Differing sugar levels

Joyola

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Last night when I checked my sugar levels, I was expecting them to be In the 7's, which is a bit on the high side side for me.
3 readings, within a minute gave me the following results,
Middle finger, 8.8
Ring finger 11.5
Index finger 7.6

Has anyone any idea why I got such differing results, anyone else had this experience?

I should add my meter is only 18 months old, and is an Accu Check, Nano.

Virgo123

Joyola, that leaves me with a big question. I have never tried different fingers, but will and feed back.
I have tried the same finger twice in a row and the readings differ slightly.

I think Ive been told that the machine fluctuates within a small range, not quite sure now by how much.
But you have something there which has got me thinking. :?

spendercat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Cruelty. I am kind.
Gotta be the meter. Unless you have a very unusual blood circulation. Time to get another one, perhaps. Then run a comparison test between old and new meters to confirm.

Cultivator

Hi, from what I've seen on here, and found myself, it is quite common to get different readings - some of it is the 'margin of error' on the machine - I would say the difference between your 7.6 and 8.8 might just about be accounted for by that. Also if your fingers aren't totaly clean or if you squeeze the blood drop more or less it is supposed to affect it somehow I don't know, the 11.5 is clearly very different and would have had me stressing :) Did you test again later on or not??

cheers

angieG

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've got an Acu check Mobile and the other week I got a 5.6 which seemed a bit lower than what I was expecting so I tried again with blood from the same hole and got 10.1, thought this can't be right so tried a third squeeze from the same hole and got 7.9.
I have 2 other meters so tried them too and the SD Codefree said 8.8 and the Glucomen said 8.1. :crazy:
I decided that I would just take a sort of average and hope I injected the right amount for my meal :lol:

I know variations occur but 5.6, 10.1 and 7.9 at the same time from the same meter, bizarre!!

Angie

Mushroom

I have had something similar range as yours. Didn't keep the readings, sorry. Same finger - 3 different holes, 30 seconds apart and 3 completely different readings!
Yesterday, did 2 readings at one and a half hours and then at 2 hours after a meal and only 0.5 difference which I thought was logical.

Joyola

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thank you for the replies folks, the results in my post are in the order they were taken.
I've just checked my levels this morning, and it's 5.1 which is within my normal range, last night's was 6.3, again normal sort of level for me for an evening test.

AGJ

I am just getting my sugar levels under control as I was diagnosed with type 2 some two years ago and lost 20 kilos or approx 3 stones 3 lb. My sugar levels went down I was cured!! I was even discharged from my hospital clinic as not needing further support. About six months ago I felt lousy and took a blood sample my blood sugar was off the richter scale so I am now back on metformin and glycecide again.

In response to the articles here I have just taken three tests within minutes and got 7.5,7.4,7.2. I made sure I washed my hands before this. I ate about 2 hours ago so not bad. If I forget to thoroughly wash my fingers I do get odd results.

I think I shall have to lose another 3 stones and perhaps I can have a diabetic free life - I wish

Hi
Just a thought. I had the same problem with vastly fluctuating readings within a couple of minutes on my meter some time ago. My meter was also between 18 months and 2 years old at the time. It transpired the batteries were running low! As soon as I replaced the batteries I got even readings again without the wild fluctuations. So now I know that if I get what I think is an odd reading then a wildly different one a minute or so later, it's maybe time to change the meters batteries.
Jacqueline