Blood sugar levels slightly raised

salamander

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, I was diagnosed in may with a hba1c of 12.5. I reduced the sugar I was eating but not the carbs like a lot of people seemed to have done on here and my hba1c in oct was down to 6.4 and my usual blood readings were between 4-7 but for the past few weeks my blood sugars after eating have been around 9 which is unusual for me.

I currently take 1000mg metformin SR and 40mg simvastatin every day. I only started taking the simvastatin in Oct and I've heard it can raise blood sugars but I stopped taking it for about a week when I was taking some antibiotics and the sugars were still high so I'm not convinced its that.

Was just wondering whether I should be going to see my doc about this? I know 9 isn't very high but it's unusual for me and I've been feeling quite tired recently.

Worth mentioning my blood sugars do go down eventually it's just taking longer than usual. It's around 9 two hours after eating but if I test 3 hours after eating its down to 5/6 again.

Sorry for the essay! If anyone has any suggestions to why it's high I'd be happy to hear them :)

Sally

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. Any infection will raise your blood sugar so this might explain it. Statins do raise sugars a bit but not by much. Don't forget diabetes is gradually progressive. I would ceratinly review your carb intake and see if you can make some changes; the meter will tell you the effect. A meter reading of 9 isn't too bad and my not be worth bothering the doc (your decision) but I would try to ensure it doesn't go higher and try to reduce it thru sensible carb intake.

salamander

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Daibell said:
Hi. Any infection will raise your blood sugar so this might explain it. Statins do raise sugars a bit but not by much. Don't forget diabetes is gradually progressive. I would ceratinly review your carb intake and see if you can make some changes; the meter will tell you the effect. A meter reading of 9 isn't too bad and my not be worth bothering the doc (your decision) but I would try to ensure it doesn't go higher and try to reduce it thru sensible carb intake.

Hi, thanks for the advice :) I've considered trying to low my carbs but I'm really a fussy eater and won't eat veggies so it really would limit the amount of food I can eat and as a uni student pasta and noodles are a large part of my diet :lol: I try not to eat too much but I can't really get away not eating carbs in every meal without starving.

I know 9 isn't particularly bad, the reason I was considering seeing the doc is more because I only take 1000mg of metformin a day which I know isn't the max you can take. The doc decided to keep it at 1000mg after my recent hba1c but since my readings are a bit high and I don't have another review until march I thought it might be an idea to see him but don't want to waste his time. Going to see my parents for christmas soon so I'll be away from the docs for a few weeks.

Really don't want to increase metformin though because it still gives me tummy problems even though I'm on the slow release :eh:

mattr

How are your activity levels? I find the more active I have been the faster the absorbtion of insulin. After a week off work it can be very sluggish.

A 9 would give me a cracking headache which I would have to do something about. :thumbdown:

salamander

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
mattr said:
How are your activity levels? I find the more active I have been the faster the absorbtion of insulin. After a week off work it can be very sluggish.

A 9 would give me a cracking headache which I would have to do something about. :thumbdown:

Apart from walking to university and back I'm not particularly active. It's about 80 minutes fast walking a week.

9's give me a headache too :( Think I will see the doc, I've had trouble getting up in the mornings this week and missed a couple of classes which really isn't good in my final year!