Thank you

Nikkig

This seems like a speech from an award ceremony, but I'd just like to thank everyone on the forum who has given support and advice since my diagnosis! Just returned from my review and my HBA1C was 6.4. The doctor was so pleased and commented that I was only the 2nd person in the practise to achieve such a turnaround without medication! Next review in 6 months when I will be in the 5% club, thanks again everyone xxxxx :thumbup:

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
What an excellent result, Nikki. You must be so pleased with yourself, and deservedly so. Well done :thumbup: :clap:

CathyN

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
prejudice, racism, complacency, ignorance
Brilliant :clap:
And thank you for all of your help and advice to me :thumbup:
Cathx

izzzi

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi, Nikkig :)

That is great news, well done.

Roy.

gally

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
well done hope i can do as well as you :clap:

GraceK

Dislikes
Marzipan
Insincere people
Big cities
Vulgarity
What a wonderful result Nikkig! Congratulations and well done :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

It's great when people post their successes on here and I think it's so important because it keeps the rest of us motivated and encouraged.

I bet you almost skipped out of the GP surgery. I'd love to know, if you wouldn't mind elaborating a bit more, about any differences you've noticed in yourself and your symptoms, if you had any. Are you able to do anything now that you couldn't do before or had stopped doing without realising you'd stopped? :thumbup:

Nikkig

Thank you all for your good wishes.

Differences in me? Well, I have far more energy than I did before diagnosis, I also now understand my body better and what it is saying to me! I didn't know before that falling asleep in the evening was my body's way of dealing with too much sugar. I didn't know that my inability to get going in the morning was my body telling me that it still had too much sugar in the system. (I really did struggle with mornings, very rarely was I ready for anything before 11am) I didn't realise that the diet I followed, which would to many people would be healthy ( I ate far more than than my five a day and also had pasta and rice regularly) was actually slowly making me very ill.

Although I knew that as my mother had had type 2, I was more liable to develop it too, I ignored a lot of the warning signs due to family circumstances. My Aunt, who had been my legal guardian since I was 4 months old, was nearing the end of a terminal illness and at the time all I wanted was for her to die with dignity, which was stressful, when she finally died in February this year, after sorting things out I decided I needed to sort myself out.

And the rest, as they say, is history. Weight wise, I am now the weight I was just after I had my daughter over 28 years ago! Still about a stone to go but I know I will do it. I will be the mother of the bride in April next year and I will be able to wear beautiful clothes and a hat, without feeling self-conscious. I wear jeggings now and I am not afraid to look at my reflection in shop windows!

My doctor has been marvellous and has supported the way I have dealt with the diabetes right from the start, and yes Grace, you're right I did bounce out of the surgery ( I also wanted to hug the doctor too, but refrained!!!!) :oops:

Over the last six months the forum has been a lifeline, I have visited it at least twice a day and gleaned every bit of information I can from it and read every report or article that has been suggested. As far as diabetes type 2 is concerned, I could bore for England now! :yawn:

So I'm now back to the person I was with all the energy and drive that went with it, OH is very pleased as he says he has a new woman without the hassle :lol: but it's cost him a lot of money in testing strips and a new wardrobe!!! :thumbup: :lol:

Joyola

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I was diagnosed with T2 on 1st July last year, after a long course of steroids, which turned out to be a waste of time. I weighed 20 stone at the time, and my fasting glucose was over 11, after the glucose tolerance test it was over 22.

The doctor told me I had to change my eating habits and try to lose weight, my asthma and my arthritis were getting bad, and I took little if any exercise.

I went home, looked in the cupboard, got rid of all the cakes, biscuits and sweeties. I cut out all wheat and rice, and cut down on my portion size. I eat my meal from a salad plate now.

Since July last year I have lost 5 stone which equals 25% of my body weight when I was diagnosed, and my dress size had shrunk from a 30 to a 20. I go to aquafit once a week, and I have joined a walking group. I try to get out for at least a 2 mile walk every day, although the group only meet once a week.

Diabetes was the kick start I needed to lose some weight and get some exercise.

prwilson

Well done Nikkig and Joyola, brilliant work both, keep it up.

Nikkig, I'm interested that you say you were eating more than your 5-a-day of fruit and veg and this was making you ill. Why do you think this was? Was it the carbohydrate levels in these foods? Or possible the cummulative portion size?

Nikkig

prwilson said:
Well done Nikkig and Joyola, brilliant work both, keep it up.

Nikkig, I'm interested that you say you were eating more than your 5-a-day of fruit and veg and this was making you ill. Why do you think this was? Was it the carbohydrate levels in these foods? Or possible the cummulative portion size?

I think it was the carb value that caused the problems and my lack of knowledge about those contents. For instance, whilst gardening, I would snack on the strawberries I grew, since diagnosis, I find that more than 5 will give a spike, whereas raspberries do not have that effect. I grow pears, apples and plums and all of these were used as a healthy snack whilst gardening - daren't eat them now! In the veggie patch I would use all the beetroot and high carb veg like carrots and sweetcorn as side veg and additions to salads and soups, I now have radically reduced the amount of these I use.

As a vegetarian since 1986 these changes were hard and I really miss not having my 2 pieces of fruit after my evening meal, but there we go :lol:

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
Congratulations Nikkig thats a great achievement :clap:

And as for becoming a diabetes bore, been there done that and have since moved through it. Once I had my condition under control for a few months, a year maybe, I started to relax a little, not my control just my attitude to it, life isnt just about dealing with diabetes although it can seem that way for the first year or so.

Your doing great just keep up the good work.