Diabetes and alcohol

Cobra3164

Dislikes
Diabetes
Hello all. After just replying to a post Ive just got this impulse to give a little testamonial, and maybe this can help people to help others.

Heres my short story I will do my best not to rant. I gave up drugs some years ago but I also enjoyed my drink starting off in moderation and getting out of hand, not to the point of being an alcoholic but enjoying it too much. About 3 months ago I had a slight pain in the area of my stomach didnt think much of it at the time. After abut 5 to 6 days it was still there so I went to see my GP, rather foolishly I did not point out that I liked my drink so I was just given antacids etc. After about another 48 hours this pain developed from being a bad ache to being intolerable and was admitted to hospital after 4 days I received the diagnosis of pancreatitis and it was indicated that my own immune system was attacking my pancreas due to my alcohol consumption and hence this has now left me with type 1 diabetes, I still find it hard to believe I killed my own pancreas.

After further discussion with my GP it was indicated to me that there are some people who are more prone to the effects of alcohol, and that makes it kinda more toxic than normal. I always wondered why I didnt have to drink too muck to get intoxicated. My message is this if you know someone maybe doing the same as I did or are worried about them, I dont want them to learn the hard way as I have had to encourage them to cut down at the least or stop. I still feel a right a***.

All my best

Simon aka Cobra3164

Ashleigh

Wow I'm glad I gave up drinking a few yrs ago now. I think I liked a drink a bit too much than was good for me too, and if drinking affects having diabetes, then if I didn't give up when I did, I reckon I'd have full diabetes by now. Same as with the low carbing. I truly believe that if I hadn't have discovered Atkins when I did, I would be a fully paid up member.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Cobra3164 said:
Hello all. After just replying to a post Ive just got this impulse to give a little testamonial, and maybe this can help people to help others.

Heres my short story I will do my best not to rant. I gave up drugs some years ago but I also enjoyed my drink starting off in moderation and getting out of hand, not to the point of being an alcoholic but enjoying it too much. About 3 months ago I had a slight pain in the area of my stomach didnt think much of it at the time. After abut 5 to 6 days it was still there so I went to see my GP, rather foolishly I did not point out that I liked my drink so I was just given antacids etc. After about another 48 hours this pain developed from being a bad ache to being intolerable and was admitted to hospital after 4 days I received the diagnosis of pancreatitis and it was indicated that my own immune system was attacking my pancreas due to my alcohol consumption and hence this has now left me with type 1 diabetes, I still find it hard to believe I killed my own pancreas.

After further discussion with my GP it was indicated to me that there are some people who are more prone to the effects of alcohol, and that makes it kinda more toxic than normal. I always wondered why I didnt have to drink too muck to get intoxicated. My message is this if you know someone maybe doing the same as I did or are worried about them, I dont want them to learn the hard way as I have had to encourage them to cut down at the least or stop. I still feel a right a***.

All my best

Simon aka Cobra3164

Hi Simon Reading your thread has brought back memories even if it was just 6 months ago. My 12 yrlold daughters daddy died in hospitalin May of this year. It was alcohol related, he was in hospital for 4 months and his organs were so badly damaged they eventually started to shut down. His liver was shot to bits and I found out he knew his liver was badly affected in 2003, when our daughter was just 2 1/2 and he never said a word. Other things came out that I didn't know about

I will never forget that day in May when I collected my daughter from school and I had to tell herthat her daddy died that morning, she just screamed and screamed and screamed. No one should go through that.

I would just like to say well done Simon for turning your life around and making it a more postive one. It shows will power, guts and determination. It was a big wake up call for you and have shown that you can do it. Give yourself a well deserved pat on the back. :clap:

I have never been much of a drinker and only have maybe one or two over christmas and new year. Ithink I have seen too much of other peoples alcohol intake over the years and growing up. Sorry, I didn't mean to say so much,it just came tumblimg out, I think it could be because christmas will be here very soon.

Take care Simon with best wishes RRB

viviennem

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Football. Bad manners.
Alcohol is one of the biggest causes of inflammation in the body, and it seems to becoming accepted now that inflammation is behind a number of physical problems.

"Nothing too much" was the inscription over the Temple of Apollo at Delphi in 1st millenium BC Greece. "Everything in moderation" is a good watchword!

Once again - do as I say, not as I do! :lol: I too like my wine :oops: but I'm getting there. :wink:

Viv 8)

X-entricity

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I enjoy a bottle of wine but restrict it to Friday and Saturday nights (and holidays) only. It is the same with many things. A little can do you good but excess of anything can be really bad. Moderation is the key word.

emersonkelly

Consult your doctor before you start drinking, keep on checking frequently your blood sugar level!!

