Breakfast

Trinkwasser

caroluk said:
Scots porridge oats worked great for me today and very filling made with water no milk. Befoe breakfast 6.6 2 hours after 5.4.

Carol xx

Try testing at 1 hour.

People elsewhere often find significant differences between steel cut or milled oats and the regular processed slush also.

Jem

Dislikes
People that feel just because diabates is a life-threatening "illness" it should be treated with kid gloves and nobody is allowed to have a laugh. My humour got me through abuse, near death experiences, serious and debilitating illnesses and lifelong pain and deformity - why give up the thing that works??
I would generally only make porridge from scratch - from "proper" oats ... but even they vary so it will be trial and error (or judgement lol)

J/x

jacquirs

Dislikes
being ill/not being in control
i am finding the quick oats in the mocrowave once or twice a week are ok so far

not sure about the pickled eggs on rye crackers though, :shock: each to their own!

Thirsty

jacquirs said:
not sure about the pickled eggs on rye crackers though, :shock: each to their own!

Heh. I make my own pickled eggs using heavily spiced malt vinegar, and they're certainly not for the faint of heart. They look unappetizing and most people are as dubious as you are until they actually taste one, (I have converted many to the cause!)

Porridge? Yack! I'd sooner starve to death.

wiflib

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
.....or a hot bowl of satisfying oats (not the instant rubbish) which, when served with thick cream and muscavado sugar (pre-diagnosis) is bliss in a bowl.

(I can hear all you scots groaning)

wiflib

graham64

Dislikes
Ironing, cooking, shopping. Pessimists, people with sense of humour bypass. Speed cameras Traffic wardens, Nanny state and Hypocrites
Hi All,
I have Quaker oats microwave sachets, after reading Trinks response I tried testing I hour after eating and got 6.2. Tested again pre lunch 5.1 It seems ok for me but like Trink said it can affect people differently. I use 200ml full fat milk to make my porridge plus cinnamon and ground almonds. The reason I use full fat milk is down to advice of my Dietitian who because of my weight loss put me on a high fat diet. Luckily she is one of the few enlightened Dietitians who understands the effects of carbs on T2s and how it can affect their BG. She is very suppotive of the Low Carb High Fat diet I am now on.

Graham

JohnFox

Having only recently gained a Blood-Sugar monitor, my attitude to food has changed.
The monitor shows clearly how my food is related to what i eat. If i eat any, i repeat,
any concentrated carbohydrates, then my blood sugar rises. If my blood sugar rises,
then it stays risen for up to three days.
If i eat no carbohydrates, then my blood sugar stays at about 6.5 to 7.5.
Clearly, carbohydrates are the enemy, the cause of glycosylation and all the problems
that that brings.
I have given up experimenting with carbohydrates and simple avoid them. There are
sufficient other foods that are perfectly wonderful, that i cannot say i miss eating
meals that include carbs...
I'm eating fish, i'm eating meat, i'm eating eggs, i'm eating cheese, i'm eating lots of
nice veggies with lots of butter, the high fat leaves me feeling satisfied...
If i need a control on my appetite, i have some double cream...
As carbohydrates are a poison for my system, my attitude is why bother when there is
so much else that is good for me.
I am down one whole stone from my peak weight, my arthritis is in abatement and i
am resisting my doctors bullying and refusing all drugs...
I never trim the fat from my meats and love to eat the crackling on my pork...
Not too bad.
John Fox.

graham64

Dislikes
Ironing, cooking, shopping. Pessimists, people with sense of humour bypass. Speed cameras Traffic wardens, Nanny state and Hypocrites
Hi John,
I'm with you on the carbs issue the difference with BG after cutting down on the carbs speaks for itself.

Regards Graham

cavelioness

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
I eat porridge every morning sprinkled with cinnamon ....yummmmmmmm

graham64

Dislikes
50g of what carbs thank god your not my dietitian :roll: Total carbs per serving with 180ml semi skimmed milk = 24.8g less than half what you state

ally5555 said:
but u eat porridge graham - average bowl is 50g!

ally5555

that will very much depend upon the size of the bowl and how much milk you use - an average portion is around 40-50g 0ats plus milk so wil be nearer the 45-50 g carbs. Sorry i was being a bit sarky as you said I think you were following bernstein. That was uncalled for on my part.

180mls milk -200lmls = 8.8-9.8g carbs
45g 0ats = 29.2-33g carbs

source - mcance and widdowson - uk food tables.

I would check your portion size tbh because if I eat porridge that is what i make and it is an average size bowl. Interestingly this is one of the things that dafne picks up with alot of people - the portion sizes vary alot.

graham64

Dislikes
ally5555 said:
that will very much depend upon the size of the bowl and how much milk you use - an average portion is around 40-50g 0ats plus milk so wil be nearer the 45-50 g carbs. Sorry i was being a bit sarky as you said I think you were following bernstein. That was uncalled for on my part.

180mls milk -200lmls = 8.8-9.8g carbs
45g 0ats = 29.2-33g carbs

source - mcance and widdowson - uk food tables.

I would check your portion size tbh because if I eat porridge that is what i make and it is an average size bowl. Interestingly this is one of the things that dafne picks up with alot of people - the portion sizes vary alot.

Ally

Size of bowl is immaterial if you use a measured amount of porridge, as I stated previously I use Quaker oats sachets:

Each sachet contains 27g of which carbs 16.2 with 180ml of semi skimmed milk
Total carbs 24.8 (this will be slightly higher because I use 200ml full fat milk)

Source side of packet Quaker Oats, Oat So Simple

I find the amount of porridge I eat is normally adequate to satisfy my appetite in a morning, if I get hungry later a couple of poached or scrambled eggs will put me on till lunch.

This mornings BG results fasting 6.1 approximately 1hr 15mins after breakfast 5.5

ally5555

just out of interest do you use the flavoured oats so simple because I would always encourage people to use the plain which always seems to be unavailable in my local tesco - also I personally find that those sachets do not fill most people up , including me ! I am not diabetic by the way.

For my own pts I rarely find porridge produces a bs problem.

VBee

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Baked beans
I used to eat the flavoured ones and now I am not going to risk it, shame though because the raspberry flavoured ones are yummmmm!

graham64

Dislikes
Nope definitely out of bounds.

ally5555 said:
just out of interest do you use the flavoured oats so simple because I would always encourage people to use the plain which always seems to be unavailable in my local tesco - also I personally find that those sachets do not fill most people up , including me ! I am not diabetic by the way.

For my own pts I rarely find porridge produces a bs problem.

Trinkwasser

Thirsty said:
jacquirs said:

Heh. I make my own pickled eggs using heavily spiced malt vinegar, and they're certainly not for the faint of heart. They look unappetizing and most people are as dubious as you are until they actually taste one, (I have converted many to the cause!)

Porridge? Yack! I'd sooner starve to death.

Vinegar can be helpful in reducing postprandial BG

Not much use to me though, purely from the flavour point of view, vinegar and eggs must be my all time most avoided foods. But to anyone else, well worth trying. Just don't use the same lift as me please . . .