What to eat with a tummy bug?

BeccaJaneStClair

I caught a stomach bug over the weekend and well, things haven't been pretty. When my husband was ill, the GP told us to get him some Diuralyte, but the box says it's not suitable for diabetics....so what can I use to help rehydrate myself other than water?

and of course, the traditional BRAT - Bananna, Rice, Applesauce, Toast diet is out, too.

SueR

I use Dioralyte - it was given to me when I had Norovirus - plus drink very weak sugar free squash. I alternate between the two and seem to cope OK.

Toast is my life saver but that's first stage recovery.

viviennem

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Football. Bad manners.
Chicken soup. Not too many carbs in a tin, and very soothing and comforting!

If you have a half-glass of sugar-free lemonade topped up with hot water, you get a warm clean-tasting drink with no 'edge' to it. That's one of my favourites.

Viv 8)

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cruelty to Animals/Children
Liars/Manipulators/Bullying
viviennem said:
Chicken soup. Not too many carbs in a tin, and very soothing and comforting!

If you have a half-glass of sugar-free lemonade topped up with hot water, you get a warm clean-tasting drink with no 'edge' to it. That's one of my favourites.

Viv 8)

Ooooh viv,
I will give this a one a go - am just getting over a nasty flu virus at the moment.
Diet lemonade topped up half cup with cooled boiled water ?
Thanks for this great little tip :thumbup:
Anna.

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
It is advisable not to have dairy products while recovering from tummy bugs .Marmite in hot water is good if you like Marmite !
Sliced apple can help also if your BGs can cope with the carbs ,it is a bit of a nightmare when you have DB .Hope you feel better soon

CAROL

viviennem

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Football. Bad manners.
Anna, I don't cool the boiled water. If you go half-and-half with lemonade, you get a comforting warm drink.

Viv 8)

mrawfell

Honestly the best cure for a tummy bug, is just water. That's when you are not a diabetic. If you have test strips I am sure it is still the best cure. Don't forget your liver will give you a certain amount of protection. Just test regularly and if you need to, reduce your medication. I am assuming it will go in 1 to 2 days. If not see your doctor, but not in 2 weeks time, the next day, receptionists are not gods. You might have to be firm, but it is your health that needs urgent help.

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cruelty to Animals/Children
Liars/Manipulators/Bullying
viviennem said:
Anna, I don't cool the boiled water. If you go half-and-half with lemonade, you get a comforting warm drink.

Viv 8)
Gotcha :thumbup:
Thanks viv will try this tonight [no lemonade in yet!]

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
When I get this type of illness I just totally avoid all diary produce as these tend to aggravate this type of sickness and if I am unable to eat anything I do drink Dioralyte, which may not be recommended for diabetics but it does help to keep you hydrated which is very important if you are suffering from diarrhea and sickness.

The good side to this type of illness (if there is one) is that I find I usually loose a few pounds through not eating :thumbup:

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
My GP said water is sufficient for re-hydration. "If you need minerals, you probably need IV."
However any sugar free drinks are fine.
Hana

Etty

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I vote for chicken soup--cut up a chicken and simmer for an hour or so (or use a slow cooker) with an onion and drink the stock. It's delicious and so comforting, and you probably get some minerals from the bones. I keep some in the freezer from roast chickern carcasses.

Reactions: 2 people

SueR

My GP gave me the Dioralyte and advised me to use it whenever I had a stomach bug. I was told to drink whatever I could keep down - other than milky things. Basically to get fluid in and also to eat as soon as I felt up to it. The aim was to get the body back to normal as soon as possible and to give me the strength to fight off the infection. Norovirus isn't pleasant and I was glad to see the back of it !

peecee

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
I always stick to bottled water and only that for first 24-36 hours that gives your system a good flush out :roll: :roll: :roll: