Diabetes and driving license

joeyt74

Hi,
I'm a 20 year old diabetic with my 3 year driving license running out soon. I have had no information about how to go about renewing it or anything. I'd prefer to get it done sooner rather than later as not having my driving license would be very inconvenient. Does anyone have a link or have any information they can shed on the matter?

Thanks

Joe :thumbup:

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. You need to Google for the DVLA website. It has diabetes info. In general for those on tablets they just need to be told; nothing else. I suspect you are a T1 on insulin and I don't know the rules on that but the DVLA website should guide you

nataliegage

The DVLA will contact you a few months before your licence runs out. They will send you a form to complete and ask for a medical opinion as to your fitness to drive, and of course questions will be asked about your eyesight.

Don't worry, as as soon as you send your form to the DVLA, you are still covered to drive while they are dealing with your application. Dont worry though as I've been a Type 1 diabetic for 60 years and have been relicensed every 3 years. I hope you'll be okay. It is something I live in fear of every 3 years. I feel we are being prejudiced against, but do know that people with other medical conditions need to honestly fill out these questionnaires. Good luck

Natalie

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
nataliegage said:
I feel we are being prejudiced against, but do know that people with other medical conditions need to honestly fill out these questionnaires.

I read recently on another forum that those diagnosed with sleep apnoea are now required to 'fess up' their condition to the DVLA and are only allowed a licence if they are using a CPAP machine every night!! That was news to me as I was diagnosed with it some 5 years ago and never told to inform the DVLA but now it is different apparently. Thankfully my SA regressed considerably after I lost a lot of weight and is no longer considered a problem :thumbup:

And as I posted on another thread recently the Government are giving powers to the police to roadside check for class A, B and C drugs as well as alcohol and the test will pick up codeine and tramadol as well as all other opiates used in pain control.

Soon the only people who will be allowed to drive will be fit and healthy under 21's and they wont be able to afford the insurance :lol: