what I wish some

A

Anonymous

I remember when I was first told I had diabetes, I remember being in shock, the only thing I knew about it was it can kill me. the gp gave me a scrip for metformin and told me to lose weight. I made an oppintment to see the nurse. my first thought was no more sugar and that was the sum total of my knowledge of this dieases. What I wanted was info on what was going on with my body, what does this mean, i remember looking up on diabetes uk and hearing about carbs I didn't know sugar was carbs, I found this site and all I saw was low carb low carb, it took a while to understand the impotance of carbs to me as a diabetic, I didn't know what i could eat or not, the numbers meant nothing to me on a glucose meter, I didn't know why I was getting statin or how i could eat out again if i had to low carb. I throw food out and started to low carb and stuck with it for two weeks, it was very restricted. I still didn't quite understand it. I was still in shock from my diagnosis, four weeks have pass and I'm just getting to grips with my condition and i have still more to learn, at diagosis what I needed was a hug and information and someone saying to me its a lot to take in but take it step by step you will make mistakes alone the way, but give it a while you will come on heaps and diabetes will only be your whole world for a little while, pretty soon, you will just be someone with diabetes as you will learn to control your sugars and diabetes will go from being your whole world to something you live with.there are eye doctors and foot people who will check up on you from time to time, ask all the question you need to ask when you get there. in this whole time I have been dealing with my diabetes the complications have not come into my thinking even though I knew some, the panic of I didn't even get a leaflet and I have to go on the net to find out what the is happening to me was more important that the complications, knowing the complecation of this diesase wasn't important at the time. It was more important to deal with the emotional aspect of it and know what I have and what I need to do to control it, at the end of the day how can you be scare of something you don't understand. showing a gangree foot will mean nothing to me, as when first diagnosis I knew nothing of the condition except the name and something I saw on tv.

GraceK

Dislikes
Marzipan
Insincere people
Big cities
Vulgarity
mode said:
I remember when I was first told I had diabetes, I remember being in shock, the only thing I knew about it was it can kill me ...

I found this site and all I saw was low carb low carb, it took a while to understand the impotance of carbs to me as a diabetic, I didn't know what i could eat or not, the numbers meant nothing to me on a glucose meter, I didn't know why I was getting statin or how i could eat out again if i had to low carb. I throw food out and started to low carb and stuck with it for two weeks, it was very restricted. I still didn't quite understand it.

I was still in shock from my diagnosis, four weeks have pass and I'm just getting to grips with my condition and i have still more to learn, at diagosis what I needed was a hug and information and someone saying to me its a lot to take in but take it step by step you will make mistakes alone the way, but give it a while you ...

... knowing the complecation of this diesase wasn't important at the time. It was more important to deal with the emotional aspect of it and know what I have and what I need to do to control it, at the end of the day how can you be scare of something you don't understand. showing a gangree foot will mean nothing to me, as when first diagnosis I knew nothing of the condition except the name and something I saw on tv.

Mode ... I felt that way too when I was first diagnosed ... I didn't need or want to know everything all at once I needed reassurance, I needed to know what to eat and what to avoid, I needed to know how to test my blood, and I didn't want to hear about the complications or see any pictures or read any graphic detail.

I had no intention of ignoring the fact that complications can arise, in fact I did look into the complications but I chose not to dwell on them because realised I didn't need to spend time poring over the details of complications, that my time would be better spent getting to grips with the problem of what do I eat here and now and from now on>

My view was that once I had my initial priorities in hand, I could then take time to look at the complications discussions if and when I felt the need. Prioritising isn't the same as completely ignoring an issue. I hope you're doing well. :)

whelk

The "low carbs" mantra misses the point rather. Restricting carbohydrates is a possible way of controlling your blood glucose but it does little to address the underlying situation and does not prevent poor diet choices.

Complications are quite clearly highlighted in NHS literature and on the NHS and other health websites. You don't need graphic images, but a little concern is not a bad thing and better than complacency.

Health and diet are big business.

GraceK

Dislikes
Marzipan
Insincere people
Big cities
Vulgarity
whelk said:
The "low carbs" mantra misses the point rather. Restricting carbohydrates is a possible way of controlling your blood glucose but it does little to address the underlying situation and does not prevent poor diet choices.

Complications are quite clearly highlighted in NHS literature and on the NHS and other health websites. You don't need graphic images, but a little concern is not a bad thing and better than complacency.

Health and diet are big business

There is no 'low carb mantra' coming from me. It just happens to be what worked to reduce my blood sugars very quickly and also the diet works for me in that it cuts out grains and flour products which seemed to be causing my asthma, because since I've been low carbing that's improved enormously.

