Blood Glucose Monitors - which one?

LesleyAnne2

Hi LZ-DEN, I was told as a type 2 I don't need to have a monitor. I guess the expense for someone who doesn't HAVE to test is too exorbitant. I might try again when I go to see my DN in the next couple of months, would just prefer to know what was going on before then as I have changed my diet drastically by going low carb.

LZ-DEN

Dislikes
rudeness,
hi lesleyanne2,i have been type2 for nealy 12 years,and the first thing i got when i was daignosed was a voucher from the diabetic nurse at our health centre,it allowed me to buy a meter for half price (£6) at my local chemist,all the other bits like needles and test strips were on prescription (free)..type 2 is still a serious condition that needs to be treated and for you the sufferer to monitior your condition,i have changed doctors a couple of times due to moving house,but not once has any of the doctors ever said to me 'you dont need test strips or a meter',a meter would give you better control of your type 2.no wonder so many diabetics are suffering if there not getting the proper care they need,i wish you well and fingers crossed that you get a meter (i have seen them for £4 in my local asda)..so good luck lesleyanne2.x regards den.

Napolyon1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I find different makes give you different results, best to stick to the one NHS gave me.

avdyke

Dislikes
Carbohydrates :-(
I also have the Beyer Contour USB.
Very compact, easy to handle.
Doesn't need a lot of blood.
Plugs straight into the computer to charge, also to view statistics and print out history.
One charge lasts at least a month, maybe three (depending on usage)

Definitely a thumbs up :thumbup: from me - but, as above, certainly don't pay full price (there are always offers) and ask for a free one before proceeding.

I assume you are Type 2 on diet only? It's true then that your life doesn't depend on it - just your long term health :?
It's definitely worth asking your doctor to reconsider - maybe you buy the meter, he prescribes the strips (they are definitely the expense item).

Andrew

MikePea

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Garlic
I use the Gluco RX Nexus. My first and only machine. No problems with use apart from the test strips which have a high wastage, or perhaps that is just me. The company will supply a free pen if yours gets broken and also a free cable for your laptop connection and test liquid. Test strips and sharps you have to buy. Same prices as Amazon.
I am at present testing 4x a day and staying within prescribed limits. Well almost. So I am finding out which foods are good and bad.
Also free batteries
Have a nice day.