Increased Blood sugar levels

stephiesut

Hi everyone,

This is my first time on this site, so apologies if this post is in the wrong place, but I need some advice.

I was diagnosed with type 2 in august this year, with a fasting blood sugar level of 13.9. I was put on 2000mg metformin daily and after 4 weeks it had come down to 10.8. All of my initial symptoms had disappeared, and things were going nicely. However, for the last couple of weeks things haven't felt right. I havent changed my diet, I still eat well, but I noticed small changes like getting tired again. For the last week things have been awful, I am itchy all over, have thrush that wont clear, have been horrendously thirsty and peeing all the time, my skin is dry and flaking and my eyesight is blurring a little. I tested my levels yesterday, a few hours after eating and they were 20.3 (I dont have my own testing kit but my husband is diabetic also and is prescribed one!) before bed, 3 hours after eating they were 24.3 and by ten this morning after a 14 hour fasting they were still at 16.4. Right now, after not eating since lunch time they are back up to 20.0.

I have no idea what is causing this sudden relapse, nothing has changed diet wise, and I am not ill (other than feeling lousy because of the sugar levels)

I know I need to speak to my diabetes nurse but there is a month long waiting list for an appointment for her, and I dont want to take up an emergency doctors appointment on monday if this is a normal phase for a newly diagnosed diabetic to go through and I am being overly worried over nothing.

Any advice greatly appreciated, even if its just to say I am being neurotic! :lol:

claxton

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
injustice in society, people can no longer say what they think. The way companies try to turn there staff into clones
Hi There.
I would say that your blood sugar levels seem very high. I would get some advice as soon as possible. The levels I was told for blood glucose was 7-10 mg/l two hours after eating. It normally takes me about three hours to reach this level. The fact that you are drinking and peeing all the time indicates that your blood glucose levels are way too high and your body is trying to dump the excess. As you were diagnosed about three months ago I think you should expect better control than this.
Best regards
Claxton

Fraddycat

Hi steph, welcome to the forum. I don't what what your diet is like but I would recommend that you cut down on some of the carbohydrates that you eat.

I have reduced the amount of pasta, rice, potatoes and bread and that has had a really positive impact on my blood sugar levels.

Is it something you think you can change?

Your numbers are very high, if a diet change does not make any difference to your numbers please go and see your GP, you may need extra medication.

kt78

Please, don't feel you are wasting a GP appointment. You are not well and need to be seen! x

welsh_kev

I agree, pop back and see the doc, and above all dont panic and get all stressed up.
I would seriously look at all the info available on diet and nutrition and decide whats best for you, mysef, i choose a ultra low carb diet. Its worked well so far for me
Good luck and let us know how u get on
Kev x

the east man

Dislikes
having to think about everything I eat
stephiesut said:
Hi everyone,

This is my first time on this site, so apologies if this post is in the wrong place, but I need some advice.

I was diagnosed with type 2 in august this year, with a fasting blood sugar level of 13.9. I was put on 2000mg metformin daily and after 4 weeks it had come down to 10.8. All of my initial symptoms had disappeared, and things were going nicely. However, for the last couple of weeks things haven't felt right. I havent changed my diet, I still eat well, but I noticed small changes like getting tired again. For the last week things have been awful, I am itchy all over, have thrush that wont clear, have been horrendously thirsty and peeing all the time, my skin is dry and flaking and my eyesight is blurring a little. I tested my levels yesterday, a few hours after eating and they were 20.3 (I dont have my own testing kit but my husband is diabetic also and is prescribed one!) before bed, 3 hours after eating they were 24.3 and by ten this morning after a 14 hour fasting they were still at 16.4. Right now, after not eating since lunch time they are back up to 20.0.

I have no idea what is causing this sudden relapse, nothing has changed diet wise, and I am not ill (other than feeling lousy because of the sugar levels)

I know I need to speak to my diabetes nurse but there is a month long waiting list for an appointment for her, and I dont want to take up an emergency doctors appointment on monday if this is a normal phase for a newly diagnosed diabetic to go through and I am being overly worried over nothing.

Any advice greatly appreciated, even if its just to say I am being neurotic! :lol:
What is your diet?

stephiesut

Well I saw the gp and he has put me on gliclazide as well as the metformin, and recommended I test regularly (though I dont have my own monitor, will just have to keep nicking the husbands and hope his strips dont run out lol, why are the NHS so difficult about prescribing these things for people who need them?)

My diet isnt too bad. I am overweight, so since being diagnosed, with my nurses support, I have been following Weight Watchers, and losing weight well. Everything is sugar free. I am considering looking at a low carb diet, but I will run it past my nurse first as the arguments for and against are too confusing! As it is I dont have a high carb diet anyway, but massively restricting or eliminating these is something I am just unsure of at the moment!