what diet suit for me?

susansmith

Hi,my name is Susan Smith.I am overweight!!! need some advice and encouragement in loosing weight. have lost weight in the past but always gained it back!!Last 3 month,I tried every methods in order to returned to normal weight like exercises, including taking diet pills.My friend was trying the 2 day diet and she lost 9 pounds in one week. I was thinking about trying it, but I wanted to see if anyone on here knew more info. about it or had tried it themselves?

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm afraid I've never heard of 'the 2 day diet', so can't help you there.

In your profile it says you have gestational diabetes? If you are still pregnant, then I don't think you should be trying any diet without speaking to your medical advisers.

If you're no longer pregnant, then you might want to check out this diet - it works for me :)

http://www.dietdoctor.com/lchf

Best wishes,

CollieBoy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi carb Foods
susansmith said:
Hi,my name is Susan Smith.I am overweight!!! need some advice and encouragement in loosing weight. have lost weight in the past but always gained it back!!Last 3 month,I tried every methods in order to returned to normal weight like exercises, including taking diet pills.My friend was trying the 2 day diet and she lost 9 pounds in one week. I was thinking about trying it, but I wanted to see if anyone on here knew more info. about it or had tried it themselves?

Susan, what I have found with any diet/lifestyle is that it needs to be sustainable, long term otherwise you are going to slip backward. for me, I found that lowering the carbohydrates reduced my hunger levels, and made it easier to stay on my eating plan. an egg for breakfast fills me more than cereal ever did. I found that the low fat option never works as well as the lowcarb option calorie for calorie :evil:
Good luck.

TUI

susansmith said:

Susan, like you Ive been yo yoing with my weight for years and years. I've been on low GL diet since June when I was diagnosed as a new diabetic, lost 3st 11lb, found I had a waist. Tweaked it a bit since finding this forum and always trying new ideas. I have found it so easy to stick too and husband now on it too and he has lost 2st. Works for me but you will find brilliant advice on other diets on this forum. Tui

Klang180

I would recommend a diet high in wholefoods, low in fat and high in fibre with a limited intake of protein, pretty much the ideal diet that everyone should follow.

If you want to seethe evidence for the healthiness of this diet and it's benefits in avoiding ill health and helping Type 2 diabetes then read "the China Study". It is the largest scientific study of nutrition ever undertaken and is serioulsy compelling.

I am type 1 but since i adopted a wholefood diet with low fat, high fibre and no animal products i have seen my insulin sensitivity double! I am 93kg (6ft3) and by all measures is hould be having between 37-74 TTD but barely have over 30. I think it could do wonders for a type 2. I also have a Cholesteral that is in the words of my doctor "lower than a Chinese peasant". It couldn't be lower was his summary.

I think a wholefood, high fibre, low fat, low-mid protein is the only diet that you adopt in good conscience without worrying about what the adverse effects are. It is a common sense approach.

Beware of LOW carb diets as these tend to be high in fat, low in fibre and high in protein, which in short is very poor for long term health.

Oh and don;t forget exercise, it is just as important!

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Sorry, but I cannot let the lauding of the China Study pass unchallenged. Rather than being seriously compelling, some people regard it as seriously flawed:

http://rawfoodsos.com/the-china-study/

There is also compelling evidence that low cholesterol is implicated in cancer, so again, not everyone believes in the cholesterol/lipid hypothesis or believe that low cholesterol is a good thing:

http://www.thincs.org/

Also, it is not clear to everyone that low carb diets are dangerous:

http://eatlikeaswede.wordpress.com/2011 ... in-sweden/

Klang180

No one has an intrinsic knowledge of what is the healthiest diet so we can only rely on good quality scientific research for this. The China study is the largest study on nutrition ever carried out and was done to signficiant scientific rigour. if you want to question it then i think you should have at least as solid research behind it as they do. To discredit the results but not offer any research of your own is not strong science it is just maintaining the status quo.

Look, i don't want to be the defender of the China Study but at it's heart the book has found a wholefood, low fat, high fibre, controlled protein diet to be the healthiest for all including diabetics. Does this really should like bad advice to you?

As for cholesterol. Well we have two components to it LDL and HDL, if you levels of HDL are low this is not healthy, they should be at least 1.2 but high levels of LDL are certianly very bad for your health and the majoirty of the cause for cardio vascular desease.

