Teacher put my brunch bar in the bin

Johnd666

I was hypoglycemic and all I had was a 23g carb brunch bar in my bag, I bopened the packet then..Teacher:. "I hope those sweeties are for me"... I looked at him and was about eat it and then was just about to explain to him and then he over-run me saying "I don't want to hear it", then went up to my desk and took it off me and put it in the bin, and began writing a 'punishment exersise'... So I just said I'm diabetic and he looked at me like a complete moron, and said "You should have told me before the class" - *as if it was my fault* and by this time the class was silent. It was near the end of the day anyway (luckily) so I only had about 10 mins left anyway. So he said to me "Do you need to go to the office" and then I just said "No i'm fine, I can wait"...."are you sure"........"Yes".
Back to reading the textbooks.
I really think their are some communication problems especially when a teacher comes in you dont know so yeah needs some reform.

elainechi

oh dear.....my daughter has this all the time...pain in the ass.......now each teacher has list of those who have a medical problem which a photo of the children. this is given to all supply teachers as well.it tells them whats wrong and what might happen and what to do........girls are a bit more stroppy though and defo would educate the teacher in any means they see fit!!!!!!! x

TT17

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I may have shouted at him if he'd done that because I like most people I think feel terrible when having a hypo. Although I did get annoyed the other day when my teacher said you can only get t1 if your born with it if that was true by the time your 13/14 like me when diagnosed I may have noticed the coma or other nasty things

GraceK

Dislikes
Marzipan
Insincere people
Big cities
Vulgarity
I hope you've told another adult about this because someone needs to have a word with that idiot of a teacher on your behalf. :wink:

elainechi

so so true....go tell someone at school..my daughter was refused to go to the medical room when having a hypo....not allowed to test in class as someone may faint!!!!!! teacher felt pretty bad that this girl uncouscious on the class room floor was not just being a drama queen but was having a HYPO!!!!!!!

elainechi

spent the next 3 months trying to get her back to school as she was and still is scared that she will die at school......also keeps her bs above 11/25so she doesn.t hypo.....but we are slowly getting there xx

GraceK

Dislikes
Marzipan
Insincere people
Big cities
Vulgarity
I'd take great pleasure in poking those two teachers in the eye with a big stick. :shh:

BaliRob

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Noisy dogs and loud music especially low-note drumming
Grace that's not like you love

Mushroom

Be realistic everyone! I taught, we did have a list. I wrote mine in my register. However, when you are teaching 5 lessons a day, doing lunch duty, after school catch-up, working at a pace in class to cover all the lesson content - sometimes you forget for that one moment about an individual child. And yes, some children do try it on. No need for any child to shout at a teacher, Just explain calmly. In my case, I could have easily checked my register. Taking items from children was always a minefield, and I didn't do that.
I would refer it on to Head of Year as this individual teacher should be spoken to, or it could be a problem in the system and information hasn't been passed on. To be fair the teacher did check with the pupil before they left the class (and probably worried about whether they were OK for the rest of the day - and that includes when they got home to their own family).

GraceK

Dislikes
Marzipan
Insincere people
Big cities
Vulgarity
Mushroom said:
Be realistic everyone! I taught, we did have a list. I wrote mine in my register. However, when you are teaching 5 lessons a day, doing lunch duty, after school catch-up, working at a pace in class to cover all the lesson content - sometimes you forget for that one moment about an individual child. And yes, some children do try it on. No need for any child to shout at a teacher, Just explain calmly. In my case, I could have easily checked my register. Taking items from children was always a minefield, and I didn't do that.
I would refer it on to Head of Year as this individual teacher should be spoken to, or it could be a problem in the system and information hasn't been passed on. To be fair the teacher did check with the pupil before they left the class (and probably worried about whether they were OK for the rest of the day - and that includes when they got home to their own family).

It sounds like it's about time that teachers take a stand. All statutory organisation employees are saying the same thing basically, and it starts with "We're too busy, we don't have time to ...". I heard the Practice Manager at my GP practice say it the other day and to be honest, I'm sick of hearing it.

Teachers are saying it, NHS staff are saying it, Police are saying it, they're all so damned busy faffing around with ticking boxes and filling in paperwork that they don't actually ENGAGE with anyone any more. So why don't these people who are too busy just stop for long enough to think and reassess whether their job title actually matches their actions any more. Why don't they start being inefficient in filling in forms and become more efficient at ENGAGING with HUMAN BEINGS?

Instead, they continue doing what they've always done and getting the same result - but God forbid they actually challenge the employers who are setting the bars higher and higher and narrowing down the circumference of the many hoops they provide for everyone to jump through. And no-one stops to question it.

I have grandchildren who speak at the rate of knots. Why? Because at school they have to hurry through life at the rate of knots so that their teachers can put the ticks in all the right boxes so that they can pass all their various targets and tests and satisfy some other body who comes round to check they're doing their job according to the book.

The workplace is now almost an OCD place, with people mindlessly following orders from the tier above without actually questioning what value those actions have.

Meanwhile kids will always have asthma attacks, hypos and epileptic seizures - I wonder what boxes they all tick in the great scheme of things?

If you're too busy to ENGAGE with the people you're supposed to be helping via your job - then it's time to slow down en masse and work to rule and tell the boss you can't fulfill their targets. If you're putting targets before getting to know the children you teach, then it's time to have a word with the Head and tell them you're not prepared to do that any longer.

My friend is a secondary school teacher and a very good one. He absolutely loves his job, loves teaching, spends the whole of his school holidays thinking up new ways to engage the children's attention - be he decided to take a drop in salary and work part time because he was sick and tired of the Head teacher interrupting his classes with yet another 'little form to complete for targets that will only take five minutes'.

There are some people who believe that over time, we're being turned into nothing more than SLAVES who work for lower and lower pay, worse and worse work conditions and who follow orders and ask no questions. With the advent of technology its so easy to churn out forms and keep everyone busy ticking the boxes and completing them. When they've finished one, give them another, keep them busy, busy, busy, doing nothing of any REAL VALUE to anyone but the EMPLOYER who gets richer and richer by keeping the minions too busy to even think any more.

Our kids in schools need to engage with PEOPLE not automatons. They need to be valued themselves as PEOPLE not automatons. They ARE individuals whether the powers that be like it or not or want to allow for that margin or not.

In this age of the God of Competition people are being hoodwinked into believing that the busier they are, the better rewarded they'll be and the better thought of they'll be and that appeals to some people's egos. However, it isn't true.

benedict

Administrator
Hi John

I think the question here is why the teacher didn't know you have type 1 diabetes?

Has a 'healthcare plan' been drawn up for you? The healthcare plan informs the school how to help you manage your type 1 diabetes. If you've not had a healthcare plan drawn up then this could be why the teacher did not know. It's well worth having one drawn up as this will help prevent these occurrences taking place. Your school should be able to help assist you and your family in agreeing a healthcare plan.

Don't take the incident too personally at this stage. The teacher may inside have been embarrassed about making a scene. We're all human.

Benedict

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
Your school needs to be told. Obviously in this case, nothing dreadful happened, but it could. Your school SENCO needs to run a "seminar" for staff on pupis with diabetes and how to respond to situations. Perhaps in a routine staff meeting
Hana
[I'm a retired teacher]

GlazedDoughnuts

GraceK said:
Mushroom said:

It sounds like it's about time that teachers take a stand. All statutory organisation employees are saying the same thing basically, and it starts with "We're too busy, we don't have time to ...". I heard the Practice Manager at my GP practice say it the other day and to be honest, I'm sick of hearing it.

Teachers are saying it, NHS staff are saying it, Police are saying it, they're all so damned busy faffing around with ticking boxes and filling in paperwork that they don't actually ENGAGE with anyone any more. So why don't these people who are too busy just stop for long enough to think and reassess whether their job title actually matches their actions any more. Why don't they start being inefficient in filling in forms and become more efficient at ENGAGING with HUMAN BEINGS?

Instead, they continue doing what they've always done and getting the same result - but God forbid they actually challenge the employers who are setting the bars higher and higher and narrowing down the circumference of the many hoops they provide for everyone to jump through. And no-one stops to question it.

I have grandchildren who speak at the rate of knots. Why? Because at school they have to hurry through life at the rate of knots so that their teachers can put the ticks in all the right boxes so that they can pass all their various targets and tests and satisfy some other body who comes round to check they're doing their job according to the book.

The workplace is now almost an OCD place, with people mindlessly following orders from the tier above without actually questioning what value those actions have.

Meanwhile kids will always have asthma attacks, hypos and epileptic seizures - I wonder what boxes they all tick in the great scheme of things?

If you're too busy to ENGAGE with the people you're supposed to be helping via your job - then it's time to slow down en masse and work to rule and tell the boss you can't fulfill their targets. If you're putting targets before getting to know the children you teach, then it's time to have a word with the Head and tell them you're not prepared to do that any longer.

My friend is a secondary school teacher and a very good one. He absolutely loves his job, loves teaching, spends the whole of his school holidays thinking up new ways to engage the children's attention - be he decided to take a drop in salary and work part time because he was sick and tired of the Head teacher interrupting his classes with yet another 'little form to complete for targets that will only take five minutes'.

There are some people who believe that over time, we're being turned into nothing more than SLAVES who work for lower and lower pay, worse and worse work conditions and who follow orders and ask no questions. With the advent of technology its so easy to churn out forms and keep everyone busy ticking the boxes and completing them. When they've finished one, give them another, keep them busy, busy, busy, doing nothing of any REAL VALUE to anyone but the EMPLOYER who gets richer and richer by keeping the minions too busy to even think any more.

Our kids in schools need to engage with PEOPLE not automatons. They need to be valued themselves as PEOPLE not automatons. They ARE individuals whether the powers that be like it or not or want to allow for that margin or not.

In this age of the God of Competition people are being hoodwinked into believing that the busier they are, the better rewarded they'll be and the better thought of they'll be and that appeals to some people's egos. However, it isn't true.

:roll: Cool story, are you done ranting about all the evils in the world today?

John, very well played :thumbup: but as Benedict has pointed out it's I too wonder why the teacher didn't know, it could of easily turned into a very bad situation for both you and the school if you did pass out!

