• Total voters

borofergie

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Racism, Sexism, Homophobia
benedict said:
Not questioning your intentions borofergie, I'm looking to get a rounded sense check on how people interpret such a reply.

Benedict

The answer to that, is "in whatever way you want to interpret it to suit your agenda".

Of course intepretation is irrelevant. I've explained several times what the intention of the comment was. Whether you choose to believe me or not is entirely your choice. Again, I'd say that I think my posting record speaks for itself.

I absolutely stand by the comment.

benedict

Administrator
I strongly believe there are many people on here that have no notable agenda.

I do take your point that agendas need to be considered with such a question.

Benedict

Patch

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
What's the "question" that keeps getting referred to?

Grazer

Patch said:

Good point! Think its a statement, not a question. Point is though that much of the alarmist stuff that was posted about "frightening poor scared newbies who are already terrified" hardly applies to Sarah, does it? Patently someone who was quite blasé about it all, so the statement was fine and appropriate. This is the point I made before - Borofergie, Defren, myself and others are adult enough not to terrify someone already panic stricken. If you look at our long list if posts, you'll see we are reassuring to people like that. Really font think this is the issue its blown up to be

snowy_barks

I am so disappointed.

I was diagnosed T2 in Feb this year.

My first port of call was DiabetesUK and all the nonsense about eating cereal for breakfast etc. When I found by testing that this was sending my BG's high, I then found this site. From the info I gathered on here I then researched further and found a diet that works for me. I have my BGs well under control and are 3 stone lighter.

It was the realisation of the very real consequences from long term raised BG's that motivated me to do what I have, at first I didn't quite grasp how serious my condition could be and it certainly isn't made clear everywhere.

I have not made many posts on here but I generally visit daily to read what others are saying. There is always something to learn.

To suggest that telling a T2 diabetic who doesn't control there BG levels is seriously shortening there life span is threatening is utter nonsense. It is as close to a complete and utter definite truth that can exist, regarding medical science.

If I have a choice between pasta and a cocktail of drugs that all have side effects, I'll leave the pasta, thanks.
To pretend that isn't reality is wrong and patronising.

I for one, will not be clicking on any of the sponsored links on here.

Defren

Grazer said:
Patch said:

Good point! Think its a statement, not a question. Point is though that much of the alarmist stuff that was posted about "frightening poor scared newbies who are already terrified" hardly applies to Sarah, does it? Patently someone who was quite blasé about it all, so the statement was fine and appropriate. This is the point I made before - Borofergie, Defren, myself and others are adult enough not to terrify someone already panic stricken. If you look at our long list if posts, you'll see we are reassuring to people like that. Really font think this is the issue its blown up to be

I'm playing catch up while trying to do other things as well, and am completely lost. I don't recall a question, and as for scaring newbies - where? Am I being accused of that Sheepy?

borofergie

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Defren said:
I'm playing catch up while trying to do other things as well, and am completely lost. I don't recall a question, and as for scaring newbies - where? Am I being accused of that Sheepy?

No Def, I am. For the avoidance of doubt:

Things I don't like about this thread:

borofergie wrote:

Sarah69 wrote:I'm glad there is someone else who says they won't strictly low carb. I have tried it but cuts out too much food I like. I certainly wouldn't be able to eat like that for the rest of my life!

That's true. But please be aware, especially as a diabetic, that your choice of what you eat has a direct influence on exactly how long "the rest of your life" will probably be.

This sounds like the grim reaper. Whether true or not, I feel this bluntness oversteps the mark.

Defren

So this is where all the grim reaper stuff came from? What a load of tosh. Is Sarah69 not the poster who wanted to know about Orlistat, or do I have the wrong person?

borofergie

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Defren said:
So this is where all the grim reaper stuff came from? What a load of tosh. Is Sarah69 not the poster who wanted to know about Orlistat, or do I have the wrong person?

I know she's had struggles in the past, but I told her that I thought her decision to go onto insulin was an excellent one, and congratulated her on her recent sub 7% HbA1c.

I have never criticised anyone elses dietary choice.

Defren

borofergie said:
Defren said:

I know she's had struggles in the past, but I told her that I thought her decision to go onto insulin was an excellent one, and congratulated her on her recent sub 7% HbA1c.

