Goats cheese - high fat ..

Jennyfer

I am still a bit confused by diet etc. I have just had some goats cheese, which is low in carbs and sugar - good for diabetes. However, a few years ago I was on the Weight Watchers diet (pre-diabetes) and the saturated fat in the goats cheese would have been a big no - no - as would cream and butter. So is it a case of one thing is good for the diabetes but not weight loss and vice versa? Also, I have been eating a lot of cheese - good for the diabetes I think - but I am thinking this can't be good for cholestoral and will be clogging up the arteries?

I had my first tests 4 months back and went to 6.4 (46%), which the nurse was pleased about. She said to go back in 6 months unless I wanted a test after 3 months. I think I will ask for a test now to be on the safe side as I am not testing myself at all.

This is all very confusing. I lost weight quickly and now it has stabilised a bit. All the time I was losing weight I thought this must be good for the diabetes and so I switched off to what I need to do long term.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Hi jennyfer nice to meet you :wave: I too am a cheese lover, not so much on goats cheese though. I love it raw and I love it cooked. Yes I do love cheese, delicious and very versatile. An omlette with cheese in it and lots of veg is delicious :thumbup: Can you tell that I love cheese :wink: ps well done on your weight loss.

Best wishes to you RRB

Mushroom

Well done on the weight loss and blood results. Goat's cheese - yum, yum! It is highish fat. I am dieting and if I overdo the cheese, my weight loss slows so have to be a bit careful but the fat content does make you feel fuller. I have read the various research and arguments for and against and for me the saturated fat is not a major problem as I am low carbing. Butter in my scrambled egg and cream in my coffee, too. This is, of course, my personal opinion and choice - obviously doesn't sit well with my DSN's cholesterol advice. When I have got to goal weight I intend to continue with low-carbing/high fat.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
I love cheese but really don't like the taste of goats cheese :(

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hard cheeses like cheddar contains about 35g fat of that about 21 gm appears to be saturated; actually found that hard to find) They will obviously vary.

Soft goats cheese also varies but on average (according to a French site) has 26.9g of fat of which 18.5 g is saturated.
(sorry haven't looked up hard goats cheese)

So you get a bit less fat in a soft goats cheese. (and all fat is 9 calories per gram)
France is a cheese loving nation but many goats cheeses around here come little 30g crottins. That's considered a portion (in fact if you go to a fete and it is served as a cheese course you may just get half.)
In my opinion that sort of moderation is about right.

Jennyfer

Thanks for the replies. Useful as always. Previously I was addicted to Longley Park cottage cheese, which was a big help but my local Sainsburys stopped selling it, which is why I have converted to goats cheese at lunchtime. Pre diabetes I would have had a sandwich or 4 muffins - so a big improvement!! Difficult to know what to pick up in the supermarket at a lunchtime at work to eat at my desk. Not keen to do packed lunches (not good at getting up in a morning!).

Thanks again.

MaryJ

Hi Jennyfer

you could try the sandwich fillers in the supermarket, like chicken and bacon.

Mary x

viviennem

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Football. Bad manners.
Goats' or sheep's milk cheese is very good for people who may have an intolerance to cows' milk. This can also include people who get thrush-type or yeast-related infections - same way as children with asthma and/or eczema (sp?) can often tolerate goats' milk but not cows'.

Atkins says to limit cheese intake to 4oz daily in the Induction Phase, but this may have something to do with American cheese - I believe much of it is processed and contains more carbs than ours.

For me at least, fat is only a problem when eaten with too many carbs. When I'm on a low carb/high fat diet my cholesterol drops and my blood lipid profile improves across the board. I avoid any processed fats such as transfats, commercial baked goods etc, but I have no problems with cream, butter, cheese and the fat that occurs naturally on the meat or fish I buy, or with mayonnaise, good quality oils (mostly olive) and nuts. Except I eat far too many nuts when I start :oops: - the only way is to eat them occasionally as a treat! :D

Hope this helps

Viv 8)

blanman27

Hi

There are numerous books on low carb eating which should dispell any fears you may have about eating staurated fats. I have personally read around 10 books on diets, cholesterol etc and am becoming more convinced where the truth lies. Look for Dr John Briffa, Gary Taubes or Barry Groves for the fat/low carb thing and Dr Malcom Kendrick for the cholesterol thing. I keep a very open mind about these things but am becoming increasingly convinced the truth is not what they (the authorities) have been telling you for the last 30 years. Search 'saturated fat myth' or 'cholesterol myth' and read a wealth of stuff on the subjects. My latest book is Dr Richard K Bernstein's 'Diabetic Solution' which is an absolute must have for any diabetic. I would recommend this as your first purchase personally.

Good luck

Paul