Is it me?

candyrel

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Dislikes
loathe cheese and yoghurt, spinach, rhubarb and apricots
Since diagnosis in Feb 08 things seem to be intensified.

Before diagnosis - normal headache no problems just get on with it
since diagnosis - crushing headaches unable to move, feel dizzy and slightly sick

before diagnosis - hard graft no major problems normal aches and pains get on with it
since diagnosis - medium graft major aches and pains completely knocked about.

I really dont understand it at all. I am fitter now than I have ever been. I can cycle and walk greater distances. My food intake is fantastic. Moderate carbs. Last visit to dn she is so impressed by everything and she also sings this sites praises.....still wont give me a testing kit though :roll: :roll: :roll:

I am taking better care of myself now more than ever (should have started years ago) In fact due to all the changes I have made in my life I have had to learn to accept compliments :oops: :oops: :oops:

Am I alone in this???? do any diabetics type 1 or 2 notice anything different???

999sugarbabe

The main thing I've noticed since diagnosis is my "friends" seem to have disappeared overnight, leaving me feeling like I'm contagious or dying! :cry:

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.
I hate to use the 'M' word but have you thought about the menopause? Depending on how old you were when you started you may now be entering the pre menopausal phase.

candyrel

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Dislikes
I hate the dreaded M word and have been tested grrrrrrrrr not quite there yet but I can feel its hot breath on the back of my neck.

How very dare you for mentioning it :oops: :shock: :mrgreen:

Dennis

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
People who join web forums to be agressive and cause trouble
Hi Candy,
I know that you are on diet rather that medication for the diabetes but have you by any chance been prescribed anything else since your diagnosis, something for cholesterol for example?

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.
candyrel said:
I hate the dreaded M word and have been tested grrrrrrrrr not quite there yet but I can feel its hot breath on the back of my neck.

How very dare you for mentioning it :oops: :shock: :mrgreen:

Sorry :( :( :( :(

candyrel

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Dislikes
Hi Dennis

They wanted me to take statins and ace inhibitors but I refused. My dad had severe problems with statins and I just didnt want to go down that route and said I would sort it out myself. So other than my medication for depression nothing at all. That medication only gives me cotton mouth so I am stumped.

Aw Sue your forgiven :oops: :oops: :oops:

brianb

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
999sugarbabe I WILL BE YOUR FRIEND :lol:

My friends stuck by me but they do overcompensate ie SHOULD you be eating/drinking that, have you had your tablets....are you feeling alright like im going to pass out or something they just need to learn to chill and treat me as before.

Since diagnosis i too have felt REALLY tired, asleep befor my head hits the pillow and still asleep when it leaves the pillow, seem to run out of energy way too quick as well.

Im only 42 so its def not old age :shock:

Brian

manxangel

Dislikes
Loud and brash people and arguments
No I'm with you too!

Total exhaustion most of the time, just wanting to sleep and no energy. Like you my friends have vanished! lol

and i'm 25 so it had better not be the menopause!!!! lol

gillyh

Dislikes
arrogant drivers/people, ill mannered people, cruelty to people and animals, condescention
What friends? Mine have slowly drifted away last few years. One I knew since 1976 just stopped calling etc even though I contacted her. I was godmother to her disabled son but when he died it was as though the friendship died with it. :?
I have a few friends at work but that's all it will be...work friends. One close friend via text and e-mail...lives far away. Makes me sound isolated but I'm pretty independant and self sufficient and need just a few good friends.
Depression does make it hard sometimes though. :?

Katharine

It's my son and not me who has diabetes but my social life though not great since my second son was born has been virtually zero since Steven was diagnosed.

I am too busy looking after the children and the house, working and doing my diabetes activist stuff to have the time for a social life. Thank the USA military for the internet!

Some people may think that typing fast to each other is a poor substitute for a social life but it does have some great advantages. Even though I may be alone I don't feel alone.

Rach79

Dislikes
Poverty, violence, manipulative or materialistic people and too much bad weather such as wind and rain.
candyrel said:
Since diagnosis in Feb 08 things seem to be intensified.

Before diagnosis - normal headache no problems just get on with it
since diagnosis - crushing headaches unable to move, feel dizzy and slightly sick

before diagnosis - hard graft no major problems normal aches and pains get on with it
since diagnosis - medium graft major aches and pains completely knocked about.

