Supermarkets & healthy food choices at Christmas.

mazbee

Since the local supermarkets started to stock goods for the Christmas and holiday period, it seems that I have less choice to buy the healthier foods that suit my lifestyle.
They seem to be cramming in more sweets, biscuits, cakes, etc, and removing the more healthier options that I normally choose.
My local store has even cut down on Dark Rye crispbread and replaced them with flavoured and fruity crispbread. :thumbdown:

The prices of fresh fruit and vegetables is climbing, also so are the meat choices. I understand that a bad harvest and ressession have contributed to this, but again this affects the food choices I can make, as my money has not gone up in line with inflation.

I do not want to have to resort to buying cheap ready meals because of all the chemicals they add to preserve them. :problem:

I have complained to my local store, but their reply is that it is out of their remit as head office makes the choices of what each store should sell to get the best profit in their locations.

I wonder what road kill tastes like....... :lol:

eggplant

Yeah, I had the same problem recently trying to buy a birthday card for my niece and all the shelf space was taken up with Christmas cards. :-(

Perhaps could try looking in the frozen foods section (not as good as fresh, I know) or you could try searching online for what you need and having stuff delivered (Tesco and Ocado do this, not sure if Waitrose do as well - think Asda also does deliveries). You can get fresh fruit and vegetables delivered from Abel & Cole in many areas.

I haven't really had too many problems in my own local (Asda) vis-a-vis food - still seems to be plenty of fish, fresh veg, Ryvitas, Burgen bread, etc. What kind of 'healthier foods' are you missing? Maybe if you share the gaps, some of the folks on here can help with alternative recipes?

Cheers.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Typically what Supermarkets do at this time of year....... they never fail to miss an opportunity to make more money :) See if you can get your healthier options at the smaller retailers who'll appreciate your trade.

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cruelty to Animals/Children
Liars/Manipulators/Bullying
Superb suggestion nigel :thumbup:

I do this - there is a family run, fresh food home grown produce etc...
They ply their trade in a huge barn behind their farm .
Near my lane - we always buy in from there !
It helps support them and is the best source of real fresh produce for me
and my family :D

Anna.

mazbee

I have found a lovey butcher who sells his meat cuts very reasonably, also I have re-found our local farm shop too, my freezer is now full of freshly prepared veggies (greens) My husband has planted radishes, lettuce spring onions etc, and they are growing very nicely in the greenhouse and our chili pepper plant is again producing chili peppers. :eek:

Found the local health shop has lots of dried pulses, so stocked up on those too :) along with caraway seeds to make a few small caraway seed cakes for a treat like my grandmother used to do (my son -in -law loves these as he says they are not as sweet as shop bought cakes). :wink:

Aldi do lots of cheeses, sliced cooked meats, plain rye crispbreads, also plain yogurt and creme fraiche, and reasonable seasonal fresh fruit and veg. :)

I have finally found that the town center Tesco's sell gravy browning, so I can make my own gravy. Also bought some oat and linseed bread mix to make my own bread, when and if we fancy any. :angel:

Therefore I am avoiding shopping my local Morrisons Supermarket, who put profit before health of their customers. :thumbdown:

I have been busy making soups, stews, curries, chilli con carne, etc; and freezing them in containers, so I won't have to worry for quite a while about food shopping.

I may pop into Birmingham bullring market to source some nice fish, and I will then be ready for Christmas, (food-wise that is) LOL. :lol:

What a difference a day makes! :wink:

Thank you for your replies, they calmed me down and got me motivated.... Happy Christmas everyone visiting and using this forum. :thumbup:

Marion.