Very scared mummy

Emma's heros

Hi all , I am new to the site. My daughter (8 yrs old) was diagnosed 6 wks ago, she is T1 and is BM every couple of hours and has 4 injections a day. I think we are settling in to it now and my baby girl is incredibly brave. I wait until she asleep before I crumble. Any helpful hints or tips would be gratefully received as I am very scarred about the road ahead of us x

Cooper15

Hello

Just wanted to say I was diagnosed at 14 now 33 and just had my first baby. It was very hard for my mum at the time , but we coped and my word of advise is do your research keep up to date with all the new treatments and make sure your under a hospital not just a GP surgery as your daughter will get much better support as will you. Lots of events as well for parents an kids that can help you through this initial phase check out the juvenile diabetes website . I hope i have helped a little

jayne15

Emma's heros said:
Hi all , I am new to the site. My daughter (8 yrs old) was diagnosed 6 wks ago, she is T1 and is BM every couple of hours and has 4 injections a day. I think we are settling in to it now and my baby girl is incredibly brave. I wait until she asleep before I crumble. Any helpful hints or tips would be gratefully received as I am very scarred about the road ahead of us x

Hi VSM, I posted a couple of days before you AKA very sad mummy! Meg is 7 and diagnosed at the end of October, I know exactly what you are going through, I hope life is getting easier and That you are feeling better, lets do this journey together not sure how you give personal contact details on this forum but I am here if you need to talk xx we had a 2 hourly BM night last night know exactly how you feel xx

Emma's heros

Hi, thanks for your reply. It's good to know other people are experiencing the same. We are getting their she has still has so many highs and lows at the moment still not settled down yet. I hope your little girl is ok, and the same if you need a chat xxx

Spearmint

It does get easier the more you learn about it and in time levels 'should' settle down

I still get stressed and frustrated and down about it and sit and cry, it is only natural and better than bottling it all up inside and ignoring it!

Spearmint

Sorry to hear that :(

I know how you feel, earlier in the year my daughter went through 6 weeks of dropping to 2.4 at random times every day - **** hormones i think!!!!
It is horrible watching them go through that, i hope she is ok the rest of the night x

jayne15

Hi Emma how did your night go ? meg was 10 at midnight so we had a better night I am keeping everything crossed she doesn't have her daily hypo at school today she has had her insulatard reduced now and has stopped her actrapid. a lot of trial and error at the moment.

Emma's heros

Hi, I checked maddie at 10 last night and it was 9, so ok. She has woken up this morning with a rotten cough and cold she is at school. Had to rush back though they gave her insulin at lunch time and then realised she had forgotten her lunch. I will have to check her keytones later when she gets home :? . I hope Meg has a good day

Emma

serankine

Hi my daughter is 6 and was diagnosed 2 years ago this month!! Yet it seams like only yesterday.
When Leah was first diagnosed i ordered a really good book 'through the looking glass' It has loads of case studies with children- teenagers-adults. Their experiences with -type 1 and what hypos feel like and many other things i still go back and re-read chapters now.
It helped me relate to how Leah was feeling when hypo or hyper.
And also helped me since she was diagnosed with coeliac in May.
Hope everything is well.

SandraR

Hi

Of course you are scared and anxious. It is a very difficult condition to come to terms with. My advice would be not to expect to get over it anytime soon and to give yourself permission to take as long as you need to adjust to the new direction your lives have taken. I took over a year to really feel accepting of my son's condition after he was diagnosed at age 11 (Yr 7 of primary school). I'm sure people around me thought that it was 'old news' a matter of weeks after my son came out of hospital, but for me the reality was that it took a long while for the whole family to recover.

