Switching basal from lantus...

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Hypos! Chocolate withdrawal....
Hey all, quick question for you!

I've been on lantus for a couple of years and have noticed recently that in order to keep my overnight BG down I need more insulin at night than during the day, if I take the amount to keep my night time BG okay then I have hypos during the day. My DSN has mentioned switching to a basal which is taken twice a day, so that I can have more in the PM and less in the AM. Has anyone had any experience of this?

Also, if I was to take, say 40 units of lantus once a day, would I have to take 20 units in the morning and 20 in the evening of 12hr basal or 40 and 40?

Thanks in advance!
Kirsty.

angieG

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Kirsty,

I am pretty new to all this only having been on insulin since August, but have you tried varying the time in the evening you take your lantus?
I have found if I take mine about 9pm I end up far lower in the morning than if I take it at 11pm. I started taking mine earlier to cope with evening rises as the effect wore off from he evening dose the previous day (I don't take any in the mornings) and I ended up moving it back a bit later again as I was getting morning readings often around 4 or slightly below. If I take it about 11pm it hardly goes down much overnight.

HTH
Angie

mattr

TwinkleToesKirsty said:
My DSN has mentioned switching to a basal which is taken twice a day, so that I can have more in the PM and less in the AM. Has anyone had any experience of this?

This is why I changed to Levemir from Lantus, a couple of people on my Dafne course have also done the same.

TwinkleToesKirsty said:
Also, if I was to take, say 40 units of lantus once a day, would I have to take 20 units in the morning and 20 in the evening of 12hr basal or 40 and 40?

My DSN started me on less than half of my Lantus twice a day so find out if/when they prescribe the new insulin.