Such random spikes? Adjusting units..

adamwitko

Hi,

I was diagnosed with T1 end of July this year. Everything was going fine but the past few weeks I've had such a hard time maintaining levels between 4 - 8 mmol/L.

I split my basal morning and night so currently 14/14 at around 7am and 9pm.
I currently work to 1 unit per 20g carbs.

I wake up high (around 10-13). So I calculate, take what I need for my breakfast and also correct to take me down a few mmol/Ls. I come to lunch after eating no extra carbs and I'll still be high.

Come to my evening meal and being under control (lets say 7ish) I take how many units I need for my carbs and around 2 hours later i'm up to 14-15!

My question I guess is how do you guys go around adjusting either you basal or bolus?

Cheers,

Adam

Pearsall85

Hey Adam I'm in a very similar position to you, diagnosed around the same time. I've noticed that a lot depends on what you do in the hours after eating. I work shifts so when I work on an afternoon I find I can check my levels and give myself slightly less insulin as I will be up and about working but when I've worked a morning shift and I come to have my dinner in the evening I might have to give myself an extra unit or two if I'm just going to be sitting down watching tv. So sometimes when your about to give yourself your bolus just take into account what you will be doing afterwards.

Stu

pickle76

Hi,

It would seem that you need a higher ratio at mealtimes, but having said that you'd need to do some fasting tests to be sure. It may be that your basal needs increasing too. So for example have a carb free lunch and test every 2 hours after to see what happens. But I would speak to your DSN first as you have only been diagnosed a short time and they may want to advise you differently, especially if the honeymoon phase is still in play. 1:20 is quite a low ratio so it's quite possible that it will need increasing. Get some advice first, and good luck.

Jo

bluntneedle

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi,

There is such a thing as a Honeymoon period after first becoming Diabetic your body still produces some insulin for a while it can abruptly stop or slowly. It seems that your Honeymoon is over. This means that you have to change your regime to fit. Basil tests first. If you have a good Clinic or Dr. they can help with this.