Diabetic Complications Poll

Should members be allowed to discuss the causes and reality of diabetic complications

• Yes

Votes: 72 93.5%
  • No

Votes: 5 6.5%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

xyzzy

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Undeserving authority figures of all kinds and idiots.
I think being able to tell another member that diabetic complications are real and happen and why they occur is very important even if it worries or frightens another person.

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I am worried and frightened about taking part in your poll, in case i get banned.

Unbeliever

lucylocket61 said:
I am worried and frightened about taking part in your poll, in case i get banned.

Probably onluy be temporary Lucy. You could keep Defren company.

xyzzy

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
lucylocket61 said:

Yes I can understand that entirely Lucy given what I've been told happened to you.

GraceK

Dislikes
Marzipan
Insincere people
Big cities
Vulgarity
I can't answer a straight yes or no to this poll question because I believe that YES members should be allowed to discuss the causes and reality of diabetic complications but NO I do not believe that discussion should take place where newly diagnosed members will walk straight into the discussion before they've even hung their coat up in the hallway and discovered the very BASIC information they need to know to start off with.

As I've said before, the majority of newbies in their initial posts use terms like 'I'm scared, I'm terrified, I'm lost, please help me, I don't know what to do'. To me that doesn't sound like they need to be any more overwhelmed with horror stories AT THAT PARTICULAR STAGE IN THEIR JOURNEY WITH DIABETES. People can only take in so much at a time and whilst those who DO have complications may be perfectly OK with sharing their information, they shouldn't forget that they've had a lot longer than the newby to get their head round it.

Newbies are in shock, when they want to know something, they'll ask. When they have a particular symptom of a complication, they'll usually ask if anyone knows what it is. And I think the DIABETES COMPLICATIONS section should remain totally available to those with complications who want to discuss them, but I don't think they should openly discuss complications with a view to EDUCATING OTHERS. I think that's patronising to be honest. If we really want to be helpful to others less experienced, we'll be sensitive to their feelings and to the stage of acceptance they're in.

I don't know enough about how forums work technically, but isn't there some kind of mechanism which could give newbies access to only certain kinds of basic information for a period of time until they can digest that and are ready to move on to the possibilities of complications. Remember they may or may not be aware of the fact that complications can arise but they just may not wish to read all about the gory details. They're coming to the forum for support and overwhelming them with the complications of diabetes may just not be appropriate for them and may actually make them head for the door.

GraceK

Dislikes
Marzipan
Insincere people
Big cities
Vulgarity
lucylocket61 said:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Stop it. My sides are already aching from yesterday's exercise class. :D

xyzzy

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Bumping this up as it got posted very late yesterday.

DavideB

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diabetes
Forum: A meeting or medium where ideas and views on a particular issue can be exchanged.....

Does not mention scaremongering...So I voted NO..

To me this forum is for advice and Help: We are not doctors, we are victims of an illness that 80% of it is our fault for being lard arses and eating the wrong stuff and not taking any exercise..

New people coming on here for the first time are scared and just want some help...NOT to be told about the complications, their doctor will tell them that, It's not our place to go and scare someone. We are not Doctors nor Gods ..

The best thing on this forum is the HELP, ADVISE, And the GOOD HUMOR,

A

Anonymous

DavideB said:
NOT to be told about the complications, their doctor will tell them that,

Wow - did I miss a lot by not visiting the forum for a couple of days !

Defren? banned? bloody ridiculous !
Doctors don't always tell you about diabetic complications David - mine didn't - it was a nasty video at a foot clinic that did that but much much later.

If you don't manage your diabetes then you may go blind and your feet might fall off - some people might call the scaremongering. I call it motivation.

Swim

Fallenstar

In my opinion there is a section on this forum that is quiet adequate to discuss theses matters. I have read and found some members constantly banging on in a overly dramatic way about horrendous (possible) complications (even with Hba1c's in the 4's and 5's) and it was tedious at times,if not very amusing, but that's just my perspective on it.

All very dramatic and over the top. Yes, diabetic complications are part of a Diabetics life. I was told by my Endo it's a bit of a lottery at the end of the day, he has well controlled Diabetics who have been this way for decades who have terrible complications and ones with poor control who have none. Not to say I believe good control does not limit the risks.

The way some posters bang on about feet dropping off and eyes turning to blood it in my opinion over the top,well we all go out the door on a morning but it don't mean your going to get run over by a Bus.....stop all the drama and pathetic arguments...maybe get out a bit more.

MaryJ

I can't say it's jumped out at me that people are 'always' going on about complications.

One of the first things I googled on diagnosis was 'complications' I wanted to know what might happen to me.

Mary x

BioHaZarD

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Education is the key, if someone enquiries about what complications there may be, then we answer. This is what started the post in the first place.

Hobs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
Argumenative barstifferous (new word *lol*) types who think that they know everything *wink*
As we are not medically qualified and most probably without medically qualified forum staff, only opinions can be offered and NONE should be taken as fact.

