Is it true?

dawnmc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Up early as per, strolling through the forum, then read that defren has been banned. Is this true, what did she do/say that deserved that? Anyone enlighten me.

dawnmc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
check out 'diabetics complications poll'

benedict

Administrator
Yes, I took the decision to suspend Defren.

I believe that Defren feels it's important to tell people bluntly about the adverse effects of diabetes.

I have spoken to Defren in the past about this. She believes she is right to say what she says. I admire this on one hand but I don't think it's appropriate for the wide range of members, with differing control, different dietary needs and different types of diabetes, that we have on the forum.

I don't feel Defren took this on board and felt a suspension would be the only way to get across that a change in style of communication needs to be made.

With best regards and best wishes to Defren

Benedict

Ashleigh

benedict said:

I believe that Defren feels it's important to tell people bluntly about the adverse effects of diabetes.

I have spoken to Defren in the past about this. She believes she is right to say what she says. I admire this on one hand but I don't think it's appropriate for the wide range of members, with differing control, different dietary needs and different types of diabetes, that we have on the forum.
I don't feel Defren took this on board and felt a suspension would be the only way to get across that a change in style of communication needs to be made.

Benedict
why not? everyone potentially faces the same complications, do they not? Why should people not be informed of that? and from the beginning? If people come here, and dont see info about complications, they may think that they are ok, that this isnt really that serious etc and leave the forum before they have found out about the thngs that could happen to them and go off and carry on as they were.

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I truly think that the admin have lost sight of the fact that this forum is not about organising a tea-party. Its about saving lives and limbs and eyesight and important stuff like that.

Yes, sometimes we can be too blunt. I take that point on board and will bear it in mind. But I feel the admin response to that bluntness by bannings, deletions and now a ban on the very subject, is also disproportionate and too blunt. It has upset a lot of people, as evidenced by the amount of new threads and postings on the subject.

and stress is bad for our blood sugar levels.

benedict

Administrator
Ashleigh, there are plenty of threads about complications, it's about how it's communicated.

From the posts that Defren has put up over the months, it seems she firmly believes that eating any more than very small amounts of carbohydrate will lead to complications and it has been put in blunt ways that have put off a number of new and long time members. It had to stop as it had already gone too far.
[I withdraw the comment above as it is based on a post which I have to admit I have taken out of context and realised too late.]

Lucy, no subject has been banned. It's about talking about it in a sensitive and reasonable manner.

Benedict

Grazer

benedict said:

Benedict

You obviously take the actions you do in the best interests of the members, rather than from a personal stand. In which case, it is surely worth reading the threads on here such as "grim reaper", grim reaper part two", "censorship" etc, and you'd see what those very members think about such protection. Also worth noting that if Defren or others statements were things like "now you have diabetes, here are the terrible things that are going to happen to you", then I agree it would be scaremongering. However, as they are not, and are based around, "here is what COULD happen, but if you do this, then the good news is it WON'T", then it's not scaremongering. Finally, scaremongering is about exaggerating facts, or lying about an issue, to frighten people. There is no exaggeration in the facts of complications that come with uncontrolled diabetes. I wouldn't have raised the subject of Defren's ban on the forum, but as you have Benedict, I feel that I am free to say how unnecessary I feel it was.

Ashleigh

benedict said:
Ashleigh, there are plenty of threads about complications, it's about how it's communicated.

From the posts that Defren has put up over the months, it seems she firmly believes that eating any more than very small amounts of carbohydrate will lead to complications and it has been put in blunt ways that have put off a number of new and long time members. It had to stop as it had already gone too far.

Lucy, no subject has been banned. It's about talking about it in a sensitive and reasonable manner.

Benedict

can you bump whats been said so people can see why you've all taken the stance you have?

I dont see how 'if you dont control your blood sugars, you may get complications' can be softened. That is a fact and should be stated as such. Personally, I dont think it should be dumbed down. I see nothing wrong with cold hard facts. I'd rather have the truth than a load of wishy washy nonsense.

Ashleigh

benedict said:

Benedict

can you bump whats been said so people can see why you've all taken the stance you have?

I dont see how 'if you dont control your blood sugars, you may get complications' can be softened. That is a fact and should be stated as such. Personally, I dont think it should be dumbed down. I see nothing wrong with cold hard facts. I'd rather have the truth than a load of wishy washy nonsense.

Grazer

benedict said:

Sorry, but I really feel that's wrong. She doesn't believe that at all, nor have I EVER seen her say that. What she, and many others, talk about is the effect of poorly controlled BGs on complications, NOT the effect of carbohydrates per se on complications. It's not even implied. The line most of us take, including Defren, is "whatever works for you", but if it isn't working, then yes you can get complications. I repeat, she has NEVER said or implied that eating more than a very few carbs causes complications.

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Denfren has always stressed her own fears. And cheerfully said that she recognises that her fear of complications may well be ever the top, but it works for her.

and continually points out that this is HER way of dealing with HER diabetes, and is sharing what works for her.

and starting separate, clearly titled thread so as not to clog up existing threads, so only those interested will read them..

Frankly, what more can she do?

again, I will return to my argument about Newbie and Minors having access to limited part of the forum.

benedict

Administrator
I dont see how 'if you dont control your blood sugars, you may get complications' can be softened.

Hi Ashleigh, I see the phrase above as sensitively put and fine. The posts I don't want to see are those that are much more blunt.

Lucy, I don't think that's the right way round. Newbies having limited access to the forum isn't how we should go forward. All we need to do as members is to not get carried away. Defren is very emotive. One one hand that's great but at times it creates difficulties. Look through some of the censorship thread comments and you will find very reasonable people holding a similar viewpoint.

http://www.diabetes.co.uk/diabetes-forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=34665

Benedict

CollieBoy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi carb Foods
lucylocket61 said:
again, I will return to my argument about Newbie and Minors having access to limited part of the forum.
For this we clearly need 2 different filters:
1)for minors Parts of fora which are hidden.
2)for newbies/others an opt in system with post hiding based on tags eg <graphic image> or <complication discussion> where the reader has to choos to view that post.
of course we can get too paranoid with filtering, i once had a case where an external contractor was filtering ou my files due to <racist terminology> and couldnt/wouldnt pass it The culprit : "black " in "Blackburn" , part of the address files for poll card printout for the 2004 euro elections :shock: :shock: That contractor has now lost the contract :D :D

Grazer

benedict said:
Look through some of the censorship thread comments and you will find very reasonable people holding a similar viewpoint.

WHAT! That's a perfect example of the OPPOSITE! One person had reservations, every other person was in favour of bluntness! That's a terrible example to make your point. It's actuaslly the very example that should be used to demonstrate why we SHOULD be blunt.

Patch

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
lucy said:
and stress is bad for our blood sugar levels.

Great point.

Re: limiting access to minor and noobs - NO WAY. Not acceptable. You con't section off parts of a library to new users, why on earth would a forum be any different???

Stop kid gloving everyone that comes here.

xyzzy

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Undeserving authority figures of all kinds and idiots.
benedict said:

That is absolute nonsense and nigh on libelous in my opinion. Defren does not believe that all! All Defren does is exactly what many of us try to do which is to keep our blood glucose levels within the NICE guidelines using a diet only approach with the hope that it will avoid complications later in life. She says what she needs to do to achieve that and readily accepts others may not need to do things her way.

MaryJ

Unfortunately, Defren isn't here to tell us what she thinks, implies, believes,

I for one hope, if the ban stays, she doesn't decide enough is enough, as I think she has helped many people.

Mary x