Sleep problems and diabetes

Wurst

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Narcissistic forum members
This is probably unrelated to Diabetes but it's worth asking just in case. For almost 1 month i've been having chronic sleep problems, waking up in the middle of the night either a 1 pm or 3 pm and unable to go back to sleep. Needless to say i am now exhausted.

I cannot find any posts or web information on this being linked to Type 1 diabetes, other than hypos.

I check my BS when I can't go back to sleep and it's always between 4.5 and 5 which is where i like it. I am at these levels during the day. My last HBA1C was 5 %. With these results in mind i'm ruling out midnight hypos. I strenuously exercise daily so i've also ruled inactivity.

Any thoughts ? Or should i join a sleep forum?

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Is there a possibility that you've had a hypo before you woke? There's probably a 100's of reasons for disturbed sleep, for example stress and worry to name a few, might be worth having a chat with your doctor Cblake843.

antmos

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Could also be your insulin. Lantis has quite a few nasty side effects. I also struggle with sleep :(

barnfluff1

Hi I would suggest having a word with your gp...you may have sleep apnoea or some other sleep disorder. I know there have been studies regarding sleep apnoea and diabetes...and also know there are many people with diabetes that also have been diagnosed with sleep apnoea. good luck

hi cblake, I know how you feel I can have 1 hours sleep at night and then im awake all night and ive tried everything a bath before bed a hot drink nothing works for me my diabetes aint as well controlled as yours tho mine are between 10 and 20mml im thinking about going to the doctors about it iv also looked every were on net with no luck

janabelle

Dislikes
Lack of choice of insulin for newly diagnosed patients.
Dog owners who let their dogs poop in the street-a hazard for most, but worse if you're visually impaired!
Having RP
Hi Cblake843
As Antmos said, Lantus can cause terrible sleep distubance; including vivid dreams so you feel like you've had no sleep the next day. In my experiencee,this sleep disturbance atttributed to me feeling drugged up, constantly foggy headed & the rest:(. If you're on an alalogue, suchas Lantus, It's possible it could be the cause, as it was with me, and it's definately worth doing some research/internet searches.
all the best
Jus :)

Wurst

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Narcissistic forum members
I'm on Insuman basal and don't see any info on this causing sleep problems. I went to my GP and basically he wouldn't give me anything and referred me to a psychiatrist which i thought was a bit extreme and turned down the offer. I've tried every tablet known to man to help the problem , vitamin d3, magnesium , calcium , zinc , valrien root extract , meltonin etc etc
A few days ago I didn't take my basal before bed and slept like a log so i'm now convinced it's the insulin. As i'm not sleeping well i get high reading on getting up (already awake hours before the alarm goes) even with the basal, i guess this is body releasing cortisol in response to lack of sleep. When I didn't inject before bed my readings were normal on waking (actually the alarm woke me).

All very confusing. I still need to inject basal and will attempt to inject earlier in the evening to see if this helps. Can anyone recommend a revised time to inject basal to avoid sleep disturbance?

pippin2345

Don't bother chnanging insulin times(Lantus) l take mine in the morning and still have a lousy nights sleep. If doctor will not prescribe sleeping tablets take 20mg of antihistamine about an hour before you go to bed and you'll sleep like a log. Best one Phynegon, can buy over the counter in 10mg and 20mg tablets. Or any of the old type antihistamines that have a drowsy side effect, although never take this much during the day as you'll be asleep on your feet. Good luck.

Ruth3

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
I would get into trouble if I told you, but I am a red. I support dogs donkeys birds Palestine and Rspca.
For years now I sleep only 3 or 4 hours a night and have dark bags under my eyes as a result. I use my DS or now my Kindle Fire to while away the hours when all I would do is listen to my loved one snore from the moment he hits his pillow until the alarm goes off. The amount of books I read is phenomenal. I do sometimes doze off. I fell asleep in my porridge one morning, and toppled over into the cat litter when I I went to the loo one night (no I don't use the cat litter) we had a poorly cat,