A rare breed - secondary Type2 diabetes..

BenMMellor

Hi,

I've recently been diagnosed as Type2 diabetic. This has come about due to a severe gallstone attack last october causing pancreatitis. That led to inflamation, then necrosis of my pancreas over Xmas 2011. I ended up losing 80% of my pancreas.

The remaining 20% seemed to be working ok and coping with the adjusted diet I'd put myself on following the near fatal pancreatitis. Sadly that coping declined in mid October and my GP diagnosed me as having secondary type2 diabetes. My HbA1C was 30 and my bg test was the same. He and the diabetci nurse put me on Gliclazide straight away and over the last few weeks I've done some more minor adjustments to my diet and am now keeping my bg between 5 and 9.

It's all been a whirlwind again following me thinking I'd just got my life and mental state back on trak a year on from the major incident (I was also hosptilised in Feb 2012 with a 20cm pancreatic pseudocyst that was the 2nd near miss!)

Doing some reading, it seems that gliclazide essentially causes what remaing islets I've got to produce a bit more insulin - but this will eventually cause them to 'burn-out' and then I'll be on insulin. The question in my mind is if this is the right medication for me at this time or if metformin might be better and place less stress on the remains of my pancreas?

MaryJ

Hi Ben

Welcome to the forum,

I'm diet only so only know what I've picked up on here re meds -

Metformin is usually the first port of call medication wise, it's unlikely you would be able to swap from Glic to Met and be able to control your BG's. If however you looked at your diet it may be possible. Have a read of daisy's post in the greetings section.

With you being on a med which could induce hypo's you'd need to be careful in the adjustments you make.

Mary x

susanmanley

BenMMellor said:
Hi,

I've recently been diagnosed as Type2 diabetic. This has come about due to a severe gallstone attack last october causing pancreatitis. That led to inflamation, then necrosis of my pancreas over Xmas 2011. I ended up losing 80% of my pancreas.

The remaining 20% seemed to be working ok and coping with the adjusted diet I'd put myself on following the near fatal pancreatitis. Sadly that coping declined in mid October and my GP diagnosed me as having secondary type2 diabetes. My HbA1C was 30 and my bg test was the same. He and the diabetci nurse put me on Gliclazide straight away and over the last few weeks I've done some more minor adjustments to my diet and am now keeping my bg between 5 and 9.

It's all been a whirlwind again following me thinking I'd just got my life and mental state back on trak a year on from the major incident (I was also hosptilised in Feb 2012 with a 20cm pancreatic pseudocyst that was the 2nd near miss!)

Doing some reading, it seems that gliclazide essentially causes what remaing islets I've got to produce a bit more insulin - but this will eventually cause them to 'burn-out' and then I'll be on insulin. The question in my mind is if this is the right medication for me at this time or if metformin might be better and place less stress on the remains of my pancreas?

I had pancretitus due to gall stones last year and have, as a result, developed diabetis but am at present controlling through diet so am lucky. It is hard work sometimes and I slip but the horrors of the pancretitus are ever keeping me on the straight and narrow. It was a terrifying experience and no I am not an alcaholic or obese just ill. [better getting there]

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. I can only give an opinion as a non-expert as you have had a difficult time. You may want to discuss all the tablet options with your surgery. I must admit Metformin normally helps reduce overall blood sugar by about 1-2 mmol with really no bad side effects. Most diabetics start with this although NICE suggests Glic as a first option if you are not overweight and hence not suffering insulin resistance but need more insulin. Gliclazide can only help prod your remaining pancreas. Views vary on whether it hastens the demise of the beta cells and I have no idea or knowledge myself on that. There are other drugs such as sitagliptin which can help by extending insulin production after meals; I'm on all three!

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
It is rare, but I suspect it's getting more common. I have been encountering this condition more frequently recently. I do know one sufferer personally. She was put on insulin immediately.
Hana

susanmanley

Unfortunately although easy to diagnose it was not considered for 2 days for me as I do not fit the perceived type for pancreatius. Quite scary
I was asked if I was on a low fat diet [which I was because my husband requires one. Apparently there is a link.....always a complication available to every choice I suppose.

now on low carb diet with 'normal' fat intake

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
susanmanley said:
Unfortunately although easy to diagnose it was not considered for 2 days for me as I do not fit the perceived type for pancreatius. Quite scary
I was asked if I was on a low fat diet [which I was because my husband requires one. Apparently there is a link.....always a complication available to every choice I suppose.

now on low carb diet with 'normal' fat intake
That's really interesting about the low fat diet, Susan. Just lately I've been reading that low fat diets are implicated in a number of conditions - particularly gallstones/cholecystitis, fatty liver, fatty pancreas - but not in relation to pancreatitis before.

susanmanley

It was a 'back flush' of gall stones blocking the pancreas that caused my infection so they had to be removed and the gall bladder too

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Now I'm really worried. I have 3 very large gallstones but no signs of inflammation. I'm hoping that changing to a LCHF diet will prevent it going any further. Also had fatty liver and fatty pancreas revealed in the same ultrasound :shock: