NOVEMBER 2012 - MORNING READINGS - LOW CARBERS

GraceK

Dislikes
Marzipan
Insincere people
Big cities
Vulgarity
I wondered if any other low carbers like myself would like to join me in recording their FBS on a month by month basis? The reason I'd like to do this is to get a general picture of how low carbing is affecting our FBS and also if we can see a seasonal pattern to FBS.

I was pleasantly surprised this morning because my FBS was 6.9 using the Codefree so that means it's probably more like 5.9 because that meter tends to test high. I am so chuffed with that because I don't think I've ever had an FBS lower than 7.5 for a long time if ever.

I was very, very good yesterday because I started Rosemary Conley Weight Loss class on Monday so yesterday was my first attempt at portion control and I was scared I'd be hungry. I'm still not eating carbs because the class also does a high protein diet but it is low fat, which is why I was worried I might be hungry. But nope, I wasn't. I had bacon and egg and tomatoes for breakfast (that surprised me I didn't expect that on RC diet) for lunch I had my own home made soup and for dinner I had 100g sliced beef with a nice salad, snacks were cottage cheese on 2 crackers. I wasn't at all hungry and my BS has behaved itself and I was positively buzzing with energy yesterday. :D

Osidge

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Bullies.
Hi Grace

I am pleased that things are going well for you. Buzzing with energy sounds good to me :D

Take care

Doug

GraceK

Dislikes
Marzipan
Insincere people
Big cities
Vulgarity
Thanks Doug ... got to watch myself though cos I 'celebrated' with chocolate yesterday and fish and chips tonight ... back on the wagon tomorrow.

Ashleigh

I had a bad day on Saturday again, two gypsy tarts, crisps, two slices of gluten free bread, a couple of chips, and maybe other stuff I've forgotten.

But yesterday I nipped it in the bud and I had leftover low carb lasagna, then I went running and accidentally did week 2 of the couch to 5k plan (I'm on week 5) so I did week 5 after too, then I had chicken in a vindaloo sauce to try to clear my cold and I filled it out with spinach and peas.

My figure last night was 5.5 - but mine should be lower than most here as the dr classed me as prediabetic.

I am curious to see what numbers I would get if I ate like i used to ie bacon sandwich for breakfast, crisps or chocolate mid morning, sandwich and crisps or burger and chips etc for lunch, more crisps/choc/cake mid afternoon, pizza for dinner, more crisps/choc/cake throughout the evening, all washed down with diet coke.

I would try it for a week but its not just the numbers it would upset, it would give me a really really bad stomach, as I've developed some kind of sensitivity or intolerance to stuff like that now.

GraceK

Dislikes
Marzipan
Insincere people
Big cities
Vulgarity
9.5 for me this morning ... :( ...

... it was the fish and chips I had at 7pm last night. That wasn't a full portion btw, it was about 2ins of the tail end of a chippy fish with just over a handful of chips. Not a huge amount, but that's what potatoes and a wee bit of batter do to me. :crazy:

I only do that about once a month though. I have been naughty this week in celebration of my first successful HBA1C, I've had too much chocolate but I don't plan to be naughty too often cos I like having energy too much to jeopardise it with frequent 'treats'. :) Back on the wagon today.

B

badcat

This week mine have varied between 4.4 & 7.6 - no obvious logic to explain the difference

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
badcat said:
This week mine have varied between 4.4 & 7.6 - no obvious logic to explain the difference
Doesn't that drive you absolutely batty?

Mine can range from 4.4 to 6.4 and I'm b*ggered if I can work out why. Sometimes I think I should just stop measuring morning fasting BG and just go for before/after meals.

GraceK

Dislikes
Marzipan
Insincere people
Big cities
Vulgarity
Well I had a surprise with my
FBS today. The first surprise was ...

... I didn't wake up until 2.45pm today! Yesterday I felt really tired all day long and and nauseous. I've come to know this nausea arrives when I've lost sleep for some reason and once I sleep it off, it disappears and I feel refreshed. So l just about got through yesterday and finally fell asleep on the sofa for an hour and a half in the evening. Felt a bit better but still felt sick when I was going to bed at 12pm. Next thing I knew it was 2.45pm when I woke up and as it looked quite dark out there I assumed it was early morning and was gobsmacked when I saw the clock.