I think the fact that I've got my BS back to the levels of a non diabetic in 3 months of low carbing, the fact I can breathe and walk now, I can swim 2 hours a week, I'm not bloated after eating, I have no gastro symptoms anymore says it all really - for me, the low carb diet is working. I don't overdose on fat and protein, I eat normal amounts.

As far as complications are concerned I'm not complacent either - I'm well aware of the possible complications, which is why I chose to address my diet immediately rather than hang around the COMPLICATIONS threads worrying myself to death. I'm not a person who buries my head in the sand, I work in the medical profession so I couldn't even if I wanted to. But neither do I allow myself to be influenced by scare tactics or over-zealous advice giving.

I found what works for me, for now. And I would never say that because it works for me, it will work for someone else. I'm well aware there are plenty of successful stable diabetics who follow all manner of eating regimes. And long may we all live, each to our own. :)

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
was still in shock from my diagnosis, four weeks have pass and I'm just getting to grips with my condition and i have still more to learn, at diagosis what I needed was a hug and information and someone saying to me its a lot to take in but take it step by step you will make mistakes alone the way, but give it a while you will come on heaps and diabetes will only be your whole world for a little while, pretty soon,

I think that's an important thing for a lot of us who have had diabetes for a while to remember what it was first like. Even seven years down the line, I don't like the label I've acquired but I am still me, still very active (possibly more active than I would have been) and know what to do and how to do it (usually)
There is an article on the main part of the site about the emotional effect of diagnosis.
http://www.diabetes.co.uk/emotions/copi ... nosis.html

GraceK

Dislikes
Marzipan
Insincere people
Big cities
Vulgarity
phoenix said:
was still in shock from my diagnosis, four weeks have pass and I'm just getting to grips with my condition and i have still more to learn, at diagosis what I needed was a hug and information and someone saying to me its a lot to take in but take it step by step you will make mistakes alone the way, but give it a while you will come on heaps and diabetes will only be your whole world for a little while, pretty soon,

I think that's an important thing for a lot of us who have had diabetes for a while to remember what it was first like. Even seven years down the line, even though I'm well and active I am not quite the healthy person I was before (and that's in spite of running distances that most people don't attempt, so I'm not ill either)
There is an article on the main part of the site about the emotional effect of diagnosis.
http://www.diabetes.co.uk/emotions/copi ... nosis.html

You know Phoenix ... it's nice to hear what it's like 'seven years down the line' and to hear that you're running distances that most people don't attempt ... my God that's a triumph for anyone let alone a diabetic! You may not feel you're the healthy person you were before, but that could be the effects of age ... I learn as I get older and bits of me ache where they didn't ache before, the meaning of that phrase 'youth is wasted on the young'. I can remember when getting out of bed was something I just did every morning without having to negotiate how to do it. :lol:

Well done to you!

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Grace, I didn't make it clear first time, I have edited it. I feel very healthy , diabetes is a great motivator for keeping that ways.
Unfortunately I can't forget the insulin(I'm T1), the testing , the many tests and doctors appointments. My life has changed in that way and I still grieve for the old me.
But I mustn't hijack this thread. I think it i would be really good to hear from other people who were diagnosed not so long ago.

GraceK

Dislikes
Marzipan
Insincere people
Big cities
Vulgarity
phoenix said:
Grace, I didn't make it clear first time, I have edited it. I feel very healthy , diabetes is a great motivator for keeping that ways.
Unfortunately I can't forget the insulin(I'm T1), the testing , the many tests and doctors appointments. My life has changed in that way and I still grieve for the old me.

OK .. Phoenix ... I see what you mean and I'm glad you feel very healthy. I'm T2 so I can't begin to understand what T1s have to deal with on a daily basis. I can just about manage to count the carbs on a packet of crackers, I don't know how I'd manage if I had to count out every meal and balance that with insulin. It is life changing and I think I'd probably be resentful of some of those changes especiall the counting and testing of everything and of course the injecting. :think:

whelk

Someone has complained that I don't follow the low carb party line and also suggested that I've had diabetes less than a year. I suppose that will become official now.

It's part of the behaviour I have been responding to. I can see that dissent cannot be tolerated.

catza

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Welk you yourself have said in your profile that you have only been a diabetic for 1 year. I notice also that your HbA1c is
8.5 so if you need any help getting that figure down I am happy to tell you what worked for me.

whelk

I have said that my HBa1c was 8.5. It was more recently 6.2 and is probably lower now.