I have never criticised anyone elses dietary choice.

Well, from a personal point of view, I can say that like me you strongly believe in LCHF 'cos it works for us. I have never seen anyone being told their diet choice is bad by you. I will also add I wouldn't be where I am today without you. I loves ya Stephen, you just say it as it is, maybe that's the whole problem here?

borofergie

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Defren said:
Well, from a personal point of view, I can say that like me you strongly believe in LCHF 'cos it works for us. I have never seen anyone being told their diet choice is bad by you. I will also add I wouldn't be where I am today without you. I loves ya Stephen, you just say it as it is, maybe that's the whole problem here?

I believe in diabetic control. Any method that works is good. I think LCHF / GL is probably the best, but I'm good with everything GI to portion control. I was one of the few forum members to congratulate Bonny on his run up and down the stairs control technique.

Because I am a VLCer, it seems that I am easily characterised as an extremist. My diet is extreme, but I am not. I have stated numerous times that most people shouldn't follow VLC.

Defren

borofergie said:
Defren said:

I believe in diabetic control. Any method that works is good. I think LCHF / GL is probably the best, but I'm good with everything GI to portion control. I was one of the few forum members to congratulate Bonny on his run up and down the stairs control technique.

Because I am a VLCer, it seems that I am easily characterised as an extremist. My diet is extreme, but I am not. I have stated numerous times that most people shouldn't follow VLC.

Guess that applies to us both!

BioHaZarD

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Defren said:
borofergie said:
Defren said:

Guess that applies to us both!

I have only eaten just above 5g carbs today, what does that make me? :D

GraceK

Dislikes
Marzipan
Insincere people
Big cities
Vulgarity
Ashleigh said:
anna29 said:
Xyzzy ...
Can I ask you this question ?

What if we have a member(s) who is/are too terrified to accept the reality of the worst of the facts .

They are so traumatised to relax trust info/frank/blunt debates to even attempt to control their diabetes more.
What 'if' they cant sleep at night from sheer fright and genuine worries .

Is this a positive way of action to be so overtly frank/blunt in debates.

Yes - there 'will' + be such persons experiencing this.
They may be few - but they are here and amongst us all.

It isnt about us mods/admin trying to prevent things being discussed etc...
But we 'do' have to remember the few that are in this state of trauma mentally/emotionally.
Not EVERYONE is able/ready to accept or digest things so raw.
This is 'why' we ask and speak of sensitivity with it all.

Anna.

Being terrified of complications and ignoring them wont make them go away, it will probably make them worse - if they dont accept that they have a condition that needs to be dealt with.

Molly-coddling them wont do anyone any good in the long run, in my opinion.

What exactly are they terrified of? Getting complications? Then they should come here and learn about the different ways to control their blood sugar and find what works for them.

That is such an arrogant statement and tells me that you really believe that unless people know ALL THE GORY details, they aren't going to do anything to help themselves.

Sorry but that's a very inaccurate assumption to make. Knowing all the gory details at the beginning might make some people give up at the first hurdle. But it doesn't sound like you can accept that possibility or even care about it being a possibility.

BioHaZarD

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I think maybe this could go on and on, we must remember that this started because someone asked what would happen? They wanted to know, otherwise it would not have been mentioned.

So lets all agree to disagree, no one is going to offer the worst scenario at will unless someone asks for it, so they would expect the answer to possibly scare them.

Lets all get back to helping each other :clap:

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
This thread is showing that everyone is different, and the forum, or any forum, cant be tailored to suit everyone.

Defren

lucylocket61 said:
This thread is showing that everyone is different, and the forum, or any forum, cant be tailored to suit everyone.

Never a truer word spoken. You can please some of the people some of the time, but can't please all of the people all of the time. Just as well or life would be pretty boring!

Defren

BioHaZarD said:
I normally keep to around 30g, just not really fancied much today.

I'm usually under 40g today was just one of those days. I have eaten and eaten 'till now I feel I am going to pop, yet the carbs are really low. That said I have found an organic cheese company and their smoked cheddar is to die for. I have just had a hunk now. :oops: