Blood tests query

Nada

I haven't had a Hba1c test for well over a year and I had to remind GPs for the 3rd time so now booked in but no one said if it as a fasting test or not??

They might do chloresterol too tomorrow?

Any clues folks before I hit the fridge tonight? :/

greyposter

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty to animals.Bullies,Soaps.
It's not fasting.My surgery said that once diagnoses is made,it's not nescessary

Nada

Good having a fishy supper then.

And there's some nutty chocolate with my name on somewhere in there too :)

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
HbA1c doesnt' need to be fasting.
Cholesterol usually does,though there is some evidence that it doesn't make much difference, I .still think most people are asked to fast
If you haven't had kidney function checks in the last year make sure that you mention them (and get them done). There would be a blood test and a urine test
Have a look at the essential checks you are supposed to have:
http://www.diabetes.org.uk/Documents/15 ... 5-0912.pdf

hallii

My doc always does a fasting BG as well as the HbA1c so I have to fast for 14 hours before. Ring the doc up and ask.

H

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. As others have said an HBa1C is non-fasting. At my annual review I'm also given a fasting test (waste of time really) and cholesterol and liver function as well as the HBa1C all from the same blood samples. I also provide a urine sample for kidney function. My GP always provides me with a blood test form for my next review and it is up to me to get the blood test up to 2 weeks before the review and to make the appointment with surgery reception for the agreed review month. You need to ask for a blood test form for the next review.

Dark Horse

For HbA1c, it doesn't matter whether you are fasting. However, our local hospital won't do the cholesterol unless it's fasting.

Nada

Oops read this after moules, mackerel and nutty choc!

Thanks everyone the Hba1c thingy is the important one so I can always rebook for the chloresterol etc. I have been asked for urine too although I did a kidney function test less than a month ago and that was excellent.

Each time I go they remember something they've forgotten to test. So the essential list will be very helpful.

I asked the reception staff they didn't know if it was fasting or not. I knew I would get an answer here.

I had 3 fasting blood tests earlier this year and everything but the Hba1c was done - they forgot.

I will own up so it doesn't skew any tests this time round.

;)

Nada

Nurse who took the bloods - 3 tests??? - said no worries about the fasting. I get the results next week so we shall see got everything crossed my low carb diet has worked and I don't get any spikes!! :)

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
Nada
HbA1c isn't fasting, but cholesterol is
Hana

SueR

Never do a fasting even for cholesterol.

The thinking in this area is that they can get the same results regardless. If all diabetics had a fasting blood test they would wait months for an appointment, as they have to be done early. I have liver function tests every three months and they are never fasting either.

Just had my annual review and things are fine with everything dropping down nicely. So I'm :D

Nada

Hba1c was 5.8 / 40 big smiles all round and last year it was 5.9 now wondering if they were too fast to medicate me!

Chloresterol was a up but I hadn't fasted so have to repeat that in a few months and kidneys working no probs.

I was congratulated on my management :D

Paul Oak

I have to go to hospital blood clinic before work, I usually tell receptionist its for type 1 and she assumes its fasting (its not) and then puts me at front of the queue, saves at least 30-45 minutes and get to work on time. There has to an advantage in having type 1!