protein powder

roseugine

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
rudeness loud music in shops cruelty in any form to human or animal.,cold weather being fat getting old
can anyone advice me on protein powders i am very sensitive to carbs try to stay as low as possible really struggling with my weight im on novorapid insulin fast and slow which is the best one for diabetics.
:? thanks Margaret

dawnmc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Atkins shakes from Boots online are pretty reasonavle price and very very low in carbs.

bethan90

Whey isolate tends to be the lowest carb protein powder. Watch your sugars closely as excess protein not used by the body is converted to glucose I think.

AMBrennan

Atkins shakes from Boots online are pretty reasonavle price
That seems highly unlikely since you're obviously going to pay extra for the Atkins brand; own brand will inevitably be cheaper. Stay away from "All in one" solutions since you'll be paying extra for carbs and unproven additives.

GlazedDoughnuts

Protein - try myprotein.co.uk - I've been using their services for a few years now, Impact Whey Protein is relatively low in carbs, they also do a diet range but I wasn't a huge fan. Had a bunch of added stuff like Green Tea extract and fibre, the fibre gave what I consider an unpleasant texture to the mix.

I use Hurricane XS (but this does have a fair bit of carbs amongst other ingredients that may be of no value to you) and Impact Whey.

bethan90

I agree glazeddoughnuts. There are lots of protein powders out there that are actually carb free, not sure how they taste though as I haven't explored them myself.

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
really struggling with my weight im on novorapid insulin fast and slow which is the best one for diabetics

Hi, I just noticed this and your other post.

I'm a bit confused about the insulin you take.

Novorapid is a fast insulin taken just before a meal. Most people who take this also take a different insulin once or twice a day (a slow one) (you would normally be taking 3 injections of the fast one and 1 or 2 injections of the slow one)

There is another insulin called Novomix. This is an insulin that contains a mixture of both fast and slow insulin. Most people seem to take it twice a day, some people 3 times.

The reason I ask is that I'm a bit worried. Maybe I'm wrong but I think that you might have decided to replace some meals with low carb shakes. There are people who have dieted this way on the forum recently but they weren't using insulin.
if you are using the Novorapid at mealtimes and you replace a meal with a shake then you would probably need some dose adjustment
If you are using the mixed insulin Novomix then it might not be a good thing to do. (I won't try to explain now, only if you reply saying that you are using it )

mehdave

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rubbish doctors who dont listen. Unclean hospitals
This thread has been cleaned up, please remain on topic with regards to the question about protein.

roseugine

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
rudeness loud music in shops cruelty in any form to human or animal.,cold weather being fat getting old
Hi Phoenix
I take slow acting insulin 16units morning and bedtime insultard penfill{novo nordisk ltd}and fast acting Novo rapid
with food.Iam type 2 for 10yrs 5ys on insulin.i am very sensitive to any carbs ,a sandwich would send me into twenties,any fruit same.So i try very hard to keep to protein and vegs greek yoghurt.I hate breakfast never hungry so thought protein shake would be good idea.I am very overweight trying hard to lose some have lost nearly 2 stone since last dec.stalled now have signed up for fitness regime from doctors,was hoping to have protein shake before going to gym.I am 65yrs in January so will have to be careful as i have neck injury and planta fachitise can,t spell that
thanks for your reply :?