i cannot eat ANYTHING

lilla

Dislikes
The usual, bigots; dictators........
Blimey Kenny NUTELLA, i hav not been near chocolate spread, in case it jumped out and got me!
I think i have been incredibly stuuupid! i have been having Benecal yoghurt drink i always have it, to reduce my chol. well at 6pm ihas omlette with bacon and mushrooms thinking this would bring down my suage levels, before it 6. i think i said, then a benecal drink, an now its 9.1.............er! um this could be the problem????? :oops: :crazy: :thumbdown: , well im hoping so because a protein meals brings that kind of reading then, something has drastically changed in the last few days, i had run out 3 days ago, and had them again, this last 2 days.............should i jump and down and drink water? oh give up the day an go to bed and throw away the rest in the morning?

lilla

Dislikes
Also my meter has stopped beeping about anything, use to beep when i put the strip in, now it only does the visual thing, i wonder if its working properly? Do they always beep? :shock:

KennyS

lilla said:
Benecal yoghurt drink i always have it, to reduce my chol. well at 6pm ihas omlette with bacon and mushrooms thinking this would bring down my suage levels, before it 6. i think i said, then a benecal drink, an now its 9.1.............er! um this could be the problem?????

I use to have a couple of Actemel a day and they did the same thing..... so no more Actemel!

Kenny

angieG

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
The Dairy Free Mixed berries Benecol has the lowest carb (about 1.9g I think)

HTH
Angie

IanD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Carbohydrates
I suggest you try to settle into a good low carb routine for two or three weeks, to assess your condition, & then you can discuss medication. Many of us do need some medical help. Diabetes isn't fast acting, so no need to panic, just to persevere.

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm also single and have never enjoyed cooking. I lived on ready meals and snack foods for years - probably a big contributor to why I became diabetic. I was also a yo-yo dieter - and an ex smoker. Every time I quit smoking, I gained 20kgs and became prediabetic - finally diabetic after the last quit. I've gained and lost that same 20kgs quite a few times in my life - which probably did nothing good for my insulin resistance.

As a creature of habit who doesn't like to think about food all that much or to spend heaps of time preparing it, I've got a fairly easy to sustain routine now. I buy a dozen eggs a week, hard boil/peel them in advance and have 2 for breakfast each morning, along with about 30g pre-cooked cold meat like chicken, corned beef or sliced deli ham/turkey/chicken, half an avocado and a small piece of fruit like kiwi, mandarin, orange. I never have more than 10g carbs because breakfast spikes me more than any other meal.

I don't tend to eat a big lunch, mostly a full fat Greek yoghurt, a couple of slices of cheese, olives, a handful of macadamias or cashews, tinned mackerel/salmon, etc. Snacks tend to be a teaspoon or two of nut butter and coconut oil.

Every few weeks I buy a stack of pre-cut stir fry meat from the butchers (usually lamb, beef, pork, chicken) - I then split into freezer bags of around 100g or so and freeze, also a few salmon fillets. Then all I need to do add some oil, balsamic, mustard or whatever to the defrosted meat as a marinade and quickly stir fry. Make a quick salad or steam a few veggies and I'm good to go.

Boring you might think? I'm not bored yet...

I've been eating this way for months and it makes shopping a hell of a lot quicker when you shop the perimeter and I'm probably saving a fortune by skipping all the processed junk food. I think part of the key for me was to start thinking of food as nourishment and stop looking at it as entertainment or emotional solace or whatever.

I absolutely don't miss bread, biscuits, crisps, etc. I allow myself good dark chocolate, but mostly I'm not that fussed whether I have it or not. My usual dessert is about 100g of berries and double cream. And I've never felt in better physical health than I do now in my 61st year :D

IMO, when you start saying to yourself "they'll pry that <insert name of food you can't live without> from my dead fingers", then you've probably got an unhealthy, if not addictive, relationship to that food.

lilla

Dislikes
Ian, Angie, Kenny, thanks you, all noted the tip about the cheese and bed has made a big difference, I woke up about 4.30am, had a munch on the cheese, sip of water went back to sleep and woke up feeling good at 7.30 took my blood it was 5.2, :D So bearing in mind what has been said i immediately cooked egg and bacon, scorffed that, i was actually hungry.....about 10am i will see if its made a difference.
Indy, that sounds like me too, the only thing i would be loathed to give up is a cuppa, you sound like you sorted out your needs, and it hit home when you said "food is not about entertainment, but nourishment" thats exactly the conclusion i came to a few days ago, not my solace, to sit of an evening and pick and sweet munchies, or unthinkingly eat pastries, toast well anything to stop the hunger, i never ate much so little bits always surficed, cooking a wholemeal, for me to only eat a tiny portion of it seemed like a waste of time. I also think when my husband passed away, my way of mourning was not to enjoy the foods we enjoyed together especially him, i would cook great meals then. So little by little i just stopped enjoying real food and did not bother anymore.

How you organise your food seems like something i could manage at the moment, thank you so much for sharing that with me.

Once again dear people of this forum, i am sooo grateful for the company and advice you have shared with me, yesterday felt like i was in a black hole, hopefully today, with such a good start i will be much better. :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Who said anything about not having a cuppa, LOL. I'm addicted to black tea, which I drink by the mugful all day long. Every so often I try to cut back, but it never lasts long. Luckily I gave up drinking tea with milk and sugar years ago, or I'd probably have some problems now.

Most people swear by cream in coffee or tea :)

1andylock

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I would definitely recommend you go into Metformin it really helps with the whole stability thing.
Then the rest is just about following to healthy balanced diet. Veg fish low Cal low Carb low sugar.
But you have to have stability first and for me meds and Metformin are the way.
I would not test myself 2 hours after breakfast but later maybe before. Lunch or dinner. Yes occasionally but not all the time.
I do early morning the at various times during the day. Life is not about 2 hours after breakfast but about all day.
You can beat this and its Admiral that you want to do Jr without meds but then don't beat yourself up.

alliebee

Lilla. I too love tacos...ok. just ditch the shells ...iceburg lettuce. Make mince with taco sesoning. I use old el paso. V low carb...when done put mince over iceburg lettuce then dollop sour cream then salsa. (Check carbs or make your own. Grate cheese over. Enjoy! Mmmmm