for the females

manda pops

Dislikes
spiders, football, topgear
hi gals

is there any one out there with retinopathy but you are still able to take the contraception pill if so what one is ok to use.

any advice would be good. thank you x

elainechi

hi there....from what i understand the combined pill should be avoided for all female diabetics...the mini pull is ok but you have to take it at the same time each day.....which leaves the merina coil..brilluant if you.ve had babies or the implant which also last 5 years.....have no idea about using if have retinopathy but i can.t see their would be a problem....good luck x

shop

elainechi said:
hi there....from what i understand the combined pill should be avoided for all female diabetics...the mini pull is ok but you have to take it at the same time each day.....which leaves the merina coil..brilluant if you.ve had babies or the implant which also last 5 years.....have no idea about using if have retinopathy but i can.t see their would be a problem....good luck x

Hi Elaine,

I wasn't aware of that! My Consultant and GP are well aware what pill I take and I have also been advise to take my pill for 4 packs in a row as I am premenopausal and been having major lows with Blood glucose when I have a pill break. Literaly had a job reducing my insulin quickly enough ( by the time I had got my basal down I would be putting it back up again ) And would have 2/3 hypos a day for about a week and a half every pill break. Nightmare!!! Do you know what the reason is?

Lucy xxx

LoisCoxx

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi,
I'm a type one diabetic, and i'm on the combined pill. My doctor says there isn't anything that says diabetics can't take any type of contraceptive so i shouldn't have a problem taking the combined pill and i haven't so far (been on it for only two months mind!)
Hope you got everything sorted..
Lois xxx

elainechi

ok well the pill has moved on and developed but..my gp and my daughters diabetic team said the implant for her when old enough......she has periids every 3 weeks so hopefully these would dissappear..and its ok not to have periods....i had migraines with the pill and there is a risk of heart diease and stroke with the pill thus avoided....espcially as there is a further risk with diabetes

BUT please do not stop taking the pill...discuss it with your gp

i.ve been on the mirina coil for years and its great and protective of other dieases as well as no periods and im pre menopausal according to blood tests...hope this helps....no pmt either xxxxx

elainechi

shop

my daughters bs soar just before her period...a couple of days into it and she gets a massive hypo usually at night....so we.er up trying to get it up and stay up....shes on novamix twice a day so when it happens we just have to keep up the carbs...usually coke.......sugary coke xx

Lucypieee

Dislikes
Diabetes
I had a long discussion with my GP regarding the pill as I've had laser treatment for Maculopathy. I was still fine to go onto the pill and whilst diabetics can go on the Combined Pill, it's not recommended (as I've had some issues regarding periods and hormones, my GP did not want to put me on anything with oestrogen).

I was put on the mini pill in May and I absolutely hated it. I did not get on with it at all. I essentially had all of the possible side effects (weight gain, feeling depressed, heavy painful and extended periods, the longest at 35 days! etc). I came off of the pill in Septemeber.

I've been looking into other forms of contraception. The injection is okay for diabetics to have, it's recommended over the Combined Pill, however it wouldn't be the first choice. I'm unable to have the injection as I have heart disease run in my family.

The two I'm looking at though are the IUD (Copper Coil) and the IUS (similar to the Copper Coil, but different materials). The IUS is what I believe I am going to have, they both last for 5 years and aside from a slightly uncomfortable procedure and my GP said I should expect about 24 hours of bad 'period pain' afterwards, it seems to be an ideal solution for me.

I would definitely discuss all your contraceptive options with your GP and research into them. My GP printed off information from me and she went through everything that she would be willing to prescribe for me. As I'd never been sure of the IUD or IUS, I did my own research into that to find how women who had them found the procedure and the end results etc. That's what really sold me on the IUS.

Ali H

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
The IUS is the same as the Mirena I believe. I had an IUD and was unfortunate enough to have a ruptured ectopic as a result. I now take Cerazette mini pill as I didn't get on with the Mirena.

Ali