aspartame

bedshaped2000

Hi all been diabetic now for over four yes and doing well. I think I'm addicted to aspartame. I'm going through endless coke zeros and canderel in coffee. I've noticed that if I drink Pepsi max that I can't stop drinking it and peeing all the time. I'm just worried that although my diabetes is under control that the aspartame may trigger something else. I'm weening myself off the coke zero slowly but I'm finding hard to find another sweetner to put in my coffee without asaptme in it. I get confused I thought sweetners didn't have carb and if there's carb won't that rise my sugars. Any suggestion to sweetners I've seen that stevia in a tab form but it was made by canderel

initforlove

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Dislikes
diabetes
ever put a filthy coin into a soft drink and watch it be eroded away?

do you like the idea of something that corrosive going inside you? the acids the use to stabilise the bubbles are very bad for you and erode your teeth and do damage to bones

asparame has a lot of bad press about causing brain tumours

http://naturalbias.com/are-you-being-fooled-by-zero-calorie-sodas/

and caffeine in some people makes blood glucose soar

have you tried taurine?

it is in energy drinks along with all the sugar and caffeine but you can get the powder and just add it to water and it will give you energy and is practically tasteless in water

http://www.healthvitaminsguide.com/aminoacids/taurine.htm

they say we can make taurine but we have impaired metabolism so who knows IF we make taurine?

AliC

Hi bedshaped2000

I think the main thing is, everything in moderation. If you're weaning yourself off the soft drinks, great. I can't see artificial sweetener in your coffee being a problem, assuming you don't drink 10 cups a day ;-) I was on Atkins a few years ago for ten weeks, and I subbed milk for cream because you're not allowed milk (due to the lactose) on Atkins. That said, you're allowed as many calories as you want on Atkins, so the cream being very high in calories didn't matter - it may for you.

What's to say there's not a problem with too much <insert another sweetener name here>? You may also find that much coke-type drink is also overloading you on caffeine, especially combined with coffee too. Generally, too much of anything isn't good for you.

You don't mention how much you actually drink in a day, so the peeing may simply be a result of large quantities of liquids in general.

Ali

makka

When you finally wean yourself off, and it will be hard, watch out for the no added sugar fruit squash juice drinks, most of them are laced with it as well, as are many low fat and diet yogurts and deserts.

Yes it can be adictive, your brain likes teh rush as it thinks it's going to get a sugar hit. It can also mimic diseases like MS, and Diabetes as my wife found out a few years ago (all the symptoms, but normal blood levels) until she came off the drinks.

If you are in the UK Sainsbury's and Asda do not use this sweetner in their squash juice drinks, and Sucralose while being no saint is better than Aspartame.

Lucypieee

Dislikes
Diabetes
bedshaped2000 said:
Hi all been diabetic now for over four yes and doing well. I think I'm addicted to aspartame. I'm going through endless coke zeros and canderel in coffee. I've noticed that if I drink Pepsi max that I can't stop drinking it and peeing all the time. I'm just worried that although my diabetes is under control that the aspartame may trigger something else. I'm weening myself off the coke zero slowly but I'm finding hard to find another sweetner to put in my coffee without asaptme in it. I get confused I thought sweetners didn't have carb and if there's carb won't that rise my sugars. Any suggestion to sweetners I've seen that stevia in a tab form but it was made by canderel

Hey.

I used to have that problem. I've managed to limit myself and I find the better controller my BG Level's are the less I have a craving. If you still want something fizzy, ASDA do their own version of Coke Zero which is Aspartame free, it tastes like most store-brand cola's, but it is significantly better if you have it cold from the fridge. :)

Other ways to limit is to have more fruit squash with the craving or to buy just one six pack of cans a week or one 2l bottle in a week and no more. Good luck.

C

chris lowe

I've tried the stevia, not in tablet form but powder sticks and I found it very sweet and needed only half a stick in a mug of tea or coffee. I also found it had a bit of an aftertaste that I don't get with aspartame. If you can wean yourself off the aspartame drinks then try weaning off sweeteners in other drinks. Just take it one step at a time. :thumbup:

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Personally I've stopped eating anything with artificial sweeteners.

There is enough toxic cr*p floating around in the environment that I have no choice about, so why would I want to put a chemical that I do have a choice about into my body? Seriously? That's all any of these artificial sweeteners are - chemical compounds. And the jury is still out on whether they are safe or not. So, if you have the choice, why would you?

bedshaped2000

just a quick update. ive cut the aspartme down and my coffee intake and my peeing as frequently has almost stopped not sure if it is the aspartme or the caffeine. ive found tea is my new fad. im drinking twinnings all different flavoures lemon and ginger,orange mango and cinamon, apple and blueberry theres loads and ive found that im not drinking as much fluid now. i tried that stevia in a green canderel tab form and the taste was horendous. i still like my coke zero but im not drinking half as much and surely the tea has got to be better for you as there is no caffeine in the twinnings ones im drinking so most of it i guess is just hot water.