This needs to be made plain before someone holds the forum owner legally responsible for misrepresentation of established medical facts.
In the UK it is impossible to disclaim responsibilities laid down by the law.

Fraddycat

I needed to know the risks and complications to get my diet sorted and my life back on track. Having watched my diabetic grandmother die blind, in a wheelchair and ultimately of kidney failure, I have no intention of following suit. I support discussion about Diabetes Complications.

benedict

Administrator
Complications and avoiding them are a big part of diabetes. The key to discussion of complications is appropriate sensitivity.

I probably can't stress this hard enough.

With thanks
Benedict

IanD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Carbohydrates
Hobs said:
As we are not medically qualified and most probably without medically qualified forum staff, only opinions can be offered and NONE should be taken as fact.

This needs to be made plain before someone holds the forum owner legally responsible for misrepresentation of established medical facts.

I hope everyone who comes to the forum understands that - BUT
everyone who goes to a Dr or medical professional expects & accepts the medical info to be FACT.
It is NOT - it is expert opinion & may be wrong - as many of the contributors to the forum have found.

When I was diagnosed 12 years ago, & on diagnosis I was told ALL the complications I was now prone to AND told that diabetes was progressive, so that my condition WOULD deteriorate. "Don't think you've failed - D is progressive, however well you follow the diet & exercise recommendations. While you are here, I will compute the PROBABILITY of a heart attack. (25%)"

As predicted, 8 years on I becoming crippled - my active life was over. Then I found this forum & the strong recommendation by long-departed forum members to adopt a low carb diet. 4 1/2 years on, I am fit & well.

This forum is primarily to share the experience of real diabetics & where possible give real advice, not some theoretical "party line" put out by medical professionals who only know what they have learned in college, & whose experience is the second hand experience of those who follow their advice & suffer the predicted consequences.

Ashleigh

DavideB said:
Forum: A meeting or medium where ideas and views on a particular issue can be exchanged.....

Does not mention scaremongering...So I voted NO..

To me this forum is for advice and Help: We are not doctors, we are victims of an illness that 80% of it is our fault for being lard arses and eating the wrong stuff and not taking any exercise..

New people coming on here for the first time are scared and just want some help...NOT to be told about the complications, their doctor will tell them that, It's not our place to go and scare someone. We are not Doctors nor Gods ..

The best thing on this forum is the HELP, ADVISE, And the GOOD HUMOR,
Is that so? My doctor didnt tell me anything about complications, all she told me was to get more exercise, and that I could have treats once a week. When I asked for a meter she said no as people get obsessive with them. I didnt bother arguing as mine was already in the post. She only offered me another GTT in 6 months.

borofergie

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Racism, Sexism, Homophobia
Hobs said:

I don't understand this. It is very, very, likely that if you don't treat your diabetes with respect, then you'll suffer complications.

Even as a non-diabetic, if you don't manage your diet to some degree, you'll probably suffer long term consequences. This is the message that the NHS, and the Government, and every health insititution has been broadcasting to us for the last 50 years. I'm not aware of anyone who thinks that it is not an absolute fact.

There is no question of misrepresentation of anything, in fact it's in direct support of current healthcare policy.

DavideB

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diabetes
I am reading post that people are saying that their doctors are not saying anything....This Diabetes thingy is not new, it's been around awhile any of you lot thought about asking the doctor when you was told what are the complications? I mean I would think that that would be an obvious question to ask.

People that come on here for the first time are scared and want support and some advise not being scared to death....There is enough of that on the net.

Type2 WHY? because the majority of us are/where FAT and did not look after ourselves and did not take note of all the scaremongering/advice about healthy diets..NOW we are low Carb freaks saying how wonderful it is. Load of TOSH give me a mince pice. Indian, Pizza any day.. I do not kid myself I messed up my life with the way I was. but now am fitter, lost a lot of weight and eat well BUT HAVE THIS ***** DIEBETES for the rest of my life...So lets stop the scaremongering and support instead....

Ashleigh

DavideB said:
I am reading post that people are saying that their doctors are not saying anything....This Diabetes thingy is not new, it's been around awhile any of you lot thought about asking the doctor when you was told what are the complications? I mean I would think that that would be an obvious question to ask.

People that come on here for the first time are scared and want support and some advise not being scared to death....There is enough of that on the net.

Type2 WHY? because the majority of us are/where FAT and did not look after ourselves and did not take note of all the scaremongering/advice about healthy diets..NOW we are low Carb freaks saying how wonderful it is. Load of TOSH give me a mince pice. Indian, Pizza any day.. I do not kid myself I messed up my life with the way I was. but now am fitter, lost a lot of weight and eat well BUT HAVE THIS **** DIEBETES for the rest of my life...So lets stop the scaremongering and support instead....

If you dont know that diabetes has complications, you cant ask what they are. You dont know that you dont know something until you know about it if that makes sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.