Mum to newly diagnosed type 1

Robynsmum

Hi all,

This is a first for me, I've never posted on a forum before!

My 8yr old daughter was diagnosed with type1 diabetes 2weeks ago. She has been so brave and I am so proud of how she is handeling it all. She understands the whys and what fors and despite really hating the injections she lets me do them without too much fuss. I completely understand that her little world has changed and I dont want to push her too far but I have been told to encourage her self manage.
I am eager to get her to at least do her own blood sugars, any hints and tips on how to do this would be gratefully received. She is just refusing to at the moment. Luckily I work in the school that she attends and have been able to do it for her so far but I imagine that she will become more confident and feel in control if she just takes this step forward.

Many thanks x

spendercat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Cruelty. I am kind.
Two weeks! Poor baby. Do what you feel you must, but don't trust her too far on her own. In my experience kids on special diets are inclined to cheat because they think it is all about obedience to adults, and have difficulty grasping the concept of it being their own body and their own responsibility.
My daughter had coeliac disease, and keeping her off gluten was a nightmare of scenes, and arguments, after she was about ten. I know diabetes is worse, but the conflicts must be the same. You have my sympathy

Sezchapman

I know what your going through I have a son 15 years old diagnosed 4 months ago, he has special needs and has nit took on board managing on his own. He does do his finger test and inject the insulin I carb calculate for him. I have been told not to push it to soon and it will all come in good time. Every day it's on my mind about how he will manage and cope in the future, but all we can do is hope things become a little easier.

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Hypos! Chocolate withdrawal....
I would try getting her to help you inject and test, it's something that she is going to have to do for her whole life so she is going to need to get used to it.

Could you try getting her to help with testing first of all? If you ask her to put the strip in the meter, you prick her finger and then she places the blood on the strip and reads the result, it's getting her to do most of it, but without having to use a needle at this stage.

You could try similar with the insulin. I'm guessing that you are using pens? So ask her to screw the needle onto the pen, dial up a test shot and do that, then dial up the dose she needs to take before passing the pen over to you?

It's a slow and gradual process but I would really reccomend encouraging her to do small parts of her care with your help, and if she can't self inject right now, it's early days, but getting her to help you prepare will go along way.

When she's ready you could do things like asking her to hold the pen with you when you inject the insulin, you are still in control of the pen but she is helping you hold it. The same with her lancet for her testing. Don't forget testing is more painful then injecting, but if you make sure the lancet is on a low setting that makes it much much nicer. You could also get her to test your blood sugar for you, that way she is handling the lancet herself and using t, but not with the worry that it might 'hurt'.

Speak to her doctors or nurse and ask them for tips - they are used to these things and can give better advice than I can!