Insulin pump and Airports

EliiAlii118

Hi, i have had type 1 diabetes for around 2 years now and i have had a pump for about a year. At the end of july i am going abroad for the first time since i got diagnosed diabetic. :D I am just slightly worried about going to the airport with my pump. I have read lots of post about pumps. I have an Accu-Chek Spirit/Combo. I am just wondering what you do when you get to the airport and have to go through the scanners and x-rays ect. I am flying from Birming international and i have a letter from my diabetic doctors which says "this person had diabetes and wears an insulin pump ect...... The pump should not be removed unless agreed with the pump user. The pump user can safely wear the pump to go through the body X-ray machine. The pump should not be disconnected and put through the baggage x-ray machine as this could damage the pump Then it says what i will also be carrying. Is it best to carry sweets of some kind then buy coke when i am through the no liquid zone. Any one have some helpful stories? Also is it better to give them the lettter before you go through the x-ray? I am going to spain do you think there will be a problem there? Thanks

cally

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I have just come back from Turkey and when I walked through the scanner/metal detector or whatever it is, I set off the alarms at Gatwick and in Turkey.
I don't know if it was because of the pump but I was patted down/ waved over with a wand and sent on my way at Gatwick but at Dalaman in Turkey I was quizzed about my pump and asked if I could take it off! They were very friendly, and when I explained what it was and that I couldn't take it off all was fine. I have got a letter but didn't need to show it.

This year is the first time that has happened. Usually I just walk straight through with no problems.

Riri

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
The conservative party, people who are cruel to animals and aggressive people
My experience was different. I was very nervous as it was my first time abroad with a pump. I was flying from Manchester airport and like you I had letters from my diabetic consultant and one from my pump manufacturer. The official at the airport said I had to go through the full body scanners. I showed him the letter which clearly said I must not, but he insisted I had to. The only option for me was to remove my pump and hand it to them for manual swabing whilst I went through the scanner. I told them I could have gone through the body X-ray but not the full scanners. My blood sugars soared to 15 after that!!! I was really worried about the Greek airport on the way back but I held out my pump and said medicine and they day smiled and said 'come through don't worry at all' and the just opened the gate for me without any scanning!!

gill6183

I always take the pump letters but have never been asked for them. I refuse to go thru any scanner and just request a manual pat down. (this can be requested by anyone not just pump users). Had no issues in uk or USA except one time in terminal 5 heathrow, there's always one eh?! Have a good trip.

Gill x

dowuchyalike

Riri said:
My experience was different. I was very nervous as it was my first time abroad with a pump. I was flying from Manchester airport and like you I had letters from my diabetic consultant and one from my pump manufacturer. The official at the airport said I had to go through the full body scanners. I showed him the letter which clearly said I must not, but he insisted I had to. The only option for me was to remove my pump and hand it to them for manual swabing whilst I went through the scanner. I told them I could have gone through the body X-ray but not the full scanners. My blood sugars soared to 15 after that!!! I was really worried about the Greek airport on the way back but I held out my pump and said medicine and they day smiled and said 'come through don't worry at all' and the just opened the gate for me without any scanning!!

Hi Riri

I had a similar experience at Manchester earlier this year. I set the alarm off on the metal detector and presumed it was due to my pump, which I immediately informed them of. I was asked to remove it but on the advice of the careline I was absolutely adamant that I wouldn't and so the security officer had to go and consult with her superior on the matter. After a few minutes they conceded and permitted me to go with only a waving of the electronic wand over the pump. I later realised that the only reason the metal detector had alarmed was because I'd left a key in my pocket and so for the remaining 3 legs of my long journey, I kept entirely quiet about the pump and managed to sail through every metal detector without it ever coming to anyone's attention. On my return journey I did the same thing and had no hassle whatsoever.

Some folk might feel happier declaring it outright but after the first security check I just felt that it was less hassle to keep quiet but just be fully prepared to declare it if any alarms went off at subsequent check points.

I think in your situation it's highly unlikely that you having to remove it (for a very short time I'm guessing) caused your sugars to rocket to 15mmol and more likely to be the stress of the situation that was to blame.

Riri

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
I Definately agree on the high BSs and stress front - I just felt so nervous beforehand (stupid I know) and then the palava and attention just made it 100 times worse. More confidence needed next time!!

Amanda4Wilow

Hi,
My son has been diabetic since 18 months old, he's now 12years and we've had an insulin pump for 2 years now. I've flown lots of time and my general experience is just say to the officials, you've got an insulin pump, even show it openly (if it's easily accessible). He's never been asked for proof, only given a quick run over with the wand and that was that. He's never had to take it off, or to show his cannula site, but him being only 12 may have some influence on the officials perhaps. I've gone through around 3 different uk airports and 5 foreign ones (we get around!) and it's never been a problem at all. I've had to open my bags a few time because test strips sometimes have them puzzled, as do the cannula spares but if you keep it light and don't get awkward, then neither do they.
Having to turn off the bluetooth is more of a hassle, and yes, his blood sugars do go high for a few hours afterwards...but what can you expect when you're stressed AND sat immobile for hours.
Just relax and enjoy the holiday...

borofergie

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Racism, Sexism, Homophobia
Amanda4Wilow said:
Having to turn off the bluetooth is more of a hassle, and yes, his blood sugars do go high for a few hours afterwards...but what can you expect when you're stressed AND sat immobile for hours.

A little hint here: if you accidently "forget" to turn the Bluetooth off, then it probably won't make the plane crash.

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
borofergie said:
Amanda4Wilow said:

A little hint here: if you accidently "forget" to turn the Bluetooth off, then it probably won't make the plane crash.

Only probably? :shock: :lol: Can you offer any better odds? :lol:

Riri

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Oops - must remember that bit next time....arghhh! :crazy:

Janerd

Hi, I have found this thread very interesting as we are travelling to portugal next week. This will be our first trip since my daughter went on the pump having travelled many times with injection pens.
This may seem a daft question but can she walk through that arched scanner thing by the X-ray machine that your hand luggage and bits go through. I assume this is ok. When people keep mentioning not going through a scanner I understand this to be a full body scanner which I've only ever been through once about 3yrs ago. Also, I take it the wand thing is ok too?
We have a loan pump to take as well but this seems like it could be more hassle than its worth. She will need to carry this also and I worry that i may forget to take it out of the bag (daft I know but we all know how manic airport security can be). Also if there is any damage it will cosy me £2800 to replace. Is the pump safe to go through if it is switched off without batteries

maria030660

Dislikes
backstabbers, brocoli and dirt toilets...uggghhhh
hi,

I have travelled all over the world for my work but never i experienced problems. I carry a device message and also i always carry a medical passport with me. This allows me to pass through security with orange juice, food etc. never ever take your pump off, if they request it call for a senior person!

JanieMc

I've never been asked to take it off. In fact there's only ever been one problem (out of maybe ten airports) JFK in New York on the way back to the UK put me armed guard! It was about six months after 9/11. I joins the queue for people carrying medical stuff. They had clearly never seen anything like it. Jobs with limited training. Doh! Like the others, my BG went sky high. I over corrected and then had a hypo during takeoff. Lol