hello and eating out

lilla

Dislikes
The usual, bigots; dictators........
Pete, I have written down your suggestions, now i feel i am fully loaded with ammunition :) , WOW! it sounds like your feet never touch the ground, which probably is a good thing for people like us :wink:
Will post later re DN visit, im sure bated breath does not apply.

Fraddycat

good luck Lilla, you'll soon get used to all of this, and will be taking it in your stride before you know it!

lilla

Dislikes
Hi Jane,
Thanks for the support, I looked at your stats, im guessing that the low carbs is helping you? I put myself on that the day they told me so that would be 24th oct. I also have high bp. and chol. so Im not sure how to go about this for a long time! it's only been a week and im fed up to the back teeth with vegetables, fish and meat, how i am going to manage for the rest of my life is beyond me.
I see that many people numbers are low and within what is suppose to be normal, does this mean they can indulge in a little pudding or chocolate? Not to worry if you do not feel you can comment on these questions, as im getting it is different for everyone, im kinda just thinking out loud (well writing out loud).
I have never been one or joining clubs, but it looks like I have now, not the best choice, but im liking the members so far, shame we dont all belong to a club called 'Do what the hell you like, and nver mind the conseqeunces', if we did; there would not be many members in a short while. Actually, i think thats the one i belonged to already, thats why i ended up joining this one. :roll: Sorry im rambling, must go put the washing out.

Fraddycat

Hi Lilla, you know what they say, variety is the spice of life! I don't claim to be an expert but I have found that having something new and different to eat really helps. I don't like seafood so I miss out on a whole range of stuff but if you eat it, then that is even more choice for you! Remember all veggies that grow above the ground can be eaten, and you can do some amazing stuff - have a look at the recipe section - here's a link;
viewtopic.php?f=18&t=4871

I joined the forum at the beginning of July and my numbers were pretty high, I was diagnosed some two years before and was following the standard NHS advise, but it didn't work and I was getting pretty poorly. It was not helped by my rather unhealthy attitude to alcohol. But this change to LCHF has changed my life, and I feel so much better for it.

I have found that I can treat myself with double cream (about 30ml) with 2 teaspoons of cocoa powder and a scant teaspoon of splenda (or any other sugar replacement) stir it all together for quite a while and it becomes a thick chocolate mousse. Perfect for after dinner treat. I also like the 3 minute chocolate cake which I serve with double cream .. yum;

3-Minute Chocolate Cake
2 tbsp Butter
2 tbsp Cocoa powder
2,5 tbsp ground almonds
1/2 tsp baking powder
2 Eggs
2 tbsp sweetener
Mix all ingredients, cook in microwave for 3 minutes, serve with cream or buttercream or cream cheese frosting, Da Vinci syrup, berries, whatever you like

Fraddycat

oh and by the way, my cholesterol and bp numbers have come down too, I think its the weight loss as much as anything - 2 stone since January (2 stone still to go). I've been off alcohol now for 60 days and debating with myself whether to start again or stay off it. Its not hard at the mo to avoid it but just wondering whether it will be harder at Christmas, giving it up has made an incredible difference to my weight loss.

Jane

lilla

Dislikes
Jane that sounds delicious, is it permitted?
I guess it must be, Wow, im impressed with your weight loss, fantastic maybe you should just stick to the odd white wine, if you have done so well not drinking.
Christmas must be a very hard time, I will find out for myself first hand soon.
Thank you for the link, and the vegetable advice, is easy to remember.

Defren

lilla said:
Jane that sounds delicious, is it permitted?
I guess it must be, Wow, im impressed with your weight loss, fantastic maybe you should just stick to the odd white wine, if you have done so well not drinking.
Christmas must be a very hard time, I will find out for myself first hand soon.
Thank you for the link, and the vegetable advice, is easy to remember.

Hello lilla, yes, alcohol is allowed, but like with everyone in moderation. It's actually quite a handy tool in the diabetic tool box, if you have a carb heavy meal and a couple of glasses of plonk, the liver has to decide what to deal with first. It goes for the alcohol as that is toxic which gives the carbs chance to digest and so you don't have such a big spike.

I'm tee total, but have heard quite a few people say they have managed, say a celebration meal, with a bit of vino.

Welcome to the forum.

RoyG

Dislikes
To many to mention.
lilla I have the occasional hot chocolate and a drink, I will have spirits with soda, tonic or zero sugar mixer.
Hot chocolate drink
1/2 mug double cream
1/4 mug water and add milk to make up 1/2 mug.
1 teaspoon of cocoa.
2 squares of 85% dark chocolate.
Add cream and milk/water to pan and whisk ingredients till hot, add you chocolate and cocoa, again whisk till all blended and serve with sprinkle of cinnamon on top splenda or stevia to sweeten if required. very few carbs in that. and here is some biscuits to go with it.
They'll hit the spot for your sweet-tooth cravings! :wink:
Minutes to Prepare: 10
Minutes to Cook: 12
Number of Servings: 16
Ingredients
1 cup creamy peanut butter
1 cup Splenda or Stevia, plus a little extra for dusting
1 egg
1 tsp vanilla extract
Directions
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Put all 4 ingredients into a medium size bowl. Mix thoroughly until well blended. Roll dough into walnut sized pieces, and place on a greased cookie sheet. Dip a long-tined fork into a small bit of splenda, and press into the balls making cross hatched design.
Cook for 12 minutes & move to cooling rack. Dust with splenda & cool. Store in an air-tight container.
Number of Servings: 16 around 3.6g of carb per biscuit, I just love them but have to watch myself as I could eat the lot in one go :oops: :oops: And lilla you will start to get to grips with it in a little bit of time, like me you need to first adjust to the diabetes and realise it's not the end but a new beginning on the road to changing your life for the better, it's not a diet you have embarked on but a healthier normal way of living.

goose64

as has been said above don't worry - on meal won't hurt every now and again - last weekend I went out with my friends & had gammon & chips & only had a few chips (about 3) as I did't really fancy them. tomorrow I'm out with the in-laws who I don't want to know I'm diabetic so I'll have a carb free brakfast & not worry too much about lunch

goose64

as has been said above don't worry - on meal won't hurt every now and again - last weekend I went out with my friends & had gammon & chips & only had a few chips (about 3) as I did't really fancy them. tomorrow I'm out with the in-laws who I don't want to know I'm diabetic so I'll have a carb free brakfast & not worry too much about lunch