How is diabetic neuropathy diagnosed

kaazoom

I was wondering how diabetic neuropathy is diagnosed? I can't help but think that some of the many neurological and other symptoms I have suffered over the past nearly 6 years, may have at least in part been caused by blood high glucose. I wasn't diagnosed with type 2 diabetes until 2009, but I had been experiencing problems long before this. I have so many different symptoms that listing them would bore everyone.

I saw a few neurologists between 2005 and 2008 but it was eventually put down to either being ME/CFS or it was suggested it was all in my head, although no one actually used that term there was no doubt that is what they were implying.

I am pretty sure that I had been pre-diabetic for at least 7 years prior to being diagnosed with diabetes as me having raised but not diabetic levels of BG had been mentioned in the past, usually with the advice to try and lose a little weight. When I started to test my blood glucose I found that they were regularly over 13 two hours after meals and this was after I had started to try and control my diet.

I have problems with my gait, I have had problems with indigestion and reflux for years, numbness in my feet amongst other things. I am having physiotherapy at the moment as my left shoulder has become painful. My physio has suggested that this could have been caused by my diabetes.

The only thing my GP takes seriously is my diabetes, even though I have been unable to work for nearly 6 years. I am tempted to bring up the question of diabetic neuropathy, both peripheral and automnomic, with him but I was wondering what sort of tests are done to confirm it.

Re: How is diaetic neuropathy diagnosed

i have had neuropathy for 4 years now and like you my gp seems only interested in my diabetes,im type 1,
i have numbness in my feet and fingers,my legs ache and feel heavy,mainly this was caused by uncontrolled blood sugars,this is just my introductory answer to your question, if you wish to chat in more depth my e mail is [email protected] or add me on facebook: christopher sanderson
regards Chris

WhitbyJet

kaazoom - sorry you are having all these problems, I had various tests, including an endoscopy (camera down my throat to the stomach), and nerve function tests, ie the fibre thingy (sorry) touching my feet, legs, arms, the tuning fork testing for reflexes and vibration test.
Then I had nerve function tests where some cables/electrodes were attached to feet, elbows, arms and hands and this produced something similar to some graph you get when you have a ECG.

None of the tests are painful or uncomfortable. My neuropathies have almost disappeared now, plenty of hard work learning about diabetes, blood sugar control keeping numbers at non diabetic levels, specific exercise routine to strengthen limbs (Theraband) and medication that was prescribed by an alernative practitioner, medically qualified I might add.

The NHS only offered symptomatic relief, although I hasten to add that at the time I was most grateful for that.

I hope you find something that helps you feel better once more.

Type of diabetes
Type 2
hi i have been having the same sort of problem my dr did diagnoise my t2 but after that well i have been practically told that the pain and numbness is all in my head as i have depression and anxiety problems,once doctors know this then they put everything down to this.I even saw 1 doctor and told him of my symptoms which also included swelling in ankles wrist and elbow and he just said "don't what that is" and carried on talking about my mental health,it has got so bad that i just don't go to the doctors anymore as they just don't want to know.Hope you have better luck

ftt1960

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Not a lot
Whitbyjet I'd be very interested to know what alternative treatments you have been prescribed. I have been a well controlled type two for 31 years but was diagnosed with a neuropathy just over a year ago. I'm still under investigation, as my symptoms don't fit properly but then my diabetes has never really fitted either! Since I was diagnosed I've done a great deal of reading. In August I started taking lipoic acid but at the same time my meds were changed. I was on Duloxetine but Gabapentin was added to the mix. I gradually started to improve but have gone downhill again in the past few weeks. I ran out of lipoic acid a few weeks ago and wonder if this is why my condition has deteriorated.