State advantages for being Type 1 ?

bluntneedle

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi I am new to this forum, or any Forum come to that.
I am thinking of returning to England after 15 yrs of living in Germany I'v been Type 1 since 1991. I have just returned from a Clinic where my Insulin was adjusted along with other things :crazy: This is allowed every four yrs. The recommendation is a pump probably a Patch, anyway the thing is if I stay here I can retire two yrs early and I get a week more holiday because I am Diabetic type 1 and hold a (Behinderung Ausweiss) disabled card . Are there any such state advantages in England now ? If there are none I think I would be giving to much away.

abs

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
As far as im aware theres no such advantages like that in the UK for having diabetes. Only the normal free prescriptions if you are on medication for diabetes, free eye checks and also covered under the discrimination act thats about all.

bluntneedle

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thanks abs

Sounds Like I should stay where I am I get free medicament and eye checks along with all medicament as well as the above

Wurst

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Narcissistic forum members
Hi bluntneedle,
I'm a type 1 of around 7 months and live in Germany. I have not been 'offered' any of the benefits you mention you get
from the German state. 1 extra week of holiday and a disabled pass, how do you qualify for this? My German language skills aren't particularly good so I may of missed these 'benefits'. Any advice on this would be appreciated

bluntneedle

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi blake,

You have to go to your local (Landesamt für Soziale Dienste) where you can make an application for a (Schwerbehinderte Ausweiss) (Antrag nach dem Schwerbehindertenrecht-Feststellungsverfahren). You have to of course have proof, from a Dr and so on that you are type 1 and have to inject more times a day and so on. My German was also not good at this time but I went along with my letter from my Dr and a big smile. Two weeks later I had my Ausweiss not only that they backdated it to my arrival date.
As type 1 with more injections you should get 50% anything under this is not worth having. Advantages tax reduction,an extra weeks holiday,two years early in pension. On the negative side maybe your boss or firm want be to pleased with the extra week if it's a small firm.

Let me know if this helps or and it turns out

Wurst

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Narcissistic forum members
Thanks bluntneedle for the advice. I've contact my hausarzt for the letter and this will hopefully get things moving. Strange they didn't bother telling me this and i had to find out via your post :) Did you tell your work directly about the Schwerbehinderte Ausweiss ? I've told them i'm a diabetic but nothing more.

bluntneedle

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
If you want the extra week then you have to show them your pass, but as I said some firms bosses react badly about this so be careful. If I where you I would also get a Diabetic Artz.(more competence and care) (Some Hausartz get nervous with there budget at the end of the quartal, a Facharz - Diabetologie has a bigger budget-I get test strips machines pens needles for nothing and only pay a prescription for the Insulin. Good luck