so tired!

lorri1

Hi, I an type 1. one year at xmas. I am still struggling to come to terms with it and very strict on myself with regards my glucose levels. Probably a little ocd to be fair. I do quite well on a day to day basis and keep them with in the 4-7 range, although mostly by 9pm I am nearly at 8.5 or 9 due to my long acting insulin starting to run out ...I guess? The think I am finding is that there are times when I get so tired...even though my levels seem fine...around 6 or 7. Would it be because I restrict my carbs...I'm probably only on about 50 to 100 grams tops a day.? I eat lots of protein, nutts and salad etc. veg aswell when I have the time. Or is it just part of the condition?
Lorri

Pearsall85

Hey Lorri it may be a mixture of both, I'm in the same boat as you with my lantus running out of an evening but I'm currently taking in 200+ carbs a day for my weight training so im not getting the tiredness, but I do know that anything under 100 carbs will make you feel a but sluggish come then end if the day especially if your quite active.

Stu.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
lorri1 said:
Or is it just part of the condition?

No it isn't especially as your well controlled, have chat with your gp or diabetes consultant and they may carry out some blood tests to see if there's anything obvious that's causing your tiredness.

Tracey167

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi

I get very tired by about 9pm every night but a couple of years ago i was told to split my slow acting insulin in half and take half in the morning and the other half at about 9pm, which to be honest has made my levels alot more easier to control but i found lantus made me put weight on so my diabetic changed me over to levemir and that has worked get for me. I do still suffer with alot of erratic hypos for no apparent reason really i do carb counting on a 1 to 1 ratio but i think my body must be very sensitive to insulin for example this morning i had
50g cheerios
quarter pint of semi skimmed milk

my BG was 5.7 and because of the day before i had a hypo lunchtime i decided to just give 4 units of insulin and at about 10am
my hubby said 'you need to do a blood test as you are low' but i felt fine it came in at 2.1 BUT i had also eaten a bag of quavers before. Can't understand why i am still running low even when i am carb counting.

tracey167

bluntneedle

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi Lorri and Tracey,

I do not think it is the Carbs or how much one eats by me it is when the the BG's swing. My Basal consists of the following 4IE of Levemir between 6am and 7am and in the evening 14IE between 10pm and 11pm. It took a while to find this formular. It sounds like your Basal rates are not perfect when you are doing everything else right. You have to check your Basis Insulin. If your not sure how this is done let me know.

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Please get your Vitamin D and B12 levels tested. A deficiency of either vitamin can mimic chronic fatigue. Vitamin D deficiency is incredibly common these days, especially in northerly latitudes.

lorri1

Hey all, thank you so much for taking the time out to reply to me. I appreciate it. Sounds like I can take a lil bit of advise from all of you :) so that's good!. I do believe deep down that I am not eating enough carbs.....infact probably only around the 50g mark most days. So my own fault in a way I guess but my feeling is that if this keeps my BG's stable without having to take in extra insulin during the day then that's good? I was looking at the vitamin route Indy51....do you recommend any particular ones please? Bluntneedle I am only on 4 units of basal at night (levemir) sometimes having to drop to 3!! because I can wake up with a hypo.... I am told that I am still in the honeymoon period...so things can be a bit tricky some days. Tracey I had the same problem with being sensitive to the insulin becasue of this, have you tried a half unit pen? They game me one and it's really good....depending on the day I can just do a 1/2 unit to 10 carb ratio and I find this doesn't bring me down too low :) it is a junior pen :lol: I am quite petite so this might be an addition reason.
Stu, I have always been very active and healthy.... but since the diabetes I struggle to have any energy for my exercise classes, as I mentioned earlier I probably have a bit more of a deep routed problem :shifty: I do tend to keep my weight at the lower end of the scale and worry that eating more carbs will not only make me put on weight but also means I have to inject more insulin....which I have a fear of as I have read that too much insulin can also make you gain weight?? I have been referred to a phsycologist for some cognitive therapy which I am hoping will help me with these issues.
Anyway thank you all again for time :D
love lorri. x