Diabetes & Benefits

jskaife

Good Afternoon All,

Please note im not a benefit junkie by all means however when I was younger (under 16) I my parents received disability living allowance for myself however it stopped when I was 16.

I wanted to know whether any other Diabetics received benefits?

I am 22 and live with my wife and have a mortgage etc..

It will be interesting to hear your views

Thanks

Reactions: 4 people

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
I think you'll find you are not entitled to benefits for diabetes, unless you have severe complications leading to other needs

kegstore

Dislikes
Unnecessary rudeness, and any PC
There's no harm in applying as each case is treated individually on its merits, and depends entirely on your health and circumstances. DLA is not means-tested and you may just be surprised at the outcome, I certainly was. :wink:

hot dog

Hi, my neighbour has type 2 and gets benefits he never works (LAZY), i got type 1 work 6 days a week applied got turned down.

totsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
liars, animal cruelty
hya, i get benefits dla for something else and they gave nothing extra for diabetes, as if treated well its not a problem :?

Stunning

Dislikes
The so-called Diabetic team at the hospital!!!
Hi All,

T1 almost 30 years.

Since 2005 (which is when my problems began), i have been claiming Incapacity Benefit (due to Uncontrolled Diabetes).

The Social fund and associated organisations state that I cannot claim any other benefits.

Just for the record, I do participate in voluntary work and study on the Open University while i regain my momentum. To be on benefits for the rest of my life i would happily find the nearest cliff to launch myself off......if you get my meaning.

Reactions: JulzH

LittleSue

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Diagnosis of diabetes itself does not qualify you for any benefits (except maybe free prescriptions). Your physical condition/ability to work may be affected by complications of T1, but that's a separate matter.

I hate it when the media talk about "people with chronic health conditons" and "long-term sickness benefit claimants" as if they're the same thing!

m1dpq

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not a great lot.. Jazz, People who think they are better than others..
To All,

Regarding Diabetes and Benefits... There is no significant right for anyone with Diabetes to receive benefits, unless you have other severe complications.

All cases are taken on their own merit, as where DLA is not means tested and you can (if working still receive it), Incapacity benefit is now being replaced with ESA and in the case of disabled persons ESA Support group..

I was born with a condition that creates all sorts of problems, both physically and mentally, and although i worked up to 1995 (and served with the RAF), i then had a 1 year of sickness that eventually lead me onto Incapacity Benefit and the DLA.

There are now means of removing those who flaunt the system, but it is also harming those who need the help the most.. On a whole 73 people who have been in the past permamently disabled and unable to work (countrywide) have died since being removed from the benefits that they have been receiving (DLA & InCap) benefits to help them try to lead a as normal a life as possible.

There are the whiners and whingers who say that there are many people who are on benefits who are (LAZY), no maybe not.. There are many HIDDEN disabilities that do not show or manifest in ways that people can recognise.. Diabetes is a hidden disability, there are many, many others that are of this type..

Myself i have a normal outward looking body, but under the skin its a different matter.. My medical team keep me going, i am soon about to come off the VIctoza and go onto Humalin (if thats how you spell it), but i'm also on Gliclazide x4 daily as my body rejects Metformin as i am allergic to it.. but also i have Gabapentin (nerve pain-killer) and Morphine so it kills the pain almost completely.

All you have to ask yourself if you wish to apply for benefits is this.. Do i want it, do i need it, if the answer is yes then read up on it carefully first as you may find that although you may not qualify for it, you may qualify for something else..

We are all as Diabetics (except those on Diet only) entitled to free perscriptions "Medical Exemption" (see your GP or Diabetic nurse) if you don't already have it.. and it lasts 5 years, but you also get a free eye test and assistance with getting help for your feet, if needed.. as for dental or help with glasses and you are on a low income you can apply for a "HC2" which if approved gives you help towards (FREE) Dental treeatment and a voucher towards your glasses..

Any questions?

Peter

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
Hi Peter, this thread is three years old so a lot has changed since the original post was made but I would not argue with anything that you have said, the old Incapacity Benefit has been a lifeline for many including myself and the current reassessments being carried out on behave of the government by ATOS have caused huge amounts of stress to many good people and while it was intended to root out benefit fraud it has caught up in its net many innocent claimants who have been deemed fit to work but who realistically will never be employable.

It has caused so much stress to so many wholly innocent people and IMHO should be scrapped, there has to be an easier, fairer and more caring way to dig out the benefit cheats, in fact I seriously doubt if the government will save any money at all in real terms after ATOS have been paid their blood money.

leking

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
When younger, my parents got it and it really helped with lucozade drinks and glucose tablets. Which I guess were an additional expense, sort of like medicine I guess. Things that I required to survive!

chips

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
diet coke and most diet drinks as they all taste vile
Hi, I'm 21 and am having severe problems with my diabetes and the effects it has on work. I have developed neuropathy In my feet and various other areas which I have been coping with. Until recently. I was admitted to hospital as my. Heart rate was over 140 bpm. My sugars have controlled a lot better in the past month but I have been off work so much I'm no longer receiving sick pay. Can I claim support? And how would I go about it? I don't want to claim its more a case of I'm going to be homeless if i can't pay rent and bills. Having a really hard year this year :(

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
chips said:
Hi, I'm 21 and am having severe problems with my diabetes and the effects it has on work. I have developed neuropathy In my feet and various other areas which I have been coping with. Until recently. I was admitted to hospital as my. Heart rate was over 140 bpm. My sugars have controlled a lot better in the past month but I have been off work so much I'm no longer receiving sick pay. Can I claim support? And how would I go about it? I don't want to claim its more a case of I'm going to be homeless if i can't pay rent and bills. Having a really hard year this year :(

