Teacher put my brunch bar in the bin

GlazedDoughnuts

Well i tried to avoid wrecking this thread but here we have another bunch of anti nhs/establishment garbage.

Give it a rest, yes we all have opinions but there is a time and place, sadly this thread isn't about you or your views, how is your pile of (as kindly as I can describe it) going to help the thread starter or anyone else?

GraceK

Dislikes
Marzipan
Insincere people
Big cities
Vulgarity
GlazedDoughnuts said:
Well i tried to avoid wrecking this thread but here we have another bunch of blah blah blah anti nhs/establishment garbage.

Give it a rest, yes we all have opinions but there is a time and place, sadly this thread isn't about you or your views, how is your pile of blah blah blah (as kindly as I can describe it) going to help the thread starter or anyone else?

Is there an ignore user function on this forum?

Yes there is an ignore function. But I wouldn't want to bore you by telling you where to find it. Do you work for the NHS by any chance? :)

GlazedDoughnuts

GraceK said:
GlazedDoughnuts said:
Well i tried to avoid wrecking this thread but here we have another bunch of blah blah blah anti nhs/establishment garbage.

Give it a rest, yes we all have opinions but there is a time and place, sadly this thread isn't about you or your views, how is your pile of blah blah blah (as kindly as I can describe it) going to help the thread starter or anyone else?

Yes there is an ignore function. But I wouldn't want to bore you by telling you where to find it. Do you work for the NHS by any chance? :)

Nope, i do not work for the NHS,, im just one of those 'odd' people who appreciate the NHS, as it goes I have very affordable/cheap access to private health care thanks to my employer, but I'm happy with the NHS.

GraceK

Dislikes
Marzipan
Insincere people
Big cities
Vulgarity
GlazedDoughnuts said:
GraceK said:
GlazedDoughnuts said:

Nope, i do not work for the NHS,, im just one of those 'odd' people who appreciate the NHS, as it goes I have very affordable/cheap access to private health care thanks to my employer, but I'm happy with the NHS.

Nothing odd about you. Lots of people have access to private health care whilst using NHS resources.

izzzi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi,

GlazedDoughnuts, your remark about Gracek ranting is a bit unfair.

Her portrayal of current issues are reality and we do not have to read it.

I thought Gracek was a dramatist at first and how wrong I was.

I now know she is a very good contributor to this forum.

Roy. :)

Johnd666

Ambersilva said:
Robinredbreast said:
john as others have said it could of been so much worse. Do the school actually have it on record that you are type 1? If it was my child I would be spitting feathers.

Two suggestions John, what about sticking a post it note to your forehead with TYPE 1 DIABETIC, MAY NEED TO EAT they should get that message clear enough :roll: and sticking a big cone on the teachers head with a big D on it ( teachers used to do this to naughty or 'dunces' children years ago, in front of all the other children :shock: ) or COULD DO BETTER :wink:

Seriously though, our children are in the care of the school, their health and welfare is paramount and schools should be reminded of this. We trust the school to take prpoer care of ALL the children. I hope your school can sort out this problem sooner rather than later. Best wishes RRB

I think RRB may have been jesting when suggesting a Post It note on your forehead. Would it be an acceptable idea to have a bright coloured "DIABETIC" band on your wrist for the benefit of teacher's who do not know you?

Yes, they have it on record...and in scotland the weather is torture, it would be ineffective to wear a band as I wear long sleeve jumpers or else I will be cold

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Johnd666 said:
Ambersilva said:
Robinredbreast said:
john as others have said it could of been so much worse. Do the school actually have it on record that you are type 1? If it was my child I would be spitting feathers.

Two suggestions John, what about sticking a post it note to your forehead with TYPE 1 DIABETIC, MAY NEED TO EAT they should get that message clear enough :roll: and sticking a big cone on the teachers head with a big D on it ( teachers used to do this to naughty or 'dunces' children years ago, in front of all the other children :shock: ) or COULD DO BETTER :wink:

Seriously though, our children are in the care of the school, their health and welfare is paramount and schools should be reminded of this. We trust the school to take prpoer care of ALL the children. I hope your school can sort out this problem sooner rather than later. Best wishes RRB

I think RRB may have been jesting when suggesting a Post It note on your forehead. Would it be an acceptable idea to have a bright coloured "DIABETIC" band on your wrist for the benefit of teacher's who do not know you?