Where the one year as a diabetic came from I have no idea. It's not something I would have written, having had it for about 10 years.

Advice from forums about medical matters is best avoided unless it amounts to "see your doctor."

CollieBoy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi carb Foods
whelk said:
I have said that my HBa1c was 8.5. It was more recently 6.2 and is probably lower now.
If you dont update your HbA1c, how can anyone know it has come down
whelk said:
Where the one year as a diabetic came from I have no idea. It's not something I would have written,

Ask the person who wrote your profile!

Viewing profile - whelk

Username:
whelk
Groups:
Relation to diabetes:
Type 2
Treatment type:
Oral
Years diagnosed:
Can we stay in touch:
Yes
HbA1c:

perhaps you just made an error in your typing

A

Anonymous

I am beginning to learn that no one approach suits everyone, because we are all different. I tried low carbing, but it made me feel ill, so in my case, it wasn't successful.

Nowadays, I tend to eat carbs, in moderation, but for me the secret is to lower the GI (Glycemic Index) of the carbs I do eat. This gives me a number of choices in what I eat - of course - but I am finding that eating to my meter really is the best way of evaluating how foods affect me. In fact, I can't think of a better way of going about things.

Dave

whelk

I don't recall that. but it might, as you say, be a typo.

On the other hand, it has assumed a 'political' dimension. Most of what I type is removed within minutes.

Fraddycat

ursus262 said:
I am beginning to learn that no one approach suits everyone, because we are all different. I tried low carbing, but it made me feel ill, so in my case, it wasn't successful.

Nowadays, I tend to eat carbs, in moderation, but for me the secret is to lower the GI (Glycemic Index) of the carbs I do eat. This gives me a number of choices in what I eat - of course - but I am finding that eating to my meter really is the best way of evaluating how foods affect me. In fact, I can't think of a better way of going about things.

Save

Definitely 'Eat to your meter' is the way to go :thumbup: :thumbup:

whelk

ursus262 said:

Save

I think that's a sensible observation. I have a personal strategy which is very effective but is more than simplistic dieting. The real issue is sustainability. You are better off with variety.

If you lose a lot of weight then it may well change your dietary needs and what you can tolerate. The meter is a useful addition to your toolkit

A

Anonymous

whelk said:
I have a personal strategy which is very effective but is more than simplistic dieting. The real issue is sustainability. You are better off with variety.

If you lose a lot of weight then it may well change your dietary needs and what you can tolerate. The meter is a useful addition to your toolkit

I was struck recently, by one of the low carbers (now banned) that they eat a diet that is mostly fat. The trouble is, that is simply not sustainable in the longer term - I mean, how boring the diet would actually be! After a while, you really do get sick of it. I got to say: no, not more bloody salami! :lol:

whelk

I've just eaten a dinner of belly pork. :oops: What would my Jewish grandmother have to say?

What you eat is an issue. I'm not convinced that it's the overarching one. Lewis Wolpert observed, with lots of examples, that 'common sense' is a very poor predictor of outcomes and it seems to me that diet in itself is too obviously the 'common sense' answer. Some aspects of diet my be critical.

Paul_c

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
ursus262 said:
whelk said:
I have a personal strategy which is very effective but is more than simplistic dieting. The real issue is sustainability. You are better off with variety.

I was struck recently, by one of the low carbers (now banned) that they eat a diet that is mostly fat. The trouble is, that is simply not sustainable in the longer term - I mean, how boring the diet would actually be! After a while, you really do get sick of it. I got to say: no, not more bloody salami! :lol:

you would be surprised as to how easy it is to slip in the extra fat required... I've just had chicken breast stuffed with pesto and cheese and wrapped with a couple of strips of pancetta... sweet potato mash with butter added, steamed curly kale with butter added... and followed up with a bowl of raspberries and double cream...

breakfast was scrambled eggs with yesterday's leftover creamed spinach stirred in and bacon strips...

lunch was Ardennes pate on cucumber slices and some Stilton cheese and cherry tomatoes...

Cobra3164

Dislikes
Diabetes
I found it very overwhelming at first and still trying to wrap my head around doing this and not doing the other. My shame was I was ignorant to diabetes hearing about it but just ignoring what was being said in front of my own eyes. Like others now being diabetic obviously has taken on new meaning, I am still partially in denial and now envious of people who can have a normal diet. My diabetes was my own wrong doing so I see what happened to me as a lesson learnt the hard way, it must be even more frustrating to those who are just told through no fault of their own that they have diabetes. I empathise with you.

My best

Simon aka Cobra3164