10.1 ! can i still eat???

lilla

Dislikes
The usual, bigots; dictators........
This morning had i piece of celery with a dip of about 2 desert spoons of houmus, @about 11am, then 11.45 2 tsps yoghurt that i had made. NOW 12.45 im ready for a good lunch and i test at 10.1 the highest i have ever read, so does this mean i cannot have lunch? Only started testing yesterday, this is scarey...... :crazy: thanks, in anticipation some one will help!

lilla

Dislikes
PS., im going for a shower to take my mind of it, hopefully by the time i get back, there will be an answer, im HUNGRY but dont want to add to the high reading :cry:

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It takes a few days, sometimes weeks for your body to adjust to new eating habit and meds. So please, continue to have meals, and continue to test. Keep a record of your results so you can see if the changes you have made, and the meds (if any) are helping.

It wont happen overnight. Keep asking questions. Its all a bit scary at first, but it gets easier.

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
PS I forgot to add:

drinking lots of water, and going for a walk will bring your blood sugars down too.

WhitbyJet

Of course you can eat, you are only just starting out and 10.1 isn't that high. Are you on medication at all?
Eat something fairly low carb or something with lots of vegetables to bring down the GI a little.
Make sure you have plenty to drink and try to keep calm. Worry and stress can give you higher readings as well.
Keep a log book note what you are eating and your test results. Soon you will see a pattern and can adjust your diet accordingly to your circumstances.
For now don't worry too much unless you go above 15 and stay there or even higher, then it's time to see your doctor sooner rather than later. Obviously if you feel unwell at any point seek medical advice.
But on the whole just keep testing and logging for now as it takes a while to find out what works/doesn't work.

Bob67

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Could be a wonky test strip, did you do a couple of tests?

When I get unexpected readings its usually the strip.

lilla

Dislikes
Noo, no meds just trying to do it by diet, ...............So i am planning to have last nights chicken stir fry left overs in a 2 egg omlette, then taking the dog for a long walk. Oh god, i do hope i have made the right desision to do it with just diet, im not good at keeping to regular meal times.

Hello Whitby hope it all went wel for you!
Thanks for your answer Lucy.

Heres hoping what i eat now is OK, think i might never have yoghurt again :cry:

I did not think of that BOb, i could check again now before i eat, i do keep getting error status on my meter, nearly evry time i have to use 2 strips, first error, then it does it. im going to be broke, soon i will only be able to graze on the lawn Moooo

Bob67

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
If you are wasting strips due to errors call the meter manufacturer, they will likely sent you a new one. They give the meters out like free candy so that you buy their strips (where the real money is)

lilla

Dislikes
OK 3/4 hr later and its 7.3, but thats still high considering i have not eaten much. Thats OK, though i realise i am panicking i jsut have to get use to this, take it gently step by step, get use to seeing the readings and what my numbers look like.
Phew, and breath, thanks guys, you really are helping me, where or who would i be able to just turn to like that, so nice to have you all here. :D

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
Lilla
things get easier as you learn the patterns. 10.1 is dissappointing, but not a crisis.
Hana

gally

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi all i too only started testing 3 days ago and am having the same thing happen to me i wrongly thought that my readings would drop almost immediately :roll: i started my lchf diet ,but thanks for the posts i feel much better now

lilla

Dislikes
Hi Gally
Glad you found this post and people's comments have helped, im certainly grateful to have found such a place so erly on in my diagnoses, I really did not have the first clue about it, not even after my DB nurses appointment.
Good luck with your testing, and keep me informed, would be good to have another newby to be a newby with. :D
Im just on my way out for a long dog walk in the woods in the mud, in the rain. :( , nothing new there then.

Nikkig

Hi Lilla, I started with a reading above 15 when I was diagnosed 6 months ago and I am now in the 5 club! It can take a while but with diet and exercise and help here it will reduce - I have done it without med too.

A couple of things you may like to consider.

Think about taking chromium Picolinate supplement each day and teaspoon of Cinamon (I have mine in my porridge every morning along with 2 tsp of oat bran - the oat bran apparently slows down the absorption of the carbs and prevents a spike) it works for me, I really missed the comfort of porridge when I was first diagnosed.

Also, I find that if I don't eat regularly, especially in the morning, then my BG will rise.

Keep up the good work

Nikki

lilla

Dislikes
Hello Nikki,
I just got back from my walk, fantastic sunset thrown in for good measure, i tested at 4pm in the woods :shock: , it was 5.1 so im a happy bunny, for a few hours anyway, until i make the next mistake.
Im taking as supplements Dandelion Root, CoEnzyme Q-10, Cinnamon Bark, and Lipoic Acid, I have all the accoutrements and none of the know how, :shifty: , but hopefully i will get there through experience and asking questions.

I am going to REALLY try eating breakfast within an hour of getting up, i just dont fancy what i can have, thanks for the tip of cinnamon though with porridge i will give it a go tomorrow. Congratulations on reaching your goal, you have done wonders!
Have you posted any recipes or menus, im sure lots of people would like to have your success. I know it does not necessarily work for other people, but i would be interested for one.

prwilson

Well done; exercise, willingness to change your diet, sounds like a good start to me. As said above it does take a while to establish a routine and learn what works for you. There are quite a few posts (and opinions) on different diets on this forum, so I'd suggest you read a few and then find what works for you, test regularly - the proof of the pudding...etc.