Yes, they have it on record...and in scotland the weather is torture, it would be ineffective to wear a band as I wear long sleeve jumpers or else I will be cold

Hi John The scottish weather can be very fierce so understandly you do have to cover up. All my relatives are scottish and most live in Scotland and my brother once said that people in England moan about a few inches of snowand the cold, but living upin Scotland thats what you call cold weather :lol:
Do you have a Diabetes medical card? that you can show an' tell to teacher whilst eating your much needed carbs having a low BS.

Have a good week John, not long now before the christmas break, as I seem to remember, its about a week earlier up north. Take careand best wishes RRB

jopar

John

Your safest bet is when you are face with a supply teacher or new teacher, have a quiet word with them at the beginning of the lesson, explain you are a diabetic, and may need to eat during the lesson to avoid a diabetic hypo...

Sorry but I can't see how in a secondary school that teachers let alone supply teachers can remember what medical condition any one child might suffer! In a primary school I can see that a teacher should know who has what has they teach the same pupils day in and day out..

As somebody who spent 15 years working in the care field, I can tell you what tick box's are all about...

Sadly as the unrealistic expectations and the increase of the suing culture... Paperwork is about the only thing that proves in a court of law that you are doing your job...

I left the care field several years ago now, purely because I was totally fed up, it wasn't the actually job that got me down I enjoyed that, even though I hated the paperwork side of it... What did it for me was the unrealistic expectations that I faced in and day out, by relatives who were basically looking for a way to sue you!

GraceK

Dislikes
Marzipan
Insincere people
Big cities
Vulgarity
izzzi said:
Hi,

GlazedDoughnuts, your remark about Gracek ranting is a bit unfair.

Her portrayal of current issues are reality and we do not have to read it.

I thought Gracek was a dramatist at first and how wrong I was.

I now know she is a very good contributor to this forum.

Roy. :)

Thanks Roy :thumbup:

ftt1960

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Not a lot
Would it not perhaps have been better if you had spoken to the teacher about the situation before starting to eat the cereal bar? I expect pupils to tell me if they are going to eat a cough sweet in class. I would also explain to pupils the reason I was eating in class.

The school I currently teach in has pupils with medical conditions or allergies identified on the front of the class register. If the condition is severe there is a pupil photograph to be taken immediately to the office for help. I realise this doesn't get around the lunch duty/whole school occasions but it certainly helps. As a supply teacher myself I can fully understand the difficulties of knowing about medical needs while at the same time maintaining a level of confidentiality. It is certainly easier to deal with in primary than in secondary.

IWBDF!

[/quote]
It sounds like it's about time that teachers take a stand. All statutory organisation employees are saying the same thing basically, and it starts with "We're too busy, we don't have time to ...". I heard the Practice Manager at my GP practice say it the other day and to be honest, I'm sick of hearing it.

Teachers are saying it, NHS staff are saying it, Police are saying it, they're all so damned busy faffing around with ticking boxes and filling in paperwork that they don't actually ENGAGE with anyone any more. So why don't these people who are too busy just stop for long enough to think and reassess whether their job title actually matches their actions any more. Why don't they start being inefficient in filling in forms and become more efficient at ENGAGING with HUMAN BEINGS?

[/quote]

I TOTALLY agree Grace, but, I worked in the Civil Service thorough various departments, including police, and every1 hated the form filling etc, and usually every year u would have to spend a week filling in forms of what u did every 15 minutes, which was absolutely ridiculous as sometimes u did that much in 15 mins that the next 15 mins was spent filling in the form! Plus, 15 mins could've been spent more productively on something else!!

However, every1 was told that the public wanted figures every year and that was why we had soooooo bloody many form fillings to do! Then u speak to the public and they say they don't care, just do the job properly - it's a catch 22 and mainly all politics related!!