But I had no nausea, felt refreshed, went and did my test and my second surprise was ... it was 6.1 - that's my lowest FBS to date. :D

Anyone elses body react with nausea when they're overtired?

GraceK

Dislikes
Marzipan
Insincere people
Big cities
Vulgarity
7.1 this morning - that's one point up on yesterday's 6.1 after a sleepathon of 14 hours or more.

Note to self - spend more time sleeping! :)

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
Although my fasting readings do vary they generally stay within the same area regardless of what I eat the night before, my levels always seem to drop to their usual levels after a few hours now, I have not tried eating my pre diabetes diet of course so I have no idea what that would do to my readings if I eat that way for any length of time, but the odd high carb meal doesnt really throw my postprandial readings out by much at all.

GraceK

Dislikes
Marzipan
Insincere people
Big cities
Vulgarity
Sid Bonkers said:
Although my fasting readings do vary they generally stay within the same area regardless of what I eat the night before, my levels always seem to drop to their usual levels after a few hours now, I have not tried eating my pre diabetes diet of course so I have no idea what that would do to my readings if I eat that way for any length of time, but the odd high carb meal doesnt really throw my postprandial readings out by much at all.

Yes, after 3 months of very low carbing my HBA1C was 5.7 so I've been adding things like bananas and the odd bit of extra fruit which haven't cause me any problems. But I'd never go back to eating bread, pasta etc because of the way they affect my digestion and because I don't really enjoy them anyway.

GraceK

Dislikes
Marzipan
Insincere people
Big cities
Vulgarity
7.1 again this morning with Codefree = 6.1 :D

My weight is still the same :x so I'm using http://www.fatsecret.com to record my food diary ... it does all the counting for me - carbs, protein, fat, cholesterol ... adds it all up as I go along and tells me how much of my RDI I've had so that I know how much more food I'm allowed and also which food category I need to eat a bit more or less of. This site practically wipes my nose for me! It's incredible.

What I like most about it is it's showing me how some sneaky little carbs and fats that I don't want, are finding their way into my diet which might be sabotaging my LCHF regime and stopping me from losing weight.

I'm not usually good at filling in things like this, but since I've formed the habits of blood testing and checking food labels for carbs, taking my vits and supplements etc., that's now become second nature and takes me next to no time. So keeping a food diary is my current good habit to adopt and I've got my head round doing that in two days. Haaa's on knuckles and rubs knuckles on chest. :D

GraceK

Dislikes
Marzipan
Insincere people
Big cities
Vulgarity
7.3 with Codefree this morning.

There seems to be a pattern to my BS levels. Highest first thing in the morning, then higher again after eating, but gets down to late 5's and 6's by bedtime.

Wish I could get this FBS a bit lower though. But nevertheless, I'm thankful that at least it's not 13 now. :D

GraceK

Dislikes
Marzipan
Insincere people
Big cities
Vulgarity
8.1 this morning but ooooooh I was verynaughty last night. I bought a packet of coconut creams yesterday :oops: and I ate not one, not two but six last night with a cup of coffee. :oops:

That's the first time I've bought biscuits since August and it's because I had such a good HBA1C the other week that I felt 'a couple of bikkies won't do any harm' and I truly intended eating only two, but 2 led to 4 cos you can't eat an odd number, and I don't like the number 4 so I bumped it up to 6. Makes perfect sense to me. :think:

See how easy it is to feel entitled to a reward when we've done summat successful? Hmmm ... I've gotta get that outta my head then - that kind of reward and diabetes don't go together.

But I don't like seeing that 8 on the meter and I want to see my MFBS way lower than that so I'm going to have to be a bit stronger to overcome the old bikki habit. Still quite a few left in the packet. :roll:

Osidge

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Bullies.
There's always that feeling after a good HbA1c that a reward is in order but sadly our reward must always be good health. Well what's it to be, Grace, naughty step or a trip with you little friends to the bin?? You have little time to make a decision as I have already rung the crispy sweet police and they are on the way to make a biccy raid. They are highly trained operatives and will sniff out your stash using their biccy dogs.