Hi Chips,
sorry to hear of your problems.
Yes you can claim benefits. You need to either ring DWP or fill in on line an esa 50 form. If you have rent to pay then ring your council so you can claim housing benefits council tax rebate. If you don't ask you wont get. They do not back date so do it as soon as possible.
If you have a CAB near you ask them to help you fill in the forms.
I'm not 100% sure but seem to remember reading somewhere that rent isn't pd for under 25's so do check this out and good luck.
Hope you feel better soon.

bjpryde

Dislikes
liars and cold callers
disabled due to my illness (diabetes),i cant work,i don,t get any benefits, my wife works two nights a week as nurse the social told me she earns enough to support me, i have a son at college so she has to support him as well my other son has ADHD,its so hard to look after him,my wife is ceoliac,there is not enough money left after the bills are payed she has to pay my bills as well don,t know what to tell the boys that we cant afford to get them anything for xmas, my gut is wrenching thinking about it,my wife cries her self to sleep, does any body know if i,m entitled to any benifits please help? Thank you

kazwbb

I am sorry you are having such a hard time bjpryde but nobody here will be able to tell you if you are entitled to any benefits as we do not have access to all your financial details (nor should we). You need to see the citizens advice. Go there with your wife, bank statements etc and they will be able to give you the correct help you need.

Don't worry too much about the boys, as one is college age I am sure he will understand money is tight. Maybe you can have a unchristmas once you have your finances sorted. I went through an extremely tight patch when my son was 6 and I had to sit him down and say I couldn't afford christmas presents. He said "that's ok Mam, I can have a box of chocolates instead" He is now 24 and from that christmas to the present I have always included a box of chocs for him :)

bjpryde

Dislikes
liars and cold callers
i was thinking about going to cab tomorrow, thanks for your post, hope your son enjoys his choclates this year lol, again thanks.

lottiep

Hi, my advice to all re benefits is go to the CAB, it's a slow process, be prepared to fill out numerous repetitive forms but they can and will help you! I've had uncontrolled epilepsy for 22 yrs and then last year whilst trying for a baby was told I had diabetes, initially Type 2, then Type 1, then a rare form that meant the antibodies were present, inactive and probably would remain so for decades......bloods started rocketing a few months ago so waiting to go back to the diabetes clinic! Have had depression for years but hit the bottom this year and lost my job, the CAB were great with advice and whilst I hate depending on benefits right now I need to get my health sorted and stabilised then i'll be back out there! Not everyone on benefits is a fraud and I hate that assumptions are made - I have health issues that are not clearly visible, sometimes I feel I should have them tattooed on my forehead as some kind of proof!! This country is penalising people who need a bit of support whilst they get themselves together - not aided by the fact that NHS appts can take so long, yet those that are commiting fraud on enormous scales still seem to be getting away with it!! Please will someone bring back common sense!! Rant over - take care everyone xxx

kazwbb

bjpryde said:
i was thinking about going to cab tomorrow, thanks for your post, hope your son enjoys his choclates this year lol, again thanks.

Good luck. I am sure they will help you out.

bobismad

And the CAB can help you with the bills, they can write to your creditors (if you have any) and arrange smaller repayment (much the same as the debt companies do but without the fees they charge you), as the old saying goes 'a shy bairn gets nowt', also try councils trading standards dept as most councils have a team for debt management, or the social work dept, both the councils and CAB do what is called a financial statement which lists your incomming and outgoing funds over the course of a year, how much 'spare' monies are available after essentials like rent/food/elec etc and offer a minimum payment, which I think they are duty bound to accept (dont quote me on that !!!) ..

hope you get sorted

Bob

stephiesut

Claiming for Diabetes is very hard. Its easier for children with diabetes as they need their parents to do a lot of the 'work' for them, but as an adult you would be able to do all that for yourself.

My husband is type 2 (as am I) and he claims ESA (support group) and high/mid DLA. But his claim is based on other health problems he has (he has been diagnosed with diabetes after his last DLA assesment) Knowing how hard it is to claim these benefits in general, I would be very very surprised if anyone managed to succesfully claim for diabetes without very serious life limiting complications. When claiming for ESA they will look at your ability to do ANY work not just your usual job.

I am not trying to put anyone off of claiming, far from it, just saying its not as easy to claim now as it was before as the criteria is getting tougher and tougher.

In terms of housing and council tax benefit, if you are on low income you may already be entitled to help with that as you dont have to claim other benefits to claim this.

Zoe king

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Good Afternoon All,

Please note im not a benefit junkie by all means however when I was younger (under 16) I my parents received disability living allowance for myself however it stopped when I was 16.

I wanted to know whether any other Diabetics received benefits?

I am 22 and live with my wife and have a mortgage etc..

It will be interesting to hear your views

Thanks
As far as I know you don't get benefits for having diabetic,appart from free prescriptions ,eye checks.you enter the maze of benefits when your diagnosis causes a lot of discomfort and pain daily,I have diabetic neuropathy in my legs,just been diagnosed with cataracts,I also have arthritis in my spine top and bottom and most joints in my body including my fingers,also dupitrons in both hands,I've now been told I have fibromyalgia life is extremely difficult I'm on DLA but now it's been switched to PIPS the new version of DLA I'm having to fight tooth and nail to qualify or I loose it altogether so please don't think benefits when your truly I'll is easy because it's not.