How long have you been diagnosed?

How long have you been diagnosed with diabetes?

• 0-3 yrs

Votes: 34 42.0%
  • 4-6 yrs

Votes: 9 11.1%
  • 7-9 yrs

Votes: 4 4.9%
  • 10-15 yrs

Votes: 10 12.3%
  • 16-20 yrs

Votes: 8 9.9%
  • 21-24 yrs

Votes: 4 4.9%
  • 25+ yrs

Votes: 12 14.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Giverny

Admin
Administrator
Type of diabetes
Friend
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
Dishonest people, pessimism, spiders, mushrooms.
Thread title says it all - how long have you been diagnosed with diabetes? Choose a poll option.

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
Why stop at 25 + there are people here who have been diagnosed nearly 60 years?
Other options given have only 4 or 5 years between them yet the 25 + could mean anything.

Giverny

Admin
Administrator
Type of diabetes
Friend
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
Dishonest people, pessimism, spiders, mushrooms.
CarbsRok said:
Why stop at 25 + there are people here who have been diagnosed nearly 60 years?
Other options given have only 4 or 5 years between them yet the 25 + could mean anything.
There's only a certain amount of options, and anything after 25 years is just astounding! People are welcome to post a reply if they've been diagnosed for longer :thumbup:

Taz666

Giverny said:
Thread title says it all - how long have you been diagnosed with diabetes? Choose a poll option.
I have been diagnosed for 4 years + but to be honest with you the help and advice I have been given ( not ) has been non exsistant. I am the one having to find out how many blood tests I need a year, when I need to take my wee in, etc etc . I was given a blood monitoring device then told I do not need to test my bloods. After all this time I am STILL totally confused and I am now the worst diabetic on the planet as I eat basically what I want. I am on Metformin 850mg and Gliclazide 80 mg, I have no idea what the '' 8 '' tests Im supposed to have yearly as nobody has sat me down and explained this. Trying to get an appointment with my diabetic nurse at the surgery is like trying to find Lord Lucan!!!! Arggggghhhhhh. :evil:
Lesley

monkeymutha

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
27 years here. No complications just a bit of background retinopathy which docs are keeping an eye on every 3 months had no treatment for it and eyesight is fine touch wood. I keep fit myself and my mum was T1 and caught me early when I was 13. My diet isn't great and I spent approx 10 years not caring about it but now keep a good check on myself. When I was diagnised at 13 it really ruined my confidence in everything but now I just live a normal life. Have a young son and do worry about him as it is hereditary. Did my first finger test on him a couple of weeks ago, he is only 3, he didn't feel a thing result was normal.

gardenfairy

monkeymutha said:
27 years here. No complications just a bit of background retinopathy which docs are keeping an eye on every 3 months had no treatment for it and eyesight is fine touch wood. I keep fit myself and my mum was T1 and caught me early when I was 13. My diet isn't great and I spent approx 10 years not caring about it but now keep a good check on myself. When I was diagnised at 13 it really ruined my confidence in everything but now I just live a normal life. Have a young son and do worry about him as it is hereditary. Did my first finger test on him a couple of weeks ago, he is only 3, he didn't feel a thing result was normal.

Do you find you are constantly looking for signs? I am trying really hard not to test my little boy, but is is soooo difficult, he was drinking tonnes the other day and I really had to stop myself from testing, he was just thirsty... When is it right to test? arrgghh.. I find this part of being a diabetic mum the hardest!

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
I'm in the lowest % at the moment RRB

monkeymutha

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
gardenfairy said:
Do you find you are constantly looking for signs? I am trying really hard not to test my little boy, but is is soooo difficult, he was drinking tonnes the other day and I really had to stop myself from testing, he was just thirsty... When is it right to test? arrgghh.. I find this part of being a diabetic mum the hardest!

Try to remember all the symptoms, especially lethargy/tiredness/thirst/weeing lots (due to the drinking). I don't think there are any other symptoms than those that you would notice. You could always do a urine test which would be easier on your kid, if possible, mines still in nappies so would be no good. My boy always watches me do tests, etc. Maybe he won't like being tested as he gets older but I am responsible for him so need to keep a close eye on him. To be honest I don't always look for signs, I know the chance of him becoming diabetic is slim. I believe the signs would be obvious when they showed up.

squeeze321

Dislikes
Hypos
I was diagnosed in August 1982, that was 30 years ago.
Had my ups and downs with it but since starting on an insulin pump (Medtronic Paradigm Veo) in May of this year, my control is better than it has ever been and I'm feeling so much better. :D

etmsreec

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
31 years this year. I was diagnosed at the end of September 1981. Background retinopathy that's under the supervision of my hospital, but that's more or less it at the moment.

Gr74

I have been diagnosed for almost 20 years. I was diagnosed a week before my 18th birthday with a blood sugar level in excess of 70mmol

I have had some problems over the last few years most recently retinopathy.

Im still active fit and generally healthy. Good Luck everyone.

kentish maid

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
people who tell me I don't need to test my blood
i have been diagnosed for 9 years so far so good.

Garthion

Twelve years, mostly with poor control due to lack of any communication with my Diabetes team. Much better now with insulin pump. Been on that since July and feel much better for it.

GraceK

Dislikes
Marzipan
Insincere people
Big cities
Vulgarity
15 weeks and 4 days today.

I was referred to the DN and saw her within 2 weeks, referred for retinopathy test and had that within 6 weeks, chiropodist for foot test also within 6 weeks, had my HBA1C at 3 months and have been hauled in to see the GP three times because of other high blood results.

I've refused statins although due to family history I am at high risk of atherosclerosis, heart attack and strokes even without the diabetes and I've explained that because I have severe allergic reactions and go into anaphylactic shock, I'm terrified of the side effects of statins and adding more problems to the ones I've got already. My GP was very, very sympathetic about how I felt and said he'd be terrified too if he was prone to anaphylaxis. I felt very listened to for the first time in years. So I've no complaints up to now since diagnosis.

My issues with the NHS are to do with the diagnostic criteria which leaves people undiagnosed and deteriorating for many years, which I think can be avoided with a little care and attention to the actual criteria used. All the good care in the world after diagnosis doesn't make up for the fact that with better diagnostics lots of complications could be avoided and years of awful quality of life avoided also.

Lucypieee

Dislikes
Diabetes
Almost 15 years (29.12.1997). Aged 8.

6 years well behaved.
5 years out of control (Rebellion)
4 years... Getting better.