Do you think I am being a little melodramatic ? Well it has woken me up now and I am off to be the caped crusader.

In a world of his own

Doug

GraceK

Dislikes
Marzipan
Insincere people
Big cities
Vulgarity
Osidge said:
There's always that feeling after a good HbA1c that a reward is in order but sadly our reward must always be good health. Well what's it to be, Grace, naughty step or a trip with you little friends to the bin?? You have little time to make a decision as I have already rung the crispy sweet police and they are on the way to make a biccy raid. They are highly trained operatives and will sniff out your stash using their biccy dogs.

Do you think I am being a little melodramatic ? Well it has woken me up now and I am off to be the caped crusader.

In a world of his own

Doug

Biccy dogs? Noooooo ... not the Biccy dogs, pulleeeeease ... have some compassion :shock:

I promise I won't do it again and as a penance I've done a very good deed today for a lovely young girl T1 Diabetic who I met in Holland & Barratt while I was buying some olive leaf. She told me she'd only been diagnosed a few months and has already been in hospital several times with ketoacidosis and she had no faith in the NHS because her BS keeps rising and she doesn't really know how to handle it all. She seemed really scared and lost and so I told her about the forum and how much great information and support there is here. She was so pleased to meet another newly diagnosed diabetic who could show her where to come for some info and support, it brought home to me what a scary time it can be, especially for young people having to adjust to all the food changes and countings etc.

So I really hope she logs on and joins the forum. :)

Osidge

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Bullies.
Well done, Grace. I have called off the troops!!

Regards

Doug

GraceK

Dislikes
Marzipan
Insincere people
Big cities
Vulgarity
Osidge said:
Well done, Grace. I have called off the troops!!

Regards

Doug

Deep siiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiggghhhhh ... :D phew!

GraceK

Dislikes
Marzipan
Insincere people
Big cities
Vulgarity
Woooooooooooooooooooooowwwww! Gotta put today's date in writing so I remember it.

24 November 2012

Today my FBG was 6.6 with the Codefree meter. Yes it was 6.6 so I took it again five minutes later just in case it was a false reading and it was exactly the same - 6.6.

Now in Codefree terms that means 5.6 which is an FBS that has never happened to me before.

Zippiddy doo daa, zippiddyay ... my oh my what a wonderful day ... plenty of Vit D3 and Olive Leaf Extract coming my waaaaaay ... zippiddy doo dah, dippiddyaaaaaayyy! :oops:

Sorry, couldn't help myself folks.

Now here's something really weird. Last time I had a good, long sleep of more than 10 hours, my FBS was an unheard of before 6.1 on waking When I have only 7-8 hours sleep my FBS is usually in the 7s.

Yesterday afternoon and evening I had my first two doses of Olive Leaf Extract which doesn't taste too bad actually.

Last night, I ate some spare ribs for tea, they weren't very nice so I dumped the rest and ate 2 Dairylee cheeses between four Jacob's Sweet Chilli Savoury crackers, which are delicious and low carb btw. After that I ate two mini bananas and after that, I don't remember any more because I fell fast asleep on the sofa and woke myself up at 2am because I was snoring and my throat was sore due to the central heating still being on! :oops: I'd only had about 6 hours sleep the night before, not enough for me and so after a short night I always fall asleep early the next evening as I can't fight tiredness off as I did when younger. My body just takes whatever sleep it requires without consulting me at all. :lol:

So I picked myself up and went straight to bed and slept until 10.30am today when my FBS was 6.6 which = 5.6 on Codefree meter.

Something has definitely been going on with my sleep patterns over the past decade or so, I don't know if it's age or a general thing, but if I don't get enough sleep at night, I just feel like I've been out for a night on the town and am heavily hung over the next day and I feel nauseous too. A few hours sleep cures it.

I know that every organ in the body has a time for working and for resting, which is why we need sleep and why we shouldn't do certain things like eat heavy meals during the night because we're working organs when they should be resting and rejuvenating.

Has anyone else noticed a difference in their FBS when they have a really long sleep or a short sleep?
:)