For 1, I LOVE customer service and when I worked in the police, people who had maybe got into bother with the police were doing so cos no1 was listening to them/no time etc etc and they just wanted some1 2 talk to that had time without filling in forms! I had a guy ring me cos got into trouble cos had been having a bad time with diabetes....I do believe in do the crime, do the time, but he was stressing and causing more probs with his diabetes then, so I just explained what would happen and reassured him about his diabetes and things he could do 2 have better control etc and he was as happy as Larry! Actually, in the end, cause I was trying to help so many people with just having time 4 them, I ended up that they said I wasn't doing my own job and I had to go on stress sick with my diabetes and, to cut a long story short, I got dismissed! Felt sorry for the public after that tho that they had no1 to talk to!! And no, before any1 says it, I absolutely couldn't fight it at court thro DDA cos every corner or evidence I had was shot down so just gave up in the end to stop stressing my diabetes out any further!

I think the public need to do something about all these uneducated government people re medical issues and way too much form filling that make staff not 2 have time 4 any1....but how do u even start to do something like that??? Petitions?? :-(

GraceK

Dislikes
Marzipan
Insincere people
Big cities
Vulgarity
It sounds like it's about time that teachers take a stand. All statutory organisation employees are saying the same thing basically, and it starts with "We're too busy, we don't have time to ...". I heard the Practice Manager at my GP practice say it the other day and to be honest, I'm sick of hearing it.

Teachers are saying it, NHS staff are saying it, Police are saying it, they're all so damned busy faffing around with ticking boxes and filling in paperwork that they don't actually ENGAGE with anyone any more. So why don't these people who are too busy just stop for long enough to think and reassess whether their job title actually matches their actions any more. Why don't they start being inefficient in filling in forms and become more efficient at ENGAGING with HUMAN BEINGS?

[/quote]

I TOTALLY agree Grace, but, I worked in the Civil Service thorough various departments, including police, and every1 hated the form filling etc, and usually every year u would have to spend a week filling in forms of what u did every 15 minutes, which was absolutely ridiculous as sometimes u did that much in 15 mins that the next 15 mins was spent filling in the form! Plus, 15 mins could've been spent more productively on something else!!

However, every1 was told that the public wanted figures every year and that was why we had soooooo bloody many form fillings to do! Then u speak to the public and they say they don't care, just do the job properly - it's a catch 22 and mainly all politics related!!

For 1, I LOVE customer service and when I worked in the police, people who had maybe got into bother with the police were doing so cos no1 was listening to them/no time etc etc and they just wanted some1 2 talk to that had time without filling in forms! I had a guy ring me cos got into trouble cos had been having a bad time with diabetes....I do believe in do the crime, do the time, but he was stressing and causing more probs with his diabetes then, so I just explained what would happen and reassured him about his diabetes and things he could do 2 have better control etc and he was as happy as Larry! Actually, in the end, cause I was trying to help so many people with just having time 4 them, I ended up that they said I wasn't doing my own job and I had to go on stress sick with my diabetes and, to cut a long story short, I got dismissed! Felt sorry for the public after that tho that they had no1 to talk to!! And no, before any1 says it, I absolutely couldn't fight it at court thro DDA cos every corner or evidence I had was shot down so just gave up in the end to stop stressing my diabetes out any further!

I think the public need to do something about all these uneducated government people re medical issues and way too much form filling that make staff not 2 have time 4 any1....but how do u even start to do something like that??? Petitions?? :-([/quote]

Unfortunately, we're in the age of technology. Technology focuses on the impersonal form filling, data producing drivel that they say 'the public demands'. People skills focuses on people and interacting with them. Give me a doctor or a nurse who actually takes their eyes off the computer and swivels their chair round and looks at me for signs and symptoms any day. The problem with technology is it can churn out drivel faster than the average human being can keep up with it and this is what's happening in all the statutory organisations. Those whose job it is to create yet another form, another database can create that in seconds. It then gets 'rolled out' to millions of employees as just one more little thing for them to complete that won't take long. Before they know it, they don't have time to actually DO THEIR JOB, because they're half buried beneath a heap of electronic paperwork that has to be completed in order to meet those all important 'targets' that they say the public demand. It's almost as if our people skills are being bred out of us ... and I think that's very dangerous. Interestingly, recently I think the Chief Nursing Officer made a statement about the lack of compassion in the nursing profession and has asked that training become once more focussed on compassion and people skills and less on computer literacy and technology. I think that was as a result of an MP's husband dying on a ward, after being neglected and left without food and warmth and attention. She described his carers as 'cold and distant' and because she's an MP, she could make a fuss about it and be heard, unlike the rest of us.