ... that's just how it is.

BioHaZarD

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
GraceK said:
BioHaZarD said:

Yes, I realise that Bio ... but I hate to say this ... I'm not paid to educate NHS staff ... there are people within the NHS who are paid good money to do just that ... and if they're not doing it I certainly don't have the time or energy to do it for free. My main concern at the moment is ME and MY welfare and if that means I don't spend my 10 minutes consultation banging my head against a brick wall ... that's just how it is.

I agree with you, but I would rather argue and say I am doing what I believe and see what's right, so they understand or "not" that they had no influence in getting my control, only me :D

GraceK

Dislikes
Marzipan
Insincere people
Big cities
Vulgarity
If you have the energy and time to argue, go ahead. I totally support enlightening HCPs about what we've discovered for ourselves. But please realise that others may not be in YOUR position YET.

My point is that in the EARLY STAGES when we're still exhausted from years of misdiagnoses, still depleted from years of incorrect medications and treatments and being sent down inappropriate NHS 'pathways' - believe me I was almost ready for the Liverpool Care Pathway and we all know about that from recent news stories don't we ... we need to CONSERVE our own energy at this vital stage and not expend it inappropriately by 'casting pearls before swine'. Newly diagnosed people need to get on with SURVIVING the NHS disinformation they've been subjected to and later on, when they've got their second wind ... THEN THEY CAN GO FULL STEAM AHEAD.

Remember that newbies firstly have to learn that a lot of the information they've received from the NHS is wrong, secondly they need time to ACCEPT that to be the case, thirdly they have to learn to TRUST a bunch of total strangers on the forum and fourthly, they have to learn to use their own discernment again and build up their confidence in dealing with their DNs etc.

Seedlings need nurturing and time to germinate before they can grow into strong and thriving plants. :)

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I personally believe ALL medical personnel dealing with diabetes should have to prove that they have read Dr Bernstein and Jenny Ruhl's books before they're allowed to give advice to anyone.

The very fact that Dr Bernstein is still alive is proof that he knows what he's talking about!!!

geordieboy57

When I show my diary of readings, my GP says he never believes diabetics! So why insist that I keep the diary? I was diagnosed type2 6 years ago, went on medication then out of the blue put on insulin! After 3 years I was told the insulin doesn't work for me and went back on metformin. I have told my GP that I have tried low carb diets yet he still refuses to refer me to a dietician so I can get professional advice.

Gp just like to boast how he sits on a special Diabetics Panel, yet ignores the needs of his patients.