Craving chocolate/iceream

laurenk978

Hi guys got diagnosed type1 a week ago!
The last couple of days I hav been really craving ice cream and chocolate! Been advised 2stay away from all these sweet treats until Iam more controlled but recently been craving them! HELP!!!!
Weither this is physiological Bcoz I know I'm not allowed them I don't no, but Wat alternatives would u suggest???? Need something sweet! Had a banana and a yoghurt but not keeping the cravings at bay! And also wil this b a normal part of life? Arguing with yourself Weither 2hav chocolate cakes and all sweet things in general!!!! X

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Hi Lauren :)

Understandable you'll have cravings for chocolate and such, however all is not lost. The Dark Chocolate containing 80-90% cocoa is pretty low in carbs, Aldi do one which contains 5 bars per pack and each bar contains around 4g of carbs.

laurenk978

Hi I'm not a big fan of dark chocolate and things like frys cream hav high sugar so couldn't even hav that! Jelly and cream now that sounds a bit more up my street! Anything else???? X

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
How about plain Greek yoghurt with some berries ? (you can get the Greek yoghurt in 0% fat or higher fat, to me they all are fairly similar )
I usually use defrosted berries and swirl them in, and I now don't feel the need to put in any sweetener but you could put some in, it looks very pretty in a glass. I have read of people who blend the frozen berries into the yoghurt and it apparently makes quite a good substitute for ice cream.

SamJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Great find, Noblehead! I know where I'm going tomorrow! Where can you get sugar free jelly from, Mary?

Fraddycat

When I am craving chocolate I have a sploosh of double cream (maybe 30ml) with a spoonful of cocoa powder and a spoonful of splenda,stir it together for a minute or two and it becomes thicker and is very much like chocolate mousse. I find it really hits my chocolate spot!

C-J-N

Hello
There are lots of low carb websites around with recipes for ice cream and chocolate cakes, just do a bit of a search. I'm relatively new to diabetes too so I haven't tried out lots of recipes yet but some websites that look good are lowcarbluxury, healthyindulgences and lowcarbdiets. Just remember to keep an eye on portion size.
Good luck

l0vaduck

Options and Highlights hot chocolate only have 5g carbs in a cup and give a good chocolate hit - the smell alone helps, I find!

If you don't want even that much carb - try making cocoa with unsweetened soya milk.

laurenk978

Thanks guys! Will maybe try sum off ur suggestions! but y is every 1 obsessed with carbs??? its all i hear about! is it not about sugar???

sorry this may seem stupid but only diagnosed a week ago so stil learning also hav been advised 2hav carbs in every meal?

Lauren x

laurenk978

Also where do i buy cocoa powder and is ther a certain type 2buy? single cream or double cream???? coz that sounds yummy if its like chocolate mouse!!! mmmm lol x

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
laurenk978 said:
Also where do i buy cocoa powder and is ther a certain type 2buy? single cream or double cream???? coz that sounds yummy if its like chocolate mouse!!! mmmm lol x

Just ask in store, just be careful with the baking cocoa powder as they can be quite bitter.

Fraddycat

laurenk978 said:

You can buy cocoa powder in any supermarket in the home baking section. Check the labels though to make sure its 100% cocoa and does not have added sugar. Its often near the hot chocolate which you should avoid as it has added sugar. I use double cream because it thickens a little and is extra yum. Only use a teaspoon of cocoa and splenda at first, you can always add more but you can't take it out :)

Also we all talk about carbs because your body turns carbs into sugar and these elevate your blood sugars, so its not just about the obvious sugars its also about the hidden sugars in pasta, rice, potato and flour.

Don't worry, have a read around the site and you'll soon get to grips with it.

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi,
There are carbs in fruit/veg/milk as well as the starches. As you get more experienced you will find that knowing the amount of carbohydrate you are eating helps you to adjust your insulin. Being able to do this means you can be quite flexible about your meals.

The sort of things your Nurse is talking about aren't good for anybody (we all know that).
If you eat them between meals then they will make your glucose levels rise . They are probably not a good idea to eat them , particularly between meals at the moment.
You will find that in the future, you can eat the odd chocolate cake . If you are like me, you may find that you won't want them so often. ( I find some foods often taste over sweet)

I won't say any more as the more I write the complicated it sounds. It takes time to learn, it takes time to understand what your body does and thats absolutely normal.
One thing I would say is, though I know it's a chore , it really does help if you write a food/insulin/glucose level/exercise diary. You probably won't keep a detailed one up (well I certainly don't , I download my meter for those results). It does though help you to see what does what.

IanD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Carbohydrates
"Value" icecreams are 15-20% carb (mostly water) so a 50 ml portion will have no more carb than 1/2 a slice of bread. Have a smaller portion, & add cream & satisfy your cravings. Check thatthe icecream you buy has less than about 20% carb - & don't eat too much.

The addition of cream will not adversely affect your blood glucose, but will be more sustaining, so you are less likely to feel hungry after. You have to get your energy from somewhere, & weight for weight fat provides nearly twice the kcals as carb, & takes longer to digest.

You can add flavour with a little cocoa or no-added-sugar squash.

jopar

I would look into making some of you own cakes, deserts and even ice-creams... As this way you can substitute different ingredients to lesson the impact, such as sweetener instead of sugar, cakes swapping some of the flour for Ground Almonds

I've even made a meringues with sweetener, filled with double cream, and just enough dribble of dark chocolate to give them a hit..

Biggest problem about cravings, is they tend to happen and be stronger purely because you are denying yourself them, a case of the more you can't have the more you want!

Some tricks that might be helpful..,

If you really need to have the fix, eat after a meal the advantage to this is, you are more likely to be content with a smaller portion, and because it's digesting with a meal it often's lessen the impact on the blood glucose..

A lot of low carbers, will have a small square of very good quality dark chocolate after their evening meal, because they know they will get their fix/treat of the day it seems to curb cravings at other times of the day... Easier to fend off a craving when you know you will get it later on, than never!

GlazedDoughnuts

Hmm, I treat my diabetes a little bit differently...

By that I mean I eat the same as I did before pre-diagnosis. I counter high blood sugars with extra Insulin and spikes with taking my Insulin before I eat.

With that said I try my best not to eat like a fat ass, a diet consisting of pork pies, cake, sugary fizzy drinks and etc is always going to end in tears. But that doesn't mean I don't enjoy cake, sweets, occasional crisps and other 'bad carb loaded' foods.

To counter weight increase I exercise regularly.

This frees me from having to adopt a low carb diet. I'm not a fan of a low carb diet, not because I don't believe in the benefits of it, but because I'd rather have my cake and eat it, nom nom nom.

With that said, low carb diets are awesome for losing fat!

Paul_c

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
watch out for the "diabetic" ice cream... it's OK, but too much will give you a nasty case of the runs as the polyols they use have a laxative effect...