As for low carb diets, i admit i don't know too much about them but what is a fact is that your body uses carbs for fuel. Without carbs it starts to break down protein and fat for fuel with teh former ending in Ketoacidosis. This isn't my "belief" or what is convinient for me it is the science and is beautifully explained by Dr Gary Schnier in "Think like a Pancreas".

Thanks for reading.

Defren

FergusCrawford said:
susansmith said:

Susan, what I have found with any diet/lifestyle is that it needs to be sustainable, long term otherwise you are going to slip backward. for me, I found that lowering the carbohydrates reduced my hunger levels, and made it easier to stay on my eating plan. an egg for breakfast fills me more than cereal ever did. I found that the low fat option never works as well as the lowcarb option calorie for calorie :evil:
Good luck.

I'm with Fergus, a low carb high fat diet has helped me shed 99lbs (as of Monday). If you are still pregnant please don't diet at all, just eat healthily, there is plenty of time to diet after baby/breastfeeding. A diet that works for one person may not for another, so we can suggest diets you can try, but in the end it has to be one you can sustain long term or you will yo-yo and then lose heart.

Good luck.

borofergie

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Racism, Sexism, Homophobia
Klang180 said:
I would recommend a diet high in wholefoods, low in fat and high in fibre with a limited intake of protein, pretty much the ideal diet that everyone should follow.

Low-fat diets are not ideal for everyone. You didn't evolve to eat a low-fat diet. Many diabetics (such as myself) do very well on a low-carb, high-fat diet. I'm extreme, but I get more that 80% of my calories from fat.

Klang180 said:
Beware of LOW carb diets as these tend to be high in fat, low in fibre and high in protein, which in short is very poor for long term health.

What? Only based on poor analysis of the China study data. If you're going to make sweeping generalisations, you should back them up with something more substantial than this. There is no good evidence of any negative health implications of following a LCHF diet, in fact I'd argue that this is the diet we evolved to eat, so it's strange to imagine how it could be bad for us.

Klang180 said:
Look, i don't want to be the defender of the China Study but at it's heart the book has found a wholefood, low fat, high fibre, controlled protein diet to be the healthiest for all including diabetics. Does this really should like bad advice to you?

Yes, it sounds like terrible advice. High-carbohydrate diets are generally very bad for those of us not on insulin. As I said above, you didn't evolve to eat this diet, so I can't imagine how you can suggest that it is "optimal".

Klang180

borofergie said:
Klang180 said:

Low-fat diets are not ideal for everyone. You didn't evolve to eat a low-fat diet. Many diabetics (such as myself) do very well on a low-carb, high-fat diet. I'm extreme, but I get more that 80% of my calories from fat.

Klang180 said:

What? Only based on poor analysis of the China study data. If you're going to make sweeping generalisations, you should back them up with something more substantial than this. There is no good evidence of any negative health implications of following a LCHF diet, in fact I'd argue that this is the diet we evolved to eat, so it's strange to imagine how it could be bad for us.

Klang180 said:

Yes, it sounds like terrible advice. High-carbohydrate diets are generally very bad for those of us not on insulin. As I said above, you didn't evolve to eat this diet, so I can't imagine how you can suggest that it is "optimal".

I don't want to get into a flame war with LCHF people, if you feel it is the best for you then that is your business. I am well within my rights however to disagree with a diet which i believe (backed by research) to be very poor for health. The China Study is at least a huge scale study undertaken by experts in the field. I could quite easily say who are you to argue, have you undertaken such a study on LCHF? In any case this is a forum i don't want to cite numerous sources etc. and judging by the lack of references from your end neither do you.

I am very weary of when people say things like "we didn't evolve to eat this" etc because it is underpinned by this idea that we were once of perfect health and then along came this or that and suddenly we are desease ridden. Where is the evidence to suggest that pre-farming that we were any healthier, i mean that as a genuine enquiry?

I suppose if i told you that there is some evidence to suggest hunter gatherers did rather a lot of the latter and much less of the former and certianly therefore ate a lot of carbs through berries etc. Would this change what we "evolved" to eat?

I really would prefer a dialogue on this rather than a flame war so please don't tell me to provide research for generalisations when your answer and viewpoint is so visibly predicated on a number of assumptions not based on fact.