I really dont understand it at all. I am fitter now than I have ever been. I can cycle and walk greater distances. My food intake is fantastic. Moderate carbs. Last visit to dn she is so impressed by everything and she also sings this sites praises.....still wont give me a testing kit though :roll: :roll: :roll:
I am taking better care of myself now more than ever (should have started years ago) In fact due to all the changes I have made in my life I have had to learn to accept compliments :oops: :oops: :oops:

Am I alone in this???? do any diabetics type 1 or 2 notice anything different???

Why aren't you getting a testing kit??? You may feel sick and dizzy because of a slight hypo?!! Make sure they give you one, they are 10 a penny so it shouldn't be hard. This could be part of your problem.

Thirsty

Candyrel, are you sure this isn't depression related? I haven't been able to tolerate any of the antidepressants I've been prescribed over the years; they've all made me feel dreadful. It might be worth discussing this with your doctor.

LittleSue

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Did you start antidepressants before or after diagnosis? Some can raise blood sugar. The cotton mouth could be due to the tablets or raised bs, or both. Or cotton mouth from the tablets could be masking hypo.

Or what you describe could be a psychological reaction to being diagnosed with a life-altering condition.

IanD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Carbohydrates
Friends? As time goes by, people have their own preoccupations & don't seek out their old friends. Families seem to come together only for marriages & funerals.

What I have found is friendship formed by a variety of shared activities : -
church; choir; tennis club; gym (actually heart rehab with my wife.)

What do you enjoy doing? Can you do it with others?
Hanadr leads health walks.

What do others do, other than forum posting?

Trinkwasser

If you're not testing you may be swinging from postprandial highs to lows, this won't show up in an A1c.

Personally I can get down to around 3.5 before I start to run out of energy but at the top end it starts around 7 and becomes noticeable around 8, and by 10 I am poleaxed, and this continues for some hours after a spike, the glucose transporters seem to shut down.

I really would recommend you get your own meter and do this

http://www.alt-support-diabetes.org/NewlyDiagnosed.htm

discover your own parameters

Also are you on an SSRI? For some people (me for one) after time they will downregulate dopamine which is also lethargy-inducing and concentration-sapping

candyrel

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Dislikes
Diagnosed after depression meds and started taking these meds carefully. i am on Citalopram 30mg daily. Started on 10 to see how it went and upped it gradually. Went into everything with 2 docs regarding my meds and diabetes.

I am going to have to buy a kit as everytime I request one it falls on deaf ears or she has ready excuses. I have quoted the NICE thingy but thanks to Trinkwasser I am going to print off that page and take it in with me. I cannot afford to have to keep buying strips etc. I have my medical exemption form but want to try to get it through my dsn so then it all gets set up. Next time I am in I will tell her that I will buy one myself if I dont get provided with one. I want to know which foods affect me and am I staying on the right track.

I still have great contact with my friends and have made a few more in the real world. I am very thankful that I have a great family and we are really close which helps in all aspects.

I am constantly monitoring everything and monitor everything that is on my plate. Another thing I have noticed is that I feel the cold more...but I think thats something to do with my age :oops:

lilibet

I was almost completely asymptomatic before dx bar gradually increasing thirst/urination for about a week.
In two weeks before dx was on very busy hols, whole days spent walking about for hours in high temp, up crack of dawn,lots travelling and disrupted diet, more alcohol and sweeter foods than usual etc but nada to suggest 'surprise' to come which resulted in 3 days hospital stay.

However, since dx and despite (reasonable first?) A1c of 7.7 after just 6 weeks and reasonably settled sugars pre meals (todays fasting was 4.9, pre lunch was 5.1, dinner 4.8) I feel absolutely hellish to the point where I am being tested for just about everything but nothing so far so I hearye!

Fatigue, lightheaded, foggy brained and can barely make it past 10.30 or bend down to get something out a cupboard without feeling that Ive ran the New York marathon. By all accounts, given level of settling sugars, dx not cause of this. In a way I hoped it was cause it woudl then possibly go away

Am at loss but continue to refuse to accept it is psychological and I know myself better than they do so...... Have you been tested for other things (Autoimmune Hypothyroid often hand in hand with diabetes) to rule them out.

Just a suggestion.

C

catherinecherub

Candyrel.
You say you were offered ace inhibitors but declined them. Who is monitoring your blood pressure?
This can cause headaches if it is high and can also make you feel lethargic.
Just a suggestion.
Regards, Catherine.