When the levels of blood sugar gets reduced, the liver start producing glucose but if we drink alcohol then this blocks the liver to produce glucose!!

moakley39

I believe as a regular drinker(42years) and now a very very moderate drinker, I don't believe that a little in moderation will really harm you
Keep the faith and again a little every now and then won't do you harm

Cobra3164

Dislikes
Diabetes
Hello all. Moderation is a great thing when it comes to drinking no problems with it whatsoever. The reason I had been so direct is that with myself and my pancreas to prevent further attacks I have had to stop altogether nooooooooooooo pancreatitis for me was extremely painful and was enough stimulus for me to rethink. But all of those who can please enjoy a drink for me.

Simon aka Cobra3164

Caterham

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi Cobra

Sorry to hear about your problems. Personally, since diagnosis the thing that has kept me slightly sane, after having to completely change my diet, is the fact that I can still have a glass or two of chilled dry white wine in the evening.

I find this has no effect on my blood sugar at all.

carrycash

Oh i read your all story and that was really shocking..I am also drink alcohol..The other part is i have a business on that stuff..We have a wholesale business of alcohol drink.Here all brands and different taste of drink are available.http://onlinecashandcarry.co.uk/
Now after reading your story i am bit confused about my self and my business that i choose wrong one?I don't wanna to spoil my any part of my body.

zolabud

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Whelks,winkles... All crustaceous seafood except prawns. Can't do crab.lobster or scallops.
Don't like the way they are killed and cooked. Save our Scallops. SOS !!!
Also HATE evaporated milk.
When I met my long term partner is 1974 he took me for a drink and I ordered a Port and Lemon ( That's what my Gran said to order) I had once been completely ****** on Gin and was very very ill so I wasn't a drinker.
I was also just 16. He was 19.

My boyfriend ordered a pint of Guiness with 2 shots of Pernod in it and he called it a Guiness and Pernod flip.

I thought that was so cool....

Over the years we happily went out together but I didn't go to the pub with him. I had no interest in pubs so that was his domain. One of his party tricks was to get the barmaid to fill a 1/2 pint glass with a mixture of Gin,Rum,Vodka,Brandy and whiskey (In the same glass) He would neck it and the other folks in the bar would buy him another as a kind of reward.

Anyway he always had pains in his side and back.. And I was expert at massaging him and it was a nice tactile thing to do.

He self diagnosed himself with kidney stones and put up with a lot of pain for years.
He was also totally phobic about doctors and wouldn't go. Ever. I remember one night he was in a corner just rocking on his haunches in total agony and I called my Mum in and he just said "No doctors. Please ".....

Anyway years later he got taken to hospital (very much against his will) and had a scan when he was given the news that his pancreas had disappeared.
The doctor said "We can see a stump and your pancreas has gone." "We will open you up in the morning and take a look".
He was always disappearing for a fag anyway so the nurses didn't know he had legged it 'til hours later.
He just couldn't deal with the operation and he needed a drink....

He appeared back at home after hitching from the hospital.

He was dead at 49. Not only had his pancreas dissolved his liver was shot too. He died of organ failure and Emphasyma.

My son,aged 32,like his whiskey. I like my watered down Rose and the occasional Vodka and slimline.

So his death has had absolutely no effect on either of us.

Says a lot eh....

thebassist84

Interesting how in two pages of posts, the shocking affects of alcohol can be so glaringly obvious! However over in the cannabis thread, 30 pages and no talk of organ failure. Something tells me the legalities of drugs and drink are so round the wrong way. I have always said that the worst drug is alcohol but it won't get banned. The tax revenue is more important than your health. Fact.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
As with most things though, alcohol is not a problem for 99% of the population. It's the abuse of alcohol by the 1% that causes harm. I do agree though that because alcohol is so much more widespread, this 1% or so, is a lot ! Also, it will never get banned. Just look at Prohibition lol !
I'm not saying alcohol should be taken lightly, just saying in moderation, it can be enjoyed.

Jessicasugar24

Dislikes
Needles!
Cobra3164 said:

All my best

Simon aka Cobra3164

Wow! What an amazing story to share, it does prove that you have to take everything in moderation, how are you dealing with the type 1 diabetes now? I was lucky as when I was diagnosed I was only 16 months old, so I don't know anything different. X