T2 & alcohol interaction, when on Met & Glic

wellwell1212

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Liars and cheats
Just back form a week's break in Tenerfie. The walking and swimming can't have harmed me at all but, I am concerned about my alcohol intake since my reading this morning was 11. I confess to eating too much as you do on holiday :) , I only gained a couple of pounds so, the exercise must have burned off some glucose during the week. I am not a heavy or even regular drinker, usually a couple of pints on a Saturday suffice. Problem is, I was doing that daily this week and using the 1K_SR_Met and x2 80mg Glic drugs regime at breakfast time and avoiding my second 1K Met in the evening since I was worried about its alcohol interaction. What is the recommended use/timeline on a Metformin/Glicacide that one can use whilst on Holiday when one is inclined to over indulge :crazy:

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
I wouldnt worry about it wellwell I dont think anyone on metforin nowadays has much chance of developing lactic acidosis, it used to be a problem with metformins predecessor but not any longer, it is only a problem if you have any kidney damage in which case you should not be taking metformin anyway, or drinking for that matter.

The occasional binge will only dehydrate you especially in a hot climate so drink plenty of water to keep you hydrated and dont over do it :thumbup:

If you do want to be the stereotypical British lager lout and live it large and end up in a pool of your own vomit every night then just stop the metformin to be on the safe side whilst your away it will only make 1 or 2 mmol/L difference at best anyway which would be the least of your health problems if you followed that lifestyle. But I'm sure you dont want that do you :D

wellwell1212

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Liars and cheats
Cheers Syd nice one .... onwards and upwards then :lol: