Advice about Ketones - T2

DazG

Hi

Just looking for a bit of info if possible please.

I am a very well controlled T2 and not on medication.

I have been suffering with a swallowing disorder for months where I basically cannot eat/drink properly.

For the past week I havent eaten at all, and barely drank. I have also lost a stone in 2 weeks.

I was very ill yesterday, was with my doctor for over an hour and told I need to be treated as an anorexic diabetic.

She checked my urine and I had high ketones, but with no sugar.

Gave me a test kit to check over the weekend. I have checked twice today, earlier this afternoon my ketones were low, but having checked again just now they are moderate.

I just wanted to ask, do I need to do anything about this? Dr wasnt very clear yesterday as to what to do with my readings.

As I said there is no sugar and my blood sugar is 4.1 at the moment so just need to know if I should be worrying about this, or if its ok with a blood sugar of 4.1

Thanks.

Daz.

DazG

Hi

Thanks for the links.

Its confusing me because my sugars are ok, and generally normal, its just a case of there being
little food in my body, and low hydration, this is why I have the ketones. My body is burning my body fat
as it isnt getting enough nutrition. I will keep testing and ring the Dr's if it stays high I guess.

Fraddycat

Hi Daz,

I don't think ketones by themselves in a T2 diabetic is a cause for concern, as you say its your body burning fat instead of food. Maybe of us follow a ketogenic diet to control our diabetes and so I regularly test for and find ketones. (Ketones in a T1 can be a pretty serious so I think that might be what the links above are referring to).

However it is concerning that you cannot eat or drink, what a horrible nightmare. Surely that will make you a lot sicker than a few ketones. Are you able to tollerate meal replacement shakes? Nutrients, vitamins and minerals are the first things to be used by the body so even though the ketosis is fuelling your body a shake could give you the essential other bits you need.

KennyS

Fraddycat hit on my question..... What are they doing about our ability to eat? To treat you as an anorexic diabetic belies the fact that you appear, from what you said, unable to eat.... Strange to worry about ketones when the focus should be on nutrients one would think.

Kenny

DazG

Good morning both, thanks for the replies.

Well I have been back and forth to the doctors for 8 months about this problem, but lately it has got a lot worse.

I went down to see her on Friday afternoon because I just wasnt able to function and could barely speak.

I was with her for 1h 20 mins, kinda felt sorry for the person after me as they had a long wait, but anyway she was very concerned about the ketones, and the fact that I was so dehydrated, she wanted to admit me to hospital but that wouldnt have
done me any good because I still wouldnt have eaten there anyway. I had to have a blood test done, and an ECG because she felt there could have been some heart damage, I cant really remember her reason for this, but it came back ok.

I choked on some food back in March, which is what brought on the condition, her immediate reaction was to prescribe diazepam, to attempt to relax me enough to eat, I have been taking it for months now and its effect is wearing off, and she wont put the dose up because at 10mg a day, she is worried a higher dose will make me addicted.

She has referred me to a Speech therapist, who is going to attempt to teach me to swallow again as I have lost the natural instinct, though after seeing her last week, my next appt is in 6 weeks time, so its not very helpful. She has also referred me to a Psych to find out the underlying cause and this is leading to CBT I think.

Its taken a long time to get them to do anything to be honest, and its been hell for months, I have tried meal replacement drinks in the past, but it isnt the consistency of food thats causing me a problem, its the swallowing of it, its sort of like the thought of not being able to eat or drink is stressing me out, this stress is then preventing me from eating or drinking, a vicious circle, but Im hopeful that the Psych, CBT will be able to help me with this.

Im very pleased to hear the ketones alone are not so much of a problem, I did think this myself, but just needed to double check and calm my concerns as she made a fuss of it. I will try to crush some vitamin tabs and get them down, I have some here so thanks for that advice. Knowing ketones alone are not the main concern will calms things and give me the chance to get something into my stomach today.

Thanks again for the info/advice :thumbup:

Daz.

angieG

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I don't know what it is called (some technical name) but there is an auto-immune condition (as Type 1 diabetes is) that affects the nerves in the face and can affect eating, swallowing and the eyes. I only know of it as I was speaking to a colleague of mine that has just recovered from it. He ended up in hospital being fed through a tube as he lost the ability to swallow. Might be worth investigating.
HTH
Angie

DazG

That sounds like something that might be worth looking into.

Thanks Angie, will see what I can find!!

Daz.

angieG

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm not sure about the name but this sounds like it...

Myasthenia gravis. Characterized by fatigue and muscle weakness that at first may be confined to certain muscle groups, but then may progress to the point of paralysis, myasthenia gravis patients often have expressionless faces as well as difficulty chewing and swallowing. If the disease progresses to the respiratory system, artificial respiration may be required.

More information here...
http://www.myasthenia.org.au/html/symptoms.htm

HTH
Angie

viviennem

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Football. Bad manners.
In your place I would be concerned about dehydration if you can't even swallow water! That can be very dangerous. If you let your GP refer you to hospital they will put you on drip(s) to rehydrate you and to get essential nutrients into you. I would really advise you to consider this very seriously. Humans die much quicker from no fluids than from no food.

Viv 8)

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
If you are not eating, your body is using up your own fat reserves. This produces ketones and if your blood glucose is good, you don't need to worry about them.Try to drink if you can and the'll flush out of your system. this would happen in the same way to non-diabetics[in which case no-one would worry. It happens to starting Atkins dieters!]
Ketones are a normal breakdown product of fats.

Hana

hana

DazG

Hi Viv, I know, Im getting small amounts in at the moment, so although it isnt great, its enough to keep me out of the hospital. If I go in and get rehydrated, then as soon as I get out id be in the same position that I was so its easier for me to keep trying to drink at home I think. Im not drinking nearly enough, but my thinking is clearer at the moment, so water is getting into my system. Its more a case of fear of swallowing, due to choking, rather than being unable to swallow ( I think ) tho I will know more once I see the ENT.

Does anyone know if it is still safe to go to the gym at the moment, as long as I can keep myself hydrated obviously? I havent been for the past week, but id like to get back to it.

Thanks Hana for that info :thumbup:

lavety

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Idiotically lenient judges
I recommend reading 'The ATKINS Diet'