It's probably worth having a chat with the head teacher to raise awareness of your circumstances.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
john as others have said it could of been so much worse. Do the school actually have it on record that you are type 1? If it was my child I would be spitting feathers.

Two suggestions John, what about sticking a post it note to your forehead with TYPE 1 DIABETIC, MAY NEED TO EAT they should get that message clear enough :roll: and sticking a big cone on the teachers head with a big D on it ( teachers used to do this to naughty or 'dunces' children years ago, in front of all the other children :shock: ) or COULD DO BETTER :wink:

Seriously though, our children are in the care of the school, their health and welfare is paramount and schools should be reminded of this. We trust the school to take prpoer care of ALL the children. I hope your school can sort out this problem sooner rather than later. Best wishes RRB

Ambersilva

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Robinredbreast said:
john as others have said it could of been so much worse. Do the school actually have it on record that you are type 1? If it was my child I would be spitting feathers.

Two suggestions John, what about sticking a post it note to your forehead with TYPE 1 DIABETIC, MAY NEED TO EAT they should get that message clear enough :roll: and sticking a big cone on the teachers head with a big D on it ( teachers used to do this to naughty or 'dunces' children years ago, in front of all the other children :shock: ) or COULD DO BETTER :wink:

Seriously though, our children are in the care of the school, their health and welfare is paramount and schools should be reminded of this. We trust the school to take prpoer care of ALL the children. I hope your school can sort out this problem sooner rather than later. Best wishes RRB

Hello John,

I am glad that things turned out OK by the end of the lesson.

I think RRB may have been jesting when suggesting a Post It note on your forehead. Would it be an acceptable idea to have a bright coloured "DIABETIC" band on your wrist for the benefit of teacher's who do not know you?

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Ambersilva said:
Robinredbreast said:

Hello John,

I am glad that things turned out OK by the end of the lesson.

I think RRB may have been jesting when suggesting a Post It note on your forehead. Would it be an acceptable idea to have a bright coloured "DIABETIC" band on your wrist for the benefit of teacher's who do not know you?

With the smilies I used and then the paragraph starting with 'seriously though' yes it was a tongue in cheek statement about the post it note :eh: Hope all it well with you now John, take care RRB

nataliegage

What a horrible experience you've gone through. Never be embarrassed about informing your school, your employers and your friends you are diabetic and then there is always someone there to help you in an emergency. Grandmother to four's suggestion of wearing a brightly coloured armband, with `I am a diabetic' on it is an excellent idea, because you don't have to be rude and can quickly get your message across to anybody being antagonistic, especially supply teachers who are ill-informed. Of course get your parent/parents to complain to the Head and tell him/her to let everyone know there will be times when you HAVE to eat. Good luck John - be proud of who you are. Always accept help when offered and always eat your chocolate bar when you need to no matter what anybody says.

Natalie
T1 for 60 years

GraceK

Dislikes
Marzipan
Insincere people
Big cities
Vulgarity
nataliegage said:
What a horrible experience you've gone through. Never be embarrassed about informing your school, your employers and your friends you are diabetic and then there is always someone there to help you in an emergency. Grandmother to four's suggestion of wearing a brightly coloured armband, with `I am a diabetic' on it is an excellent idea, because you don't have to be rude and can quickly get your message across to anybody being antagonistic, especially supply teachers who are ill-informed. Of course get your parent/parents to complain to the Head and tell him/her to let everyone know there will be times when you HAVE to eat. Good luck John - be proud of who you are. Always accept help when offered and always eat your chocolate bar when you need to no matter what anybody says.

Natalie
T1 for 60 years

Natalie ... why aren't you a teacher? You're very, very wise and give sound advice. :D

Mushroom

Hi again, Grace K - don't blame the teachers for not taking control. It is a job, albeit a very important one, but if you, as a teacher, don't follow the latest Government initiative, your job is on the line, and your mortgage, and your families well-being. Please don't have a go at teachers who are doing their job as their employers tell them it must be done. This is historic and has been going on for the last 30 years, with every Government. It was meant to be what we paid the Unions to do - to protect working conditions but now we have academies who can set their own conditions. AND I hate the latest term 'engage' .Ahhh!
It's been awful reading the press and people's attitudes towards the teaching profession. The vast majority of teachers do over and above what the job requires in terms of their time (and their money - buying textbooks, materials etc) and take the job home with them.
I have a nut allergic, asthmatic son with SEN and as I taught Food, I had a special interest in passing the medical lists onto my department members. Each child was my child, needing that extra bit of attention, hoping I was doing for my pupils what I hoped his teachers would be doing for him.
John, glad you are OK. Cut your teachers a bit of slack. I taught my child to go out and 'educate' others about his medical conditions. He knew he was responsible for helping others understand the dangers and to be forceful when the situation arose and he needed to protect his health. Diabetic bracelet may help.
I still suggest a word with Head of Year to see if procedures are in place, but on the spur of the moment, 'disciplining' a child who was eating in class, I don't think the teacher should be castigated. Off to have a lie-down.(lol)Happy Xmas, all!