My son is now 16 years old and very happy and healthy. His diabetes rarely causes him any issue at all. My fears that his future would be 'ruined' were rather more extreme than I now realise. The most difficult thing we find is to do anything new for the first time - whether it be a Birthday Party, Christmas, a swimming trip, a new sport, sleepover - whatever it may be is very daunting for the first time and you can easily convince yourself that its better for your child to avoid such things and that you would rather these events weren't happening!. However, for us we have found that repeatedly taking on new challenges just increases your confidence each time - so I would say to get on and have your child take part in whatever they would have done if they were without the condition, but just plan for the extra care and supervision on top.

My son now behaves exactly like any other 16 year old. Everyone around him knows of his condition and he has a full support network in place for everything he does - but he isn't weighed down by it all. Last month, he got a moped just as he would have done if he didn't have T1. Its scary for sure, but every day that he rides it, I feel a little less freaked out - and that's the same for all his activities and adventures. But to get to this stage we had to allow him to ride a pedal bike to secondary school before that, and to walk to primary school before that - its just a case of building up to the bigger stuff gaining more confidence as you go! Earlier this year, he went walking up Snowdon and next year he is off with the school to Berlin for a week. I am now beginning to contemplate that he will go away to university - wheareas at one time, I imagined I would have to shadow him for his whole life to protect him!

I also had visions of my son being in and out of hospital and taking ambulance rides. We've been fortunate that it hasn't been the case at all. If I had known back at diagnosis, what I know now - I would not have been so desperately destroyed by the diagnosis. Although, I will always wish things had been different.

There is a huge community of parents of children with diabetes who you may find helpful. There are Facebook Groups and CWD (Children with Diabetes) all of whom will talk to you about each and every detail of having a child with T1 - and to give you instant support with those little worries you will be having, or just to listen to your rants when things aren't going so well!

Take care.

monkeymutha

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've been diabetic type 1 for 27 years now. Also have a three year old boy who I wory about getting it. I keep an eye on him as much as possible. It must be hard with a 6 year old, I was 13 when my mum caught me, she was a type 1 diabetic. I would say it is important to monitor closely the blood glucose levels, horrible for a child my mum used to call the diabetic nurse a vampire lol. Keep an eye out for weeing lots, thirst and lethargy meaning high glucose levels. Low levels can come in multiple forms, hyperactivity, etc, be careful. Also keep an eye on what is being eaten, sweets are not good though type 1 is better than type 2 for what can be eaten though probably not at that age. I don't know how I managed at school to be honest my mum just packed me off with a lunch and off I went. All the teachers must have known. Just went normally to be honest. Just be careful at the young age when they don't really understand (I guess) the importance of what they have to do to keep their levels in check. But please drum iit into them as they get older they may neglect (I did). Anyhow I am now a nearly 41 year old with no horrible complications and like I say a litlun myslelf. Keep positive. It ain't easy. My mum was diabetic had horrible problems with her eyes probably not long after I was diagnosed, hence the need to look after your kid. Take care.

jayne15

hi Emma how are things ? Meg doing ok apart from pre lunch hypos i have been reducing her insulatard so now only on 6 in the morning and 2 at tea time. First clinic appointment next week which Im dreading a bit :?: hope things are calming down a bit for you and your little girl x

Emma's heros

Hi Jayne ?,
We are ok Maddie has just got over a chest infection which sent her blood sky high but she has asthma as well so I haven't slept for a week lol, but she is back to having hypos now every other day, she had 2 yesterday. I am dropping her breakfast insulin tomorrow hopefully that works. We had clinic a couple of weeks ago and it was good I got a lot more info about the tests they carried out when she was in hospital and all the other team were on hand to speak to as well. We had a session with the child psychologist on Wednesday for the first time, she wants to see me on my own and Maddie again. I'm glad that you and meg are doing ok. Let me know how you get on at the clinic xx

hello my daughter got diagonsed at 18 months old she was in DKA badly with compilcations in june she is 2 next month she started off on 2 injections a day moved her onto 4 a day and she has now got her funding so she can get her pump it is hard i still have my days it does get easier in time know it dont seem it yet but it does i have a very supportive nurse which helps alot, i have good and bad days with her where she wont eat or drink or have blood tests or is so hard to inject