What Should My BS Be 2hrs After Food?

Pazaz

Im taken Metphormin, Saxaglyptin and Gliclacide AM and PM and only recently been prescribed the latter in a last ditch attempt before Insulin.

If my results dont get better it looks like its inevitable I will then be prescribed Insulin.

I am still constantly urinating and my BS seem to be better however dietician confirmed im not eating enough carbs with some meals.

The reason I avoid the carbs eg wholemeal bread and pasta etc is because they have a massive impact on my BS even 2 hrs after food.

Before I return to the doctors I just want to be sure what my 2hr reading should ideally be?

Any help/guidance offered would be greatly apprecited.

Many Thanks

gally

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi i think ive read on this site somewhere that it should be somewhere in the region of under 8.5 hope this helps but ive only been diagnosed for 5 weeks so someone on here might be more experienced to give you advice
:D

klt662

Personally I've ignored the advice from hcps to eats lots of carbs, I've reduced them until my meter gives my readings I'm happy with (under 7.5 always, mostly quite a bit lower) - to do this I've had to remove approx 95% of potatoes, pasta, bread, flour rice etc from my diet. my hcps may not entirely approve of my methods but they are absolutely delighted with the results it gives! If a dietician told me I wasn't eating enough carbs I wold ignore them.

When I first started reducing carbs I did so slowly because I was on glicazide so wanted to keep a good eye on levels to make sure I avoided hypos - I had none and now don't need glicazide but think I was right to be careful.

Hope this helps.
Best of luck!

IanD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Carbohydrates
Pazaz said:
Im taken Metphormin, Saxaglyptin and Gliclacide AM and PM and only recently been prescribed the latter in a last ditch attempt before Insulin.

If my results dont get better it looks like its inevitable I will then be prescribed Insulin.

I am still constantly urinating and my BS seem to be better however dietician confirmed im not eating enough carbs with some meals.

The reason I avoid the carbs eg wholemeal bread and pasta etc is because they have a massive impact on my BS even 2 hrs after food.

Before I return to the doctors I just want to be sure what my 2hr reading should ideally be?

Any help/guidance offered would be greatly apprecited.

Many Thanks
Reports from others are that insulin is not a "failure" but the help they need.

Sadly it is your dietitian who is giving the advice that causes poor control. You do not need carbs, & the best diet is to reduce carbs to a level that gives satisfactory control. If that means NO bread/potatoes/rice/cereal/pasta, then you you will only feel the benefit.

I followed similar dietitian's advice - plenty of starchy carbs ... until debilitating complications set in. Advice from this forum led me to cutting the carbs - & my health rapidly improved. 4 1/2 years on I am well & free from complications.

Other adjustments to diet will include increasing veg & eating full fat cheese, nuts, etc. Fat is more sustaining than carbs, & so is less fattening in energy terms. I have found that a cereal b'fast causes a 1 hour spike that drops to an acceptable level after 2 hours. The 2 hour test disguises the dangerous spike from carby foods.

Nik442

Hi, GP told me i should be aiming for BS levels of 5/6/7. I'm currently running at 5 to 6.5. i've cut out pots, rice and pasta but including one slice of wholemeal bread a day and plenty of berries with 50g muller light yoghurt per serving.

Nik

Catsymoo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Having diabetes
Hi Pazaz. You sound exactly like me. I was also on Metformin and Glic before insulin, just to see how it went.
If you are new diagnosed, just try to keep it in single figures and worry about tighter control when your doctors figure out the best medication, and when your body settles down. If I have learned anything about diabetes it's patience is key. It's kind of like getting fit when you are out of shape - you aren't going to see much results in the beginning. It takes some diabetics years to get their sugars right. I was diagnosed in June and I have just recently got my sugars under better control. I used to be fine keeping it under 10, but now I am still adjusting my insulin dose slowly and trying to keep it under 7.5 at all times, lower the better. But like I said, do not worry about tighter control, your priority for now should be just to get it in single figures at all times.

I will be honest with you though, it's not easy, especially in the beginning. If you do go on insulin, don't be surprised if you're still running at high levels sometimes. It does get easier, of course. And trust me injecting insulin is SO worth being able to eat more freely. Don't be afraid! Your frequent urination will stop with a little bit of time, don't worry. It takes your body a long time to adjust to the change and get back to normal! You will most likely feel very hungry all the time as well, that stops when your BG gets normal again.

I would like to know more about your levels and more info about your diabetes if that's alright, so I can help as much as I can. :) Feel free to PM me if you wish. I hope I can help.

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
Pazaz
the guidelines say you should not be above 8.5 2 hours after a meal. A non-diabetic is unlikely to get that high even after a full bowl of pasta, thus Iset my own tqarget lower at about 6.
You have observed correctly that some foods do have a large impact even though dieticians often recommend them.
Many people who don't want bg to rise too high do as you do and leave out those foods. You will not come to any harm by leaving out carbs. If a dietician tells you different, ask for the list of specific symptoms and you'll find there are none, excepty hypo for people using insulin or sulphonylureas. They may tell you. you'll go short on vitamins or minerals. there are none of those which you can't get elsewhere. If you cut back on all foods that originate from grains or starchy root veggies, your bg will not climb up out of the safe area, which is probably under 7.
It makes little difference if you eat white bread or wholemeal, white rice or brown, white pasta or wholemeal.
Essentially anything that started out as a grain, is highly processed before you eat it and full of unnecessary carbs.
Hana