new potatoes vs. brown rice for BS spikes?

goji

If you had to choose between a small portion of brown rice or about 4 baby new potatoes - which would least spike your blood sugars?

Thanks
Goji

IanD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Carbohydrates
goji said:
If you had to choose between a small portion of brown rice or about 4 baby new potatoes - which would least spike your blood sugars?

Thanks
Goji
Only you can answer that question - try it & measure after 1 & 2 hours.

Snodger

IanD said:
Only you can answer that question - try it & measure after 1 & 2 hours.
this is very true.
However if it were me, the taters would spike me and the brown rice would probably delay a spike so much I'd go hypo. But that's a T1 response and also just my body.
I'd be interested actually in how much the T2 and T1 responses would vary.

Napolyon1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
New potatoes have greater amount of starch than Brown rice so potatoes would give you the quicker spike.

Paul_c

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
new potatoes would give you a higher, but shorter duration spike...

personally I wouldn't have either of them... but if I was forced to, I'd choose the new potatoes as the short sharp spike is less damaging (In My Opinion) than a slow spike.. I'd also ameliorate the potatoes with loads of real butter...

PS. T2 Diet & Exercise only... And I eat to my meter... as in I never eat more carbs in a meal than would take me outside the NICE guidelines for the 2 hour post prandial test. Any more than 25g total in a meal will leave me above the NICE guideline...

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
100g potatoes have about 18- 20g carb
100g cooked brown rice has about 24-28 of carb

Waxy new potatoes are lower on the glycemic index than most types of rice.( though there are a few varieties of rice that have very low GIs)
A food with a lower GI should have a lower spike.
Therefore assuming the same weight I'd think that in most cases that the potatoes would cause a lower rise.
However, what is a small portion of of rice ? Does it weigh less or more than the potatoes?

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
I usually only eat Basmati rice except when having a take-away, the timing of my insulin injection plays an important role in avoiding postprandial spikes, with the rice I inject just before the meal as with potatoes I'll inject 10 minutes before.

Hard to choose between the two as I love both, however I do tend to eat potatoes most nights with my evening meal.

Snodger

phoenix said:
A food with a lower GI should have a lower spike.
Therefore assuming the same weight I'd think that in most cases that the potatoes would cause a lower rise.
you are totally right (if by weight you are talking about weight of carbs rather than total weight). But what fascinates me is that in my body that just isn't true - not with brown rice, certainly. I actually stopped eating brown rice because I was going hypo immediately after the meal if I ate it. If I had the funding, I think I'd go and do a bunch of research on the differences between different T1's reactions to carbs. I've had discussions with people who say they just can't eat rice at all because it spikes them (but are happy with potatoes) and I've had discussions with people who say they just can't eat potatoes at all because it spikes them (but are happy with rice). And everyone's responses to pasta seems to be different again (although pasta can be quite difficult to judge because there are so many different types).

it's really fascinating stuff. Well, it is if you are me and a little bit of a nerd.

Leeds Lass

my boyfriend is T1 and we eat both and neither spike him, he doesn't have many new potato's and injects one unit per egg sized potato and that works fine. We stay well clear of mash as his blood sugar goes mental afterwards and the following day!

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I've had discussions with people who say they just can't eat rice at all because it spikes them (but are happy with potatoes) and I've had discussions with people who say they just can't eat potatoes at all because it spikes them (but are happy with rice).
I think we become more competent in adjusting with the familiar. I learned how to deal with potatoes early on and apart from avoiding mashed or (usually) jacket ones, I'm fine with them. My first encounter with rice after diagnosis was a risotto at my daughtes, unsurprisingly it caused a high spike and made me avoid rice for a long time. I eat some rice now (usually a mixture of white/brown and wild) but am still very cautious about it I will keep portion size much lower than I do with potatoes and I think that I tend to be more likely to shade my carb calculations upwards .
(I do a lot of slight adjustments to the amount of insulin I take for different meals, sometimes I think dosings a bit more of an art than a science :lol: )

goji

Thanks everyone for responding - really interesting to hear your answers.

I had been avoiding rice as the last time I had a small portion of rice noodles with a stir-fry I had a maaaaasive spike. However looking back I think it was white rice in the noodles.

I do love my potatoes but I'll try out some brown rice for variety and see how it goes.

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
I dont eat white or brown rice, white rice because it is too starchy and brown because it tastes nasty (to me), but I do eat either Basmati rice or new potatoes most days with my evening meal and find that if I eat 3 or 4 small new potatoes or 2 tablespoons of Basmati rice my levels are back under 6.5 mmol/L after 2 hours.

The only way to find out what you can eat is to test before and 2 hours after eating, and adjusting the portion of carbs down until you are happy with your postprandial levels, know one can tell anyone else what they can eat because we are all different.

And IMHO testing 1 hour after eating is a waste of a test strip as everyone even non diabetics will show a spike after 1 hour it is perfectly normal, the important thing is the 2 hour reading which should be reducing towards your pre meal levels.