NUTS!!!!!!!!!

csarge38

Morning all.

Just a quickie please. Having been warned off chocolate, cakes etc I decided if I get a peckish to eat a handful of dry roasted peanuts. After telling my diabetic nurse this I was informed that they are too high in fat??????? Ok, fine. something else I cant eat then. What about monkey nuts? Anyone know if these are ok? Advice please. Oh by the way I have high Cholesterol too. I have lost almost 2 stone in weight and feel loads better but cant break the evening snacking.

Chris

Hobs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
Argumenative barstifferous (new word *lol*) types who think that they know everything *wink*
Nothing wrong with high fat, unless of course, you are watching your fat consumption. However, I would caution you about those dry roasted nuts and teeth. My dentist told me he undertakes more remedial work because of those nuts than any other foodstuff :thumbsdown:

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. Overall nuts are good for diabetics in sensible quantities; I don't specifically know about peanuts. The fat thing is very NHS and remember that your blood sugar is the key thing and hence if you don't have fat and you don't have carbs there are not too many foods left! I dip into walnuts and brazils during the day so don't eliminate them.

Nikkig

I snack on almonds which I find very satisfying. They are also said be good at reducing LDL levels in choloestral (which are the baddies). How true that is I am not sure, but with my 6 month review this week......I'll let you know ! :?:

IanD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Carbohydrates
Nuts are a feature of my low carb diet - particularly the use of ground almonds & coconut flour as a porridge & for baking.

I also eat mixed nuts for snacking, but I'm not keen on roasted/salted.

We get our energy from carbs, protein & fats, but carbs are the main contributors to blood glucose. You will be told that fats are generally bad, but those claims are unsubstantiated. Eatings fats as they come in nuts, cheese, Greek yoghurt, is an easy source of energy - & fat has about double the energy of carbs.

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
I snack in nuts, primaily almonds or pecans. I try not to overindulge. I also have my 1 piece of chocolate every evening.
Hana

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Don't forget about trying seeds too :)

GraceK

Dislikes
Marzipan
Insincere people
Big cities
Vulgarity
I snack on brazil nuts and almonds and peanuts. I think they're a great way of getting good fat down me. Remember it's the yukky nasty processed messed about with fats like low fat spreads etc that we need to avoid. But I think a healthy dose of nuts on a regular basis is good. :thumbup:

Nik442

you're nuts m'lord! who remembers that sketch from two ronnies? i snack on nuts too, take those away and i'd be left with very little. i always weigh a quantity out on kitchen scales rather than sitting with the packet open on my lap.

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I love nut butters - my favourite is a mix of almond, brazil and cashew - yum, yum.

GraceK

Dislikes
Marzipan
Insincere people
Big cities
Vulgarity
Dunno what it is with me, I've tried the Almond Butter and also the almond flour for making cakes and bread, but I actually ended up throwing my almond bread and cakes in the bin as the taste just was not for me and I'd rather do without.

But I love munching on whole almonds.

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I've started eating unsalted mixed nuts. I love Brazils and walnuts, but mix in cashews and peanuts as well. Seems to be good for me! Dunno what the Diabetic nurse will say when I tell her on Wednesday though! I've lost 1 stone since being diagnosed last month. got my glucose down to 5.3 on 2x Metformin per day and eating sensibly. althoguh I'm still eating carbs at the moment!
Also just back from a business trip toCambodia where all they eat is rice with a bit of sauce etc. So didn't really have a choice but to eat the rice! Still lost a bit of weight and feel ok with it all so far!

Steve :D

GraceK

Dislikes
Marzipan
Insincere people
Big cities
Vulgarity
suffolkscouser said:
I've started eating unsalted mixed nuts. I love Brazils and walnuts, but mix in cashews and peanuts as well. Seems to be good for me! Dunno what the Diabetic nurse will say when I tell her on Wednesday though! I've lost 1 stone since being diagnosed last month. got my glucose down to 5.3 on 2x Metformin per day and eating sensibly. althoguh I'm still eating carbs at the moment!
Also just back from a business trip toCambodia where all they eat is rice with a bit of sauce etc. So didn't really have a choice but to eat the rice! Still lost a bit of weight and feel ok with it all so far!

Steve :D

You've done well losing a stone in a month and your levels look great and if you've managed that while still eating carbs - good for you! Congratulations on that. :thumbup:

Looks like the nuts aren't doing any harm.

Are you by any chance a Scouser who now lives in Suffolk or are you a Suffolker who now lives in